Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Computer advice please

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    What about somnething like this HP?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883147747
    Hi Les, I have a previous modle.....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...roduct=3818798

....... and can't recommend it highly enough, altho' I can't remember the last time I used the touch screen - old mousing habits die hard!

I havent been thinking laptop cause I couldnt plug it in myself.

what level injury r u? i'm c5 and i can plug mine in, palming the cord or using my mouth for the part into the laptop

I own this, built solid, awesome sound, easy to depress keys, loaded hardware wise & great vid quality
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834157660

If it's an all-in-one sleek form factor you're looking at, I'd suggest a refurb imac.
    Daniel

since I'm getting an ipad I guess I'll have to change my internet setup, I'm wired thru comcast cable. I've heard wifi isnt as reliable but how much of a difference is it?

bruce he isnt usually this generous, usually it's just my mom!
    no reason whatsoever to change your internet setup for a iPad. For Wifi all you need to do is buy a wireless router and plug it into your current comcast router/modem and you'll be good to go.

It's reliable enough for anything you want to use it for unless you live in a metal house with the wife signal downstairs in the basement and you live on the 2nd floor. I watch netflix in bed on my laptop through wifi all the time and the signal is good enough to watch things in HD.

As for a computer, the one you listed looks a bit expensive to me for what little you want to do on it. I also build my own, but would think that it would be pretty easy to find a prebuilt pc for less then $700-800 that does what you want it to. Pretty much any hardware in any PC or laptop will do what you want it to do (surf the web and watch video's) these days. So your main decision is what size of monitor you want. Once you know then go from there.
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Nicole,

You are paying a lot of money for that form factor and the touch screen. I am not that big a fan of touch screen (windows doesn't do it well iMOP) would get a standard tower and splurge on a really nice monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883155176
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824146037

These two combined are about 100 bucks more and much higher quality.

Tom
    but I'd have to buy a webcam and speakers too [I saw no mention of speakers]? Are towers at least smaller than my 4 year old one that takes up too much room on my desk? That monitor does look nice, I dont know the brand but you are the computer expert!

chess your laptop looks good it's tempting. I have a feeling the laptop would stay plugged in most of the time if I get an ipad. rjc I meant I couldnt plug it and unplug at my desk that's up against the wall.

Timaru how is the sound? My current monitor has built in speakers and they sound terrible but my mom's built in ones are crystal clear.

Mac fans, I just dont think I'm ready/ want to make the change from windows.

Texas arent there different types of wireless routers? I noticed one of the computers I looked at says wireless card is an N. But if the other computer in my house has a a/b/g or something is that an issue or no?

ty peeps
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

You should be able to get absolutely loads with 2,000 dollars!

For a super basic computer that can internet browse (which is all of them nowadays) you shouldn't have to pay more than 300-400 dollars maximum. That would still be a pretty good computer though, are you looking for the screen or just the computer tower?

You should get one of those 22 inch high def screens! They're big without being too big and incredible to look at.

I wish I had 2,000 bucks lol.
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

misunderstood NO laptop. This desktop would be a buy at 100 bux cheaper: HP TouchSmart 610-1030f All-In-One Desktop Computer With Intel® Core™ i3-550 Processor & 23" Touch-Screen LED-Backlit Monitor $900 http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-1030f-All-In/
    There's
    No
    Place

but I'd have to buy a webcam and speakers too [I saw no mention of speakers]? Are towers at least smaller than my 4 year old one that takes up too much room on my desk? That monitor does look nice, I dont know the brand but you are the computer expert!

chess your laptop looks good it's tempting. I have a feeling the laptop would stay plugged in most of the time if I get an ipad. rjc I meant I couldnt plug it and unplug at my desk that's up against the wall.

Timaru how is the sound? My current monitor has built in speakers and they sound terrible but my mom's built in ones are crystal clear.

Mac fans, I just dont think I'm ready/ want to make the change from windows.

Texas arent there different types of wireless routers? I noticed one of the computers I looked at says wireless card is an N. But if the other computer in my house has a a/b/g or something is that an issue or no?

ty peeps
    Hi Lesch,

It's very difficult to select a computer for someone else. But I can make a few suggestions.

Backlit or illuminated keyboards are really nice. I have a Saitek Cyborg illuminated gaming keyboard and love it. You can type in no or low light. Here are 2 of them- 1 wireless ($89) and 1 wired ($69). They are expensive but you get what you pay for. For the higher price because of the illumination you also get a keyboard that has a good solid feel to it. The wireless one will probably eat batteries like crazy.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ed%20Keyboards top 2 keyboards- 1 wireless 1 wired

Don't get a monitor with built-in speakers. They sound terrible. You can pick up decent sounding computer speakers for cheap. Here are a few 2.1 speakers (the .1 is the subwoofer for your bass lows) in the $30 - $100 range. You can spend up to $500 for a good setup or even $1000 but that's getting a bit ridiculous for computer speakers. Find a pair and then look on the internet for reviews. Amazon and Newegg are good places to look for computers and accessories and good private reviews. Tiger Direct has reviews too... I think. I don't have a webcam for my desktop. My laptop has one built-in. So maybe someone can recommend one to you. I think I just heard that they came out with HD (high-def) webcams. With one of those everyone can see if you have any nose hairs that need trimming!! :-)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...asp?CatId=2893 <2.1 speakers

Don't buy a Touch-Screen monitor. I think it would be difficult for a quad to reach all the way to a monitor's screen anyway. The keyboard is a lot closer. Plus you get fingerprints all over the screen. If anyone puts a finger on my monitor I'll chop it off. Point but don't touch! Here's a nice size monitor. I have a 24 inch Samsung but for what I paid for the extra 2 inches (a couple years ago they were a lot more) I wouldn't do it again. 22 inch seems to be the sweet spot for a desktop monitor... of course IMHO!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...026&CatId=2775 Samsung B2230 22" Class 1920X1080 LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 70000:1 Dynamic, VGA, DVI ** No HDMI

And get a mouse or trackball of your liking. I have both a wired and a wireless mouse (Microsoft brand) and like them both. For some reason I like MS' mice. I used to play a lot of e-golf and you need a good mouse for that and found that the mouse buttons are very accurate on them. Things are constantly changing so who really knows.

Just a few more things. You want to get at least 4GBs of RAM/memory. I see there's a lot of DDR3 memory out now. It was really expensive just a year ago so I guess the prices are coming down because it's very common now.

Get a 500GB hard drive if you don't already have a set size in mind. That should be plenty of space. I see quite a few computers with 1TB (tera-byte) HDs and that's an awful lot of space for the average user.

Well that's my input. Hopefully someone else can use what I suggested and "build" you a complete computer package.

Oh, "N" is the latest version in routers. And it's backwards compatible so you don't have to worry about it.

Second "Oh". Make sure you get at least a dual core processor in your computer. A quad core is even a bit better (I have an Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 in my desktop... it's getting old now) for going into the future. And get a computer that has at least 1 PCI-E slot in it so you can upgrade your video/graphics card in the future. Don't get a computer that only has video on the mainboard unless you really need to keep the cost down.

Take care,

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

The sound's fine Les, easily as good as my sister's newer 24" iMac.