Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Computer advice please

New Computer advice please

My papa gave me $2000. for my b day so I want to get a new desktop computer and an ipad. I'm thinking just something basic, it's for mostly internet use. Any great deals out there I should know of? TY.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

You can try Newegg.com, they sell good computers. I build my own computers instead of buying them from stores, it's cheaper that way. Here is a link, hope you find what you are looking for.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=166059

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    My papa gave me $2000. for my b day so I want to get a new desktop computer and an ipad. I'm thinking just something basic, it's for mostly internet use. Any great deals out there I should know of? TY.
    wish i had your papa
    for that money, i think i'd get a standard computer, ipad, and one of those new internet tv's
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

tigerdirect has some great deals also, they had an AMD 6 core kit last week for 399.with a good video card and an extra stick of ram, you'd have a monster desktop......i'm building a highend 4 core right now for 500 bucks....from tiger........

Would be helpful if you told us what you wanted it for.

You could blow through 2 grand on a PC and not even have a case yet if you want a gaming machine, or you could have everything you need for a few hundred bucks if all you want is something to surf forums and check email.

buy a nice hp beats laptop for $1400 and and IPAD for the rest

no gaming, except for scrabble I mostly surf and read and watch vids, netflix [if I keep it]. So I'd like good visuals and sound. I love my mom's sleek mac so I dont want a tower. I havent been thinking laptop cause I couldnt plug it in myself.

What about somnething like this HP?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883147747

The Sony's look pretty but what are their computers like I havent heard.

since I'm getting an ipad I guess I'll have to change my internet setup, I'm wired thru comcast cable. I've heard wifi isnt as reliable but how much of a difference is it?

bruce he isnt usually this generous, usually it's just my mom!
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    no gaming, except for scrabble I mostly surf and read and watch vids, netflix [if I keep it]. So I'd like good visuals and sound. I love my mom's sleek mac so I dont want a tower. I havent been thinking laptop cause I couldnt plug it in myself.

What about somnething like this HP?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883147747
    Nicole,

You are paying a lot of money for that form factor and the touch screen. I am not that big a fan of touch screen (windows doesn't do it well iMOP) would get a standard tower and splurge on a really nice monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883155176
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824146037

These two combined are about 100 bucks more and much higher quality.

Tom

18.4" widescreen laptop asus most places its $2k. Found this one for $1600. I have a 2 year old toshiba l355 18" with big keyboard and still love it, you can still find the 17.1" for about $500. If you're not a windows fan, linux ubuntu is free. Oh, you better think about if you're going to use the touch mouse on the keyboard and its placement or usb. If you have quad hands you'll spend the first year pissed off. The wireless would be great if you can change batteries or plug it in yourself, i couldn't.
    Last edited by Chess; 10-06-2011 at 05:43 AM.
    There's
    No
    Place

Form and function and it "just works."

For both I'd poke around on Apple's refurb site. Get what you really want. The biggest strength of the iPad are all the apps you can get to go on it. My daughter has her's loaded up with fun stuff and really great programs for quads.