Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: School Teachers?

Hi,
    I've t-9 paraplegia. The kids I work with are learning functional academics. I think dealing with behaviors is the biggest challenge teaching. When you can see an improvement and you know it will make life better for them it is great. In some ways the biggest challenge is scheduling meetings, finding a time that works for everyone! My advice would be to visit as many types of classrooms as you can, and borrow ideas from them. You may decide you like special ed. Once you have your own class you'll seldom have the time to see other classes. Good luck!

I've thought about it some more. Really the most difficult part is all of the paperwork that comes with the job. This has nothing to do with SCI. But for me the mountains of paper work is the biggest challenge. If I were a better organized person it would be easier! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lilli View Post
    Hi,
    I've t-9 paraplegia. The kids I work with are learning functional academics. I think dealing with behaviors is the biggest challenge teaching. When you can see an improvement and you know it will make life better for them it is great. In some ways the biggest challenge is scheduling meetings, finding a time that works for everyone! My advice would be to visit as many types of classrooms as you can, and borrow ideas from them. You may decide you like special ed. Once you have your own class you'll seldom have the time to see other classes. Good luck!
    Thank you for answering. I've heard from some of my classmates who've already observed a special ed class and said teaching these kids is not for them. I've yet to do mine but I'm looking forward to seeing what it will be like.

I've been teaching 2nd grade for 20 years. Feeling ready to transition out of teaching but not sure how to go about it, or how I will manage financially. Just trying to figure it out.

good luck in your teaching vocation i hope you get familiar with your learning outcomes lesson plans, notes, assignments, result sheets and record of work. i advise you to keep your own files up to date and in order to be both professonal in the classroom and on paper. as for learning ability challanged students you will need special training. Again you may have to be a bit more suttle in what you post in the r/s i would not like my students or their guardians to call me out for what i post on the internet in my free time. but this is only personal advise.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Again you may have to be a bit more suttle in what you post in the r/s i would not like my students or their guardians to call me out for what i post on the internet in my free time. but this is only personal advise.
    This isn't advice; this is more of your typical trolling and lecturing
    the people who were creeped out by your behavior. You're just
    trying to make her ashamed of her activity in a forum that you were
    told to ignore. I think you should shove your advice up your ass,
    Miss Malta.

I used to be a teachers aid for developmentally disabled young adults. I loved it.
    I got to work with elementary students a few times as well. I really engoyed ages 7-12 at camp. and I worked in the sunday school nurseries and primary sunday school. I think my favorite grades would be 3-5 grades because those ages are less caught up with hormones, and puberty drama.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Again you may have to be a bit more suttle in what you post in the r/s i would not like my students or their guardians to call me out for what i post on the internet in my free time. but this is only personal advise.
    Yes, because we all know fourth graders have nothing better to do than read CareCure.

You may have differnt opinions on Peter but it is something to consider. You're spot on LTF, 4th graders have nothing better to do around a comp. but to surf the net. I've had students come up to me and tell me little tidbits they found on the Comp. about me.

Everyone knows what is written on the internet, stays on the internet. Just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Yes, because we all know fourth graders have nothing better to do than read CareCure.
    Don't want to hijack, but . . .

Todd, glad to see you have power and internet. What's going on down there? Sounds bad in Braithwaite area.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg