Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: School Teachers?

wtf, that is great that you are going to be a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    Yes, it's even better she'll be teaching boys before they hit puberty as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Yes, it's even better she'll be teaching boys before they hit puberty as well.

She might help them get there faster just by being in the room!

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    She might help them get there faster just by being in the room!

Teaching, Working & Getting On w/ Life...

I'd like to hear people out there with sc injuries talk about teaching or working in general. I'm looking into teaching/subbing and my going for my certification.
    Dealing with the memories of how my injury happened is an issue...though I don't want it to be. The last time I was in a high school classroom was the day before I had my injury. Any suggestions?
    I know you can't let the past hold back your present and future....but sometimes these things are easier said than done.

Kyle

I have peripheral neuropathy with little feeling or movement below my knee. For mobility, I rely on leg braces and forearm crutches or my wheelchair. I'm still a very active Scuba instructor

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    Thanks Jody. Right before Thanksgiving, I did my classroom observation with a fourth grade class and the kids were alot of fun to observe. So far I still plan on teaching elementary school age preferably 4th grade but I probably won't get to choose what grade to teach at first. I was surprised the kids didn't ask too many questions, I had one boy ask me how I got in the chair and when I told him he was like "oh ok" and moved on much like what Rabboni said. It's been fun so far attending school, I've met some great kids (classmates) and look forward to the next semester.

Thanks everyone and thanks Rabboni for your post it was very insightful.

I teach middle school special ed (mod./sev.). I have two paraprofessionals in the class. This allows me to go to the bathroom on my schedule. They can reach the high stuff. I don't find being in a wheelchair too hard at work. I love the job!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilli View Post
    I teach middle school special ed (mod./sev.). I have two paraprofessionals in the class. This allows me to go to the bathroom on my schedule. They can reach the high stuff. I don't find being in a wheelchair too hard at work. I love the job!
    What is your disability? Do you find it hard to teach special ed kids, whats most difficult for you? I just started my Intro to Special Ed class last night, it should be interesting.
    Last edited by wtf; 03-29-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: forgot to ask my question

Yes I was a primary/elementary teacher for 25 years. I substituted only at one school. I was involved with sports and motivational speaking engagements so couldn't take on a full position. I also coached a/b middle school girls volleyball for 12 years.

I started out with an art degree for k-12. I ended up with the primary and elementary kids cause they were so much fun and I could look them in the eye lol. I loved the hugs, high fives and the welcoming "PMS Mr. Madsen"; it's suppossed to be "PMA Mr. Madsen". The PMA stood for Positive Mental Attitude meaning, I hope you do the best you can today. It ended up being the "secret code" all the way to high school. I still get the PMA from grey haired adults I taught when they were children as I ride the roads on my handcycle.

For me, middle school was just too many hormones going on and by high school, their life pattern was already set.