Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Froglegs Softroll casters for Slipstream forks!

Froglegs Softroll casters for Slipstream forks!

CurvySAT05 posted in another thread a link to a new 4" aluminum hub softroll caster, from Froglegs, that is designed to fit the TiLite OEM R6 bearing used with the Slipstream fork.

Given all the fuss over the issue of no FL compatibility with Slipstreams I thought this info deserved it's own thread!

Great news for TiLite ZR/A2 owners!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I'm glad Curvy noticed that Sportaid started carrying them and that you thought this development was significant enough to warrant its own thread.

I'll add that these 4x1.4 FLAHSR's can also be used with the tapered spacers that TiLite uses on standard bearing forks with billet performance casters.

...and they cost only two bucks more than the standard 4x1.4 FLAHSR.

I honestly thought, given the epic nature of the threads about this problem, that folks effected would be more excited about the fix! I was, and dont even own a Ti. (fwiw, I'd still use the Unitine fork over the Slipstream IF I were to ever ride a TiLite ZR2.)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

im interested! do you think they will offer anodizing in colours other than clear and black...

curious that the majority of the problems are with Ti's 5" soft-roll yet FrogLegs opted to only offer the 4". Nice replacement option though.

For SlipStream users who have billet performance casters, I would verify with Sportaid that these casters are compatible with the SlipStream "Performance" caster axle.

It could be that this caster is being offered specifically as an upgrade/replacement for the R6 Lexan FLSR.

There are different part numbers for 1"W and 1.5"W caster axles for the SlipStream fork.

Post edited to add that the actual SlipStream fork used may differ depending on the caster width (not just the caster axle). The diagram below suggests this is the case (Parts 11A-D). I can't say with certainty that this is accurate, however, since specific part numbers are not provided.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 10-02-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Clarification by introducing confusion

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    i was wondering about that, there are no spacers on the axle for the 4 x 1 Tilite Al. soft roll, so what is the chance the wider FL's have the exact same inner hub size? the inner part of the Al FL hub is narrower than the wheel width and there would be plenty of space to mount on the slipstream fork if hub is exact fit. I've wondered why the wheel is so far from fork on the slipstream with the 4 x 1 soft roll / al caster?

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    curious that the majority of the problems are with Ti's 5" soft-roll yet FrogLegs opted to only offer the 4". Nice replacement option though.
    There hasn't been any official acknowledgement of any "problem" with roll offs occurring with the 5x1 soft roll. Theoretically, the "alleged" problem you are referring to could be a series of completely unrelated, "isolated incidents". The fact that every one of them happens to belong to CareCure is strictly a coincidence!

Seriously, however, the decision to offer a TiLite only version of the FLAHSR was probably in response to complaints Sportaid & FrogLegs received from a significant number of knowledgeable end users who intentionally ordered the OEM "plastic caster with poly tire" on their SlipStream knowing it was really a Lexan FLSR. (Why else would someone select a cheap sounding caster option for their premium fork?) They probably ordered the aluminum hub version directly from Sportaid or FrogLegs, then complained after discovering they wouldn't fit.

The complaint probably came after they already experienced a significant amount of frustration trying to install them...
    They should be a straight forward replacement, right?
    What the???
    Oh, I see the bearing on the Lexan soft rolls has a different inner diameter than these aluminum soft rolls.
    I guess I need to swap out the bearings.
    That should be a straight forward replacement right????
    Damn, these tolerances are tight!!
    But if it fits the Lexan hub, it must fit the aluminum hub. I just need to try harder.
    Damn it!!! I just damaged that R6 bearing!!!
    Maybe I can pick up another set at the skate shop.
    No? You don't carry them? R6 bearings aren't used in rollerblades or skateboards?
    This is %@#!*&* bullsh*t!!! After I reinstall these %@#!*&* Lexan soft rolls with the %@#!*&* R6 bearings, you better believe I'm calling Jimbo/Mark to complain!!!
    Having to manufacturer or stock a specific version of a commonly-used caster that will only fit a specific fork used by a specific manufacturer is not something any manufacturer or supplier really wants to do. My guess is that there are significantly more end users who use 4" casters with SlipStream forks and that they probably want to see how well the 4x1.4 version sells first, before deciding whether to offer a 5x1.5" version.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 10-03-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    i was wondering about that, there are no spacers on the axle for the 4 x 1 Tilite Al. soft roll, so what is the chance the wider FL's have the exact same inner hub size? the inner part of the Al FL hub is narrower than the wheel width and there would be plenty of space to mount on the slipstream fork if hub is exact fit. I've wondered why the wheel is so far from fork on the slipstream with the 4 x 1 soft roll / al caster?
    the hub size is the same. i have had several pairs of casters, both 1"w and 1.4"w, and there is no need to change spacers when swopping between them. the 1.4" caster's hub is dished to equal the measurement of the 1". this may have changed with the advent of the tapered spacers/billet performance casters.

I email frog legs and they said they will have 3" and 5" versions coming out in about 4 weeks.