Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you call yourself disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    I would be stupid not to. Deaf people are fucking deaf. They don't hear in different ways.
    food for thought: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_model_of_disability

I really couldn't care less what label is used to define my limitations because I know that whatever someone calls me, my friends call me "Eileen" and do not think much beyond that identifier.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    What happened to the hole ALTERNATIVELY ABLE. Hey just trying to be politically correct.
    What happened to that is that most people now (hopefully) realize that quibbling about semantics does nothing to change reality. It may very well be tue that most people with disabilities develop one skill or another that most non-disabled people lack, in order to compensate for some other skill they don't (or no longer) have. But in the end, the best-case scenario still is that this special skill will enable them to do the same things non-disabled people can do. Plus, they wouldn't have needed to develop said special skill if they'd not been disabled in the first place.

People who can see generally don't read Braille. But blind people who acquire the skill of reading Braille do so with the sole purpose of being able to read, just like those of us who can see (albeit not in the same way). The skill they're ultimately after is reading, not deciphering Braille.

So those 'different' abilities aren't really all that different: they ultimately serve the same goals that the non-disabled strive for. Reading in this example, mobility in the case of wheelchair skills, communication in the case of sign language or lip reading.

The catch is in the fact that very few sane individuals will choose to do something the 'alternative' way, so long as they have the ability to do the same thing the regular way. That's because the alternatives are generally far more inconvenient. A skilled Braille reader can't read as fast as a skilled regular reader. A skilled signer still can't easily communicate with the hearing majority. A skilled wheelchair user still faces accessibility challenges other people never encounter.

In the end, the disabled are still disabled. All they can do is try to compensate for that as best as they can, and then it helps not to proceed from the assumption that some things are simply beyond their reach. I read a story somewhere years ago, about a guy who could literally do nothing but lie in his hospital bed, hooked up to a ventilator and a feeding tube, and blink once for yes and twice for no. He managed to write a book about it.

Which is to say: yes, there *is* such a thing as disability, and if you lack some skill that can be mastered by any healthy three-year-old, then you're disabled, no matter what you tell yourself. But having a disability doesn't have to stop you from being whoever you want to be.
    Last edited by Saranoya; 10-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.

I'm a "wheelchair user". That's what I tell people on the phone when I have to inquire about access and things etc

Quote Originally Posted by brython2 View Post
    I'm a "wheelchair user". That's what I tell people on the phone when I have to inquire about access and things etc
    I was a "wheelchair user" before becoming disabled. I worked at a grocery store and when no one was checking out, I'd get in the stores wheelchair and "use" it to amuse myself by popping wheelies. (No, that's not how I got injured)
    Unfortunately, the closest I get to a wheelie now is when my powerchair nearly tilts over when I get in and out.

Isn't it great that paralysis goes from the injury level down and not vise versa... we'd be zombie-like creatures walking around slumped over at the waist, back or neck.

"I use a chair" works for me. Most peeps realize I'm talking about a wheelchair.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

when my body(cerebral palsy,hoh,oral,low vision) stops me something yes i am disabled and want a ''normal'' pill

when im just living my life I'M NOT DISABLED

I prefer 'injured'. I've done too many independent things to consider myself disabled, I may do them slower, but there's not much I can't do.

Blog Entries
    I can't walk, so I consider myself crippled.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I can't walk, so I consider myself crippled.
    Lol, you took the words out of my mouth.