Thread: okra and bowel movements

okra and bowel movements

ok, so everytime i eat okra it just cleans my system out bigtime. has anyone noticed they get a colon cleanse when they eat okra too? pickeled okra and beer=diahrea. fried okra with dinner gave me the best bowel movement i have had in years. lol
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

Hi "joshstevens7,"
    Okra is not a vegetables on my radar screen, so I don't have any experience with its laxative properties. But, I would assume it is high in soluble fiber and maybe that mucilage (slippery, slimy) quality, which I personally don't find appealing, plays a part in the reaction you have experienced. If you enjoy okra and you find it beneficial...go for it.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hi "joshstevens7,"
    Okra is not a vegetables on my radar screen, so I don't have any experience with its laxative properties. But, I would assume it is high in soluble fiber and maybe that mucilage (slippery, slimy) quality, which I personally don't find appealing, plays a part in the reaction you have experienced. If you enjoy okra and you find it beneficial...go for it.

All the best,
    GJ
    Okra, cooked properly, isn't slimy. In fact, it's delicious! Fried Okra is very very good! It tastes great with Ranch Dressing like Fried Zucchini Sticks. The tricky part is cooking that way.
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    Okra, cooked properly, isn't slimy. In fact, it's delicious! Fried Okra is very very good! It tastes great with Ranch Dressing like Fried Zucchini Sticks. The tricky part is cooking that way.
    Lots of foods cooked "the right way" taste great, but they aren't good for you, i.e., fried zucchini isn't good for you food...french fries aren't good for you food, fried okra isn't good for you food, fried snicker's bars aren't good for you food, fried butter isn't good for you food, fried twinkies aren't good for you food, but they all taste good.

All the best,
    GJ

It is worth the try for me think tomorrow I will get some. Seems like my bowels are never on the right schedule no matter what I try.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

Hi yes I like okra , spinach and lettuce healthy greens like that are fabulous for the digestive tract any nicely cooked

I stay away from Fried , breaded foods is like unsafe to me I might as well eat a can of lard for that matter

In my culture we eat very simple boiled , veggies generally for instance these go good over a little bit of nice rice as a side dish or I prefer my veggies just boiled with a tinge of salt .
    prepared greens is good in my books

Maybe SCI-Nurse will chime in and share better knowledge

In the meantime Best of luck
    Sincerely ;
    GL
    Last edited by GL; 10-03-2011 at 05:36 AM.

found this site that tells bout the benefits....

http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles0...h-benefits.htm
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03