Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HYPE-Tech Bike

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Meeker - Everyone needs a sense of humor.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

It's Worth it!

I had a neat experience today. I heard from a patient who I had lost touch with for over three years. She informed me she was engaged. She had found out about our clinic through another patient and I couldn't believe how excited she was. I had worked with her in various care homes, before starting my clinic. She couldn't believe that we had the Orion Bike from Electrologic along with other special equipment used in our "Immersion Program". Being on Medicare has made it a nightmare to find therapeutic help. She will get the necessary therapy in our program! My point is, keep up the work Meeker because people are listening and people are serious about trying to change or positively affect lives!

God Bless

Arnie Fonseca, Jr.
    Neuro Institute

Check you facts

Dr. McDonald also say's he is applying for federal grants "and for grants from the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation to pay for research project, which he said will cost about $750,000. a YEAR." (One Step pp.2)

How many years? No wonder he is helping the Reeve Foundation raise so much money.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please get your facts right. The CRPFScientific grants are public knowledge. John McDonald has NEVER been a grant recepient nor does he participate in fundraising for the Foundation. If He was expecting a "payout " from CRPF, don't you believe that he would have received a grant during the 3 years the CR participated in the clinical trial?

Read the CRFR website, they clearly state that they did not fund the research or pay for Chris' treatment. The same info is on Wash U's site. It is easy to twist words and make allegations and that does no one any good.

As for the 400,000 per year that CR spends for medical care....that is for ALL of his care and not the rehabilitation therapy only. Skilled private duty nursing 24/7 is the majority of the costs I would imagine...not PT.

Rather than make this an issue of McDonald's bike vs "the others" why don't we embrace the fact that there is now clinical documentation to demonstrate that ongoing aggressive rehab has POSITIVE impact on the health and well being of those with SCI. It will now be harder for the insurance companies to deny treatment of individuals who are seeking care. The type of bike has much less significance than the type of rehabilitation.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

Clarity Please!

This should be simple to clear up. Steve Petrofsky of Electrologic, who has spent over 20 years of research time in this area, was kind enough to post to the forum the history of "All" the FES bikes. I totally agree with the philosophy of Dr. McDonald. We have been doing it in Phoenix for the past 7 years with great outcomes. The problem that many have is the fact that he is degrading obviously better technology than he is trying to sell for a "profit"? So is he in the equipment sales business or the Neuro-Rehab business. Maybe the good DR will post again to clear this up!

God Bless

Arnie Fonseca Jr.
    Neuro Institute

Evidence

I have not seen any degrading statements by Dr. McDonald about the FES bikes. Please "share". If you are considering the statements about cost to be degrading, well I argue that it is true. The costs as well as insurance reimbursement or lack of are a major factor for most individuals with SCI.

Also, most HMO's as well as private insurances "cap" rehab to 30 days per year per new injury. I have BC/BS and amount of progress doesn't matter. If I want more, I pay out of pocket. This stands true for at least 60% of those with SCI.

The Medicaid, Medicare changes of 1997 as they pertain to PT/OT/ Speech/ and home care have overflowed to private pay insurance. Bottom line, if you want more rehab you have to pay out of pocket.

Out of curiosity, how many people per year do you get coverd for services and at what percentage of coverage? I would love to have your success

Meeker are you having a hard time excepting the fact that all who disagreed with omentum therapy as the next coming have helped you see beyond the one or two positive results and made you look and see the other hundreds if not thousands of results that show no difference than just untethering/decompression surgery. DR Kao and the shark esc therapy have their one or two great success stories like omentum does but also have their hundreds if not thousands who found no positive results. meaker their are even a few success stories from people who had no therapies or surges who now walk. KEEP LOOKING BEYOND THE 1 OR 2 AND SEE THE HUNDREDS OF OTHERS meeker.

Best of luck to you meeker

LIVE IT UP AND LIVE IT LARGE!!!!

why do you have to spend all thay money on a bike when you can go to sears and get a bike for uder a $100 that you can use your arms to help pedal? I know that not all the people can use their arms or even hold their feet on the pedals. You screw shoes to the pedals so your feet don't come off. Then you get family friends to help with balance and pedaling. I think you would be surpise at how much you can pedal on your own. This is what we did with my son. In the beginning he could only go 3/4 away around without any help then as he got better with balance we didn't have hold up top. Then he stated to you his arms to help pedal. Now he can ride for 3to 4 miles and only use his arms when he is stuck or is getting weak near the end. I don't think that we have to spend thounsands of dollars to do exerise at home. Just look around your house for things to use. I build him a total gym for under $50.

Yes Foster

Great Idea if one is incomplete and one still has function in their legs. If not, the only way you are going to get meaningful excercise to the legs is via a FES bike.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Honesty

Just looking for some clarity on the following statement:

'Rummerfield, who incorporated exercise into his recovery but did not use an FES bicycle, said McDonald's work "is light years ahead of anything that's ever been produced."

Steve Petrofsky of Electrologic has very carefully explained the history of the development of the FES bikes. I am just curious as how one can be light years ahead when they are using older versions of Petrofsky bikes. Inquiring minds want to know!

God Bless

Arnie Fonseca, Jr
    Neuro Institute

?? Arnie

Supply a link or full text of an article, if possible. You appear to be taking words and phrases out of nowhere and it is difficult to know what the meaning really is. Is this article available on the Internet? If so, please post a hyperlink. I would love to read the article in its entirity.