Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: low dose naltrexone?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    But I did not know there was any prohibition against narcotics with it. I'm sure I must have had some narcotics when I got injured again in 2009. But maybe I didn't have my other pills with me at the hospital.

What are some common narcotics?
    FULL DOSE Naltrexone (50mg/day or more) is approved by the FDA in the treatment of narcotic addition. It apparently blocked some of the same nerve connections as morphine or heroin.

Low Dose Naltrexone (4.5mg/day or less) seems to have a positive effect on some people with some variations of MS. Its unlikely that 4.mg would block the effectiveness of pain meds.

Scientists don't really understand why LDN works with MS...the theory is that it triggers the brain to produce endorphins.

The 4.5mg max came about from that study in California. The findings were worded to the effect that doses higher than that did not seem to increase the positive effects,

Personally, since I'm a pretty big boy, I take 4.5mg twice a day now. Its been about a month since I increases the dosage. I can report slight improvement in spasticity, but the improvement does not last more than an hour or two.

LDN or Low Dose Naltrexone is shown to work in most autoimune diseases. Check out http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/ to get the real story.

Honestly, folks, I don't know how to react to the web site in the last post. It claims that LDN cures everything from HIV, cancer, MS, to bad breath.

Its one of those "...we need to band together and get the FDA to approve this drug..." kind of sites. Chock full of ourageous claims and personal testamonies from people that have seen the light and been cured.

Me...it seems to help a little. There are no adverse side effects I can report.

I'll stick with it another 3-6 months, and see what happens.

Clinical studies has proven...

Clinical studies has proven that Low Dose Naltrexone is helpful for Crohn's disease. I agree that more testing should be done. The common condition (or word) is auto immune diseases. They started using it in MS patients in the early 1980's with success. You can go to or see on youtube the conference for LDN.

There was also a study done in California that showed improvement in walking for SPMS. But, there have not been others done, the study group was fairly small (<100?) and they were all from the same area.

IMO, MS is NOT a single disease...it has variations...some of those variations may be related to locality.

Like I said, I'm seeing a slight improvement...I'm going to keep on it for awhile. But, I'm not expecting a cure...