Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Suspension chairs

You have to take linkage geometry into account as well. 2" of shock travel can net more seat/whatever travel depending on setup.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    You have to take linkage geometry into account as well. 2" of shock travel can net more seat/whatever travel depending on setup.

Very true! Depending on where the shock is mounted to the seat pan, the rear edge of the pan will move down more than the amount of compression at the piston. A shock mounted furthest from the rear would allow the most travel at the rear, and vice versa. I think this levering action is a drawback of suspension, personally. I think I would prefer a shock mounted in the center only that would compress the seat pan evenly front to rear. How to go about engineering something like that is way beyond me, though. May not even be feasible, but I sure think it would be an improvement.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Yes, i know that, so second number is the travel of the shock?

Quote Originally Posted by juggular View Post
    sorry second one isn't the diameter. Found this on the web "The stroke is written after the eye to eye, for example as 9.0" x 2.0" for a nine inch shock with a two inch stroke."
    Yes, jug verified it, totol1.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Yes, jug verified it, totol1.
    ok i didn`t know what was stroke, i found it in the dictionary but ...

Very true! Depending on where the shock is mounted to the seat pan, the rear edge of the pan will move down more than the amount of compression at the piston. A shock mounted furthest from the rear would allow the most travel at the rear, and vice versa. I think this levering action is a drawback of suspension, personally. I think I would prefer a shock mounted in the center only that would compress the seat pan evenly front to rear. How to go about engineering something like that is way beyond me, though. May not even be feasible, but I sure think it would be an improvement.
    Icon have the suspension like you want i think

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Icon have the suspension like you want i think

It sure does look like it, but there is linkage to the front of the seat pan up under there.

It sure does look like it, but there is linkage to the front of the seat pan up under there.
    So you would like something like a floating independent suspension seat, but remember that almost all of us have dump, so we have more weight in rear seat than in front seat, so it will be a difficult and expensive work for just a wheelchair user, don`t you think?

A wheelchair user just need a good enough light chair to pick in-out the car easy, and if it have suspension we don`t need much travel, just a bit to absorb little curbs, because 99% of us only go down little curbs of sidewalks, strengely curbs more than 7", only down stairs and jumps for videos, but that is not our really use.
    So for the other 1% , probably much less, that like to go to skate parks, the market are not going to do much.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    A wheelchair user just need a good enough light chair to pick in-out the car easy, and if it have suspension we don`t need much travel, just a bit to absorb little curbs, because 99% of us only go down little curbs of sidewalks, strengely curbs more than 7", only down stairs and jumps for videos, but that is not our really use.
    So for the other 1% , probably much less, that like to go to skate parks, the market are not going to do much.
    Toto, you would be amazed at the additional control you have going down rough hills (like during hunting, etc.) with suspension. I'm afraid you're missing a bit of the market, amigo...

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    as an experiment, roll around in a chair with a shock with little/no charge. the amount of times the shock is activated/working is surprising. It's unbelieveable how much they actually work when you wouldn't think it would make any difference at all. It blew my mind, I bought the Icon more for the adjustability, but I imagine the shock will ensure many more active years.