Thread: I "cuss like a fish wife"

Blog Entries

I "cuss like a fish wife"

Dragon and I are having a hate relationship right now (no, not an ounce of love--it crashes Word several times a day) and my caregiver had this to say about my reaction.

Anyone else have this problem?

WTF is a fish wife?

Unfortunately, cussing will just confuse Dragon more. But taking a second to calmly put it to sleep before you unleash a string of invectives kind of misses the point of swearing, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    WTF is a fish wife?

A fishwife or fish fag[1] is a woman who sells fish.[2] In this context, the word wife means woman rather than married woman.[3] This usage stems from Old English wif (woman) and is akin to the German weib, also meaning "woman". This sense of the word is still used in Modern English in constructions such as midwife and old wives' tale.
    Fish women were notoriously loud and foul-mouthed as in the expression, To swear like a fishwife. One reason for their outspokenness is that their wares were highly perishable and so lost value if not sold quickly.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishwife

Fuckin' A. If you don't cuss in this shitstorm economy, the clusterfuck wins!

Betheny, such a potty mouth I love it..lol..... As for dragon giving you frustrations I think all of us who've used a speaking program have been in that situation at one time or another and a few well placed fuck, piece of shit and god damn-it's are good for peace of mind. As for solving the problem as to why it keeps crashing word that might be a tricky one to solve. According to this website http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-a27dd4b2e48c you're not the only one with this problem but they didn't have any solutions either.

I personally have started using the windows speech recognition program that came with my computer by Microsoft has worked surprisingly well with most applications I have attempted to use it with so you might give it a try if it's on your computer.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Blog Entries
    Randy, because you have Win 7 Pro, you do have the native MS speech recognition application. All you have to do is search for speech, and it will show up in the search results.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

cuss like a fishwife?...you should "swear like a navvy".

cussing like a fishwife assumes your swearing capabilities are a bit shit.

Fuck that!
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    A fishwife or fish fag[1] is a woman who sells fish.[2] In this context, the word wife means woman rather than married woman.[3] This usage stems from Old English wif (woman) and is akin to the German weib, also meaning "woman". This sense of the word is still used in Modern English in constructions such as midwife and old wives' tale.
    Fish women were notoriously loud and foul-mouthed as in the expression, To swear like a fishwife. One reason for their outspokenness is that their wares were highly perishable and so lost value if not sold quickly.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishwife
    Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Dragon and I are having a hate relationship right now (no, not an ounce of love--it crashes Word several times a day) and my caregiver had this to say about my reaction.

Anyone else have this problem?
    I try to keep my language clean around my caregivers, but I'd be right pissed off if they made any kind of comment about my choice of words, assuming I wasn't swearing AT one of them, which would indeed be their business. Taking a little frustration out on Dragon does not qualify as the latter.

The one time time a caregiver saw fit to mention that she disliked the word "fuck" while I was watching something on tv during evening care, I went out of my way to watch Deadwood every time she was working.