Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten to Display your Parking Placard?

Also moved on from the placard and got plates. One ticket for being outside the lines and into the striped blue zone when I was getting out the other side and needed the room. Probably could have contested it since there was no spot on the other side of the blue stripes, but I was busy and richer in those days.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I have a license plate and placard...i rarely use the placard..however, I think I got keyed as someone didnt see my plate and figured I WAS illegally parked. sigh.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Okay this situation actually did happen to us. About eight months after my injury, my husband and I went to our local farmers market. We forgot to put placard up in the van and when we came back we had a ticket. My husband took a picture of me sitting in my power chair next to the rolled out van ramp. He then wrote a cute letter saying "we are still quite new at this. We are so sorry we forgot to put our placard out. Thanks for the reminder". We then mailed the picture and letter to the police department with a copy of the ticket. 1 week later, we received the cancelled ticket back in the mail. It's nice to know there are caring officials in the world.
    C5/6 complete 10/27/2009 MVA

"I'm going to try defying gravity." Elphaba in "Wicked"

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    if I didn't have plates or a placard, I'd be just like every other car parked in the handicap spots.
    I was told I could get a ticket for parking in the stripe zone by an officer one time, I responded that not every person in a wheelchair is a passenger so go ahead and we'll take it to court.
    Around here most spots are on a slope for drainage and most city lots have signs saying, "Head In Parking Only". I've been told not to back in a spot and had to ask wether they prefer I back in so my chair will rest against my door, or should I pull in and call the police to fetch my chair when it rolls away? The parking attendent had a blank look and just got in car and drove away.
    I still think there is a need for different classifications for handicap parking. There should be seperate spaces for those who have problems walking(they don't need all the extra space), Wheelchair only parking, and ramp van parking. But, hell, many places can't even adhere to the rules in place now.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I still think there is a need for different classifications for handicap parking. There should be seperate spaces for those who have problems walking(they don't need all the extra space), Wheelchair only parking, and ramp van parking. But, hell, many places can't even adhere to the rules in place now.
    I realize that it's frustrating to be limited to the spaces you can use because of ramp consideration. However, it would be hard for a person who uses crutches to have to park in the regular spots and struggle into the building if there are only empty van spots available. It's hard enough just to find an empty disabled parking space...any kind of space. I guess we all just have to be as considerate as circumstances allow and know that it won't be perfect all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    I realize that it's frustrating to be limited to the spaces you can use because of ramp consideration. However, it would be hard for a person who uses crutches to have to park in the regular spots and struggle into the building if there are only empty van spots available. It's hard enough just to find an empty disabled parking space...any kind of space. I guess we all just have to be as considerate as circumstances allow and know that it won't be perfect all the time.
    I know what you mean, I hate it when I use a van space handicapped spot. It feels like I'm taking the space that some one else would really need. Then again, it seems that most of the time the hashmarked space beside the van parking spot meant to be left open so a lift can be used, is almost always used up by motorcyclists or stores keeping carts and stuff there. At my local Trader Joe's they actually put their store mobility scooters in that space.

So the scooters are for people who might need them in the store but if some one arrived with their own scooter (or chair) with a lift, they couldn't get out of the car. The manager is hopeless.

I leave the placard up all the time. You're not technically supposed to, but the van windows are H-U-G-E and it doesn't obstruct my vision in the slightest.

We have it on the dash, but I have got enough ticket because it has been snow on my window and they did not care to take the snow away...

But I never paid them, but had to go to the office and show the placard and one time they gave me a ticket outside that office because I was inside with the placard. Unbelievable
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I still think there is a need for different classifications for handicap parking. There should be separate spaces for those who have problems walking(they don't need all the extra space), Wheelchair only parking, and ramp van parking. But, hell, many places can't even adhere to the rules in place now.
    In Oregon there are two type of spaces. Parked in the van access space, and when we returned to truck we had a two page letter about how we did not have a van accessible sticker. At least it was not a ticket, needless to say, went to DMV and got the right one.
    Last edited by flying; 09-28-2011 at 08:40 PM.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    "brucec" and "Eileen,"

Have you ever been ticketed because the policeman or meter maid didn't look for your license plates, they focused on looking for a placard?

All the best,
    GJ
    No, because even if they had originally been dumb enough to not check for a plate they have to walk to the back of the van and write the license plate down on a potential ticket. At that point they see the little wheelie guy that is on every Ma. disabled plate.