Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten to Display your Parking Placard?

Forgotten to Display your Parking Placard?

It can happen, it does happen, and likely it has happened to you.

If you have a handicapped parking placard that you must display on the stem of your rear view mirror when you are parked in a handicapped parking space, have you ever forgotten to put it up before getting out of your car or van? Have there been consequences, tickets, parking warnings, notes from passersby left on your windshield. Or have you displayed the placard somewhere other than the rear view mirror and had any trouble over that?

What story do you have to tell?

All the best,
    GJ

I almost panic about this everytime I park in a HC spot. It's a $250 fine here and man I'd hate to spend all that money on nothing. Actually when I'm driving on my own, I put the placard between my legs so I can't get out of the car without noticing it. When driving with my GF she and I both remind each other about putting it up.

We did have dinner once and got back to the car realizing we hadn't put it up but it was only a metered spot so the fine would have been lower and as it turned out, we didn't get ticketed anyway.

I have wondered if I would get a ticket if I left the placard on the dashboard and didn't hang it up, hopefully I won't find out. My real frustration is AB's using other people's placards. That drives me nuts. It happens a lot where I live. My GF would never use my placard unless I was in the car, never.

If I ever have my own car I guess I could get disabled plates and maybe that means you don't have to use the placard, I don't know. It would be nice to have one less thing to worry about. Have you had any trouble?

The few times I have forgotten it completly I've gotten away with it. It's a bigger pita when I realise after I've completed my transfer that it's not up, so back into the car to get it.

Off on a tanget, does anybody else have problems with the placards breaking? I've never gotten to expirey date without the stupid thing breaking at the hook part. Am I just a clutz or are BC placards just really cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The few times I have forgotten it completly I've gotten away with it. It's a bigger pita when I realise after I've completed my transfer that it's not up, so back into the car to get it.

Off on a tanget, does anybody else have problems with the placards breaking? I've never gotten to expirey date without the stupid thing breaking at the hook part. Am I just a clutz or are BC placards just really cheap.
    I've never had one break and they've been bent, wiggled and left in the hot car. I'm in California, maybe they make'm tougher here for some reason. Would such having to tape one together, jeez it would keep falling apart. Good luck.

I just use it by putting it on the dash after the handle part breaks..

$40 parking ticket while in Toronto yesterday. Luckily there was a bike patrol officer riding by who stopped and cancelled it for me. Second time as well, but the first time I remembered to display my parking permit (didn't yesterday).

Still, I was parallel parked on a street (regular, not disabled with cars in front of me and behind me, so I don't understand why I got ticketed .. but the permit allows you to practically park anywhere in Toronto.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

on christmas eve, I hit the mall, the only time I ever go to a mall. It is not legal in pa to have anything hanging from your mirror while driving, so my plakard stays on the dash. I got a huge ticket. the police man still giving out tickets, saw me exit the mall and get into my vehicle. I was in a wheelchair. I wondered why he was staring at me?

I didnt see the ticket at first. It was placed right over my visible plackard. I got out, and rolled over to the police man with my ticket and plakard, and said, Im sorry, but you made a mistake, I was legally parked. my valid plackard was on the dash right where you placed the ticket. He stated that it was not displayed properly. I didnt have to pay it, but It took several phone calls and a trip to the police station to get it resolved.

another time I was reported by someone, and as I was getting in my car, (same mall, still using a wheelchair) a police car drove up and I had to show him my I.D, and valid plakard. I have never been allowed the train or bus discount for handicapped people. even though I use leg braces and trek styx to get around, and have presented my medicare card to purchase my tickets. apparently you have to be a senior, or wheelie. bogus.

I have handicap license plates, never has a placard
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I also have never had a placard. Sometimes it is annoying as hell when a parking lot attendant says "I don't see a placard." I force myself to smile and tell him/her to look at my license plate. I do not add the last word I would so like to use in that sentence, which would be "stupid."

"brucec" and "Eileen,"

Have you ever been ticketed because the policeman or meter maid didn't look for your license plates, they focused on looking for a placard?

All the best,
    GJ