Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: n-router vs b/g computer

  1. #1

    n-router vs b/g computer

    this may sound like a lame brain question but i just don't personally know the answer.

    if i buy a linksys n-router will it work with my computers that are b/g capable? or will i have to upgrade my comps?

    thanks, rollin.

  2. #2
    It should still work with your computer, but you're not going to get to take advantage of the speed new router gives you unless you get a n-card in your computer. The only reason I would do it for myself is if I'm transferring a lot of files a lot of times between my laptop and something else connected to the router. I don't think the Internet is fast enough to take advantage of the speed yet, but then again I could be wrong
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

    Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Formerly The People's Republic of Palo Alto, Now The Urban Wasteland - Orange, CA
    Posts
    124
    Rollin: N is backwards compatible with B and G cards. Older B cards may have trouble with the newest N routers, but B cards haven't been made since at least 2003 or so. It would need to be seriously dated equipment to still be running on an 802.11b chipset...

    Also, back in the 802.11b days, and the early 802.11g devices - some were built to a draft standard, not the actual 802.11b/g standard that was adopted by IEEE. As such, some devices built to the draft standard may not function properly with the current generation 802.11n routers...

    It's nuanced really. Short answer is yes, in theory it should be compatible. In practice, however, there might be issues depending on the date of manufacture, the manufacturer itself, and what standard they were designed with.

  4. #4
    i have a desktop with win xp pro, b/g. i also have a wireless laptop running vista with b/g.

    i'm thinking of updating both to newer models. but...i wanted to update my router first, since that's cheapest to start off with. i understand ya ryan about not getting the upgraded speed. it will probly run me off the b/g instead of upgrading me to n but as long as it works for now.

  5. #5
    and you can get a small usb n transmitter for about 20 bucks......give you the 300 mb n advantage versus the 100........

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    and you can get a small usb n transmitter for about 20 bucks......give you the 300 mb n advantage versus the 100........
    thanks, i'll look into that.

  7. #7
    one thing you have to know about wireless-n routers is that you get a big boost in speed, b/g is 54 Mb and N is 150/300 Mb. But if you have mixed wireless router will drop down its speed to 54 Mb, so it would be best to have wireless-n cards when you run a wireless-n router
    C4 incomplete since 1985

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by crppled007 View Post
    one thing you have to know about wireless-n routers is that you get a big boost in speed, b/g is 54 Mb and N is 150/300 Mb. But if you have mixed wireless router will drop down its speed to 54 Mb, so it would be best to have wireless-n cards when you run a wireless-n router

    thanks. would it be difficult to change the card in a compaq laptop?

    i'm not worried about the desktop right now cause it's old and will probly just get a new one. i think i'll hang on to the compaq since it's not very old, just has the b/g card in it. if it's not too difficult i'd rather just change the card in it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member jschism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    thanks. would it be difficult to change the card in a compaq laptop?

    i'm not worried about the desktop right now cause it's old and will probly just get a new one. i think i'll hang on to the compaq since it's not very old, just has the b/g card in it. if it's not too difficult i'd rather just change the card in it.
    as old as the computer is, why bother changing it? the computer is probably slow itself, has nothing to do with the internet speed. I would think you have your desktop computer on LAN from router, so no need to change that(unless you have more than one desktop you want to run on router)?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    as old as the computer is, why bother changing it? the computer is probably slow itself, has nothing to do with the internet speed. I would think you have your desktop computer on LAN from router, so no need to change that(unless you have more than one desktop you want to run on router)?
    no, the laptop is pretty new. thats the card i needa change. it has pretty good speed now.

Similar Threads

  1. Router?
    By gurly2356 in forum Computers
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 10:35 AM
  2. Router behind Router?
    By Steven Edwards in forum Computers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 11:15 PM
  3. USB Router
    By mike in forum Computers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 11:23 PM
  4. I need/want a new router.
    By garvey in forum Computers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM
  5. Wireless Router through a standard router?
    By Steven Edwards in forum Computers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •