Thread: Hospital Infections

Hospital Infections

Eye opening booklet. It says 100,000 of us are dying a year in the US because of hospital induced infections. Claims this is more than AIDS, breast cancer, and auto accidents combined. Says several countries have shown this is entirely preventable and outlines how to do it.

www.hospitalinfection.org/ridbooklet.pdf

Can the medical professionals comment?
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

About 15-20 years ago doctors in LA went on strike. They would only do emergency surgery. The death rate in the hospitals dropped by 75% during that time.

i got two pressure sores, MRSA, bone infection and about 5 UTI's after a 3 month stay. the rehab centre was shabby and dirty, nurses over worked. BTW some people are just plain dirty nobody flushes a W.C. nor closes the curtains when having a shit on the commode. urine bottles were emptied into the wash hand basins.
    last straw was when i went to wash my teeth just to find the sink full of human excrement. only one very young inexperienced junior doctor catering for 50 patients who could not even give an injection without making your whole arm blue. no wheelchair showers were available they clean/wash you up in bed, without changing gloves from patient to patient.each time i complained they would say that i'm depressed due to SCI. no this is not Afganistan but the shit island of Malta

i hate our health system still have nightmares about the place one year on.

I was in one of the better Knoxville hospitals for my last surgery....in a month and back in three days to the ER.....emergency surgery due to infection.....ten days later did'nt get to go home...another emergency surgery for the same thing...finally after an additional month in the hospital, I was taken to the Infectious Diesease clinic to be hooked up to an IV for antibiotics, to be given everyday for the next 8 weeks. One hundred miles every day.......because I got a Staph Infection! Almost two years later, and I still have to take an oral antibiotic to keep it under control. This stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    I was in one of the better Knoxville hospitals for my last surgery....in a month and back in three days to the ER.....emergency surgery due to infection.....ten days later did'nt get to go home...another emergency surgery for the same thing...finally after an additional month in the hospital, I was taken to the Infectious Diesease clinic to be hooked up to an IV for antibiotics, to be given everyday for the next 8 weeks. One hundred miles every day.......because I got a Staph Infection! Almost two years later, and I still have to take an oral antibiotic to keep it under control. This stinks!
    Staph Infection! Are you referring to MRSA

My neighbor dislocated her hip (not broke, dislocated), spent one night in the hospital, and came home with a MRSA infection. She has bounced between hospital and nursing home since. She is in her eighties, and I am sure it will kill her.

The tragedy is that these infections are apparently almost totally preventable. The report says several countries have done it. Finland, Denmark, Australia are what I recall being mentioned.

The website for the lady who did the pamphlet and seems to be leading the crusade about this is http://www.hospitalinfection.org/ Depending on where you live , you might be able to find the infection rates for your favorite hospital.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I got MRSA in 2003 after spinal surgery at Hospital for Special Surgery, NY. I almost died. It has returned several times in that same surgical site, the sacral area, and caused sepsis. It has prevented the healing of a sacral pressure sore, and I have required two flaps. After the first flap last year, it took 8 months to heal despite heavy duty antibiotics. The Infectious Disease doctor believes it is in my bone and my hardware; there is no cure, they can only hope to keep it "quiet" for as long as possible. An abcess formed only three months after my first flap healed and I was septic again. I can only hope that the MRSA (and VRE which I acquired at a local hospital)will keep "quiet"longer after this second flap.

This thread hit home for me, At hos i acquired MRSA and a pressure sore, and multiple UTI's. over a year has passed and none have gone away, spent hundreds on expensive swabs and treatment oils and a private nurse who comes twice a week to change dressings. relieve the pressure she says lie on your belly all day, how am i to go to work and pay for your services and treatment may i ask.
    Sore got infected with MSRA and developed a fistula hence now ostamaylatis has set into the bone from the pressure sore. went for a bone scan and for a month i ve been taking a cocktail of antbio, my whole body has developed a rash due to antibiotic allergy. i've just given up, each time i see a doctor he orders something new or finds something new. i now have to take addional pills to combat the effect of the last pills i was given. In addition to spending hours on end in hospital waiting lines.