Thread: HO -- longest surviving?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HO -- longest surviving?

My hips have been completely fused for 45 years 6 months by heterotrophic ossification. My knees look like a couple of small watermelons, but they still bend 90 degrees. Thank goodness.

Anyone have it for a longer period of time? I have this feeling that I am the last one rolling of my era.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    You sure did very well with such a major problem. For the past 9 years only my left hip has been affected and it bends to 45 degrees and stops. At least I can sit OK. I can only imagine the dificulties you must have faced every day.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks for the response. We all have our issues, and I never saw mine as more than another. As a West Virginia native, it looks like to me you have faced your share as a C5 in the woods and my hat is off to you.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.