Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any quads here with pet birds?

Are there any quads here with pet birds?

I am wanting a parakeet really bad, but I am not sure if it would be wise to purchase one as a c5 quad. Once the kids are gone I am wondering if I'll be able to handle it's care on my own. Is there any one here who has birds and if so is it hard to take care of them from a chair?

Is there anyone that could come in weekly to clean the cage or give it food and water every other day? There are the large sticks of food that can be hung in the cage also.
    I have a bird, but I am AB and my husband a quad.
    I'd love to see you get a parakeet Buffie. They can be cheerful and brighten the day.
    Last edited by LindaT; 09-27-2011 at 12:37 AM. Reason: typo

Parakeets are social birds. They need attention and someone around to keep them happy. To keep them properly, their water needs to be changed daily, they need food daily. The cage needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. They need toys or something to keep them occupied. If let out to exercise, they will need to be brought back into the cage. Their wings need to be kept short so as not to allow flight. It would be hard but, can be done. I am a para and, they keep me busy
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

I feed and change my bird's water daily, my suggestion was if someone was able to come in and help off days Buffie would not have to rely one only one person. I change the paper on the bottom of his cage about once a week.
    We are home most of the time and our cockatiel keeps us laughing at his antics.
    The avatar picture is right before a wing trim.
    Some people disagree with trimming, but we don't want him flying out the door or smacking into the patio window. His door is open all day long. He spends a lot of time on our shoulders.
    I think with a little help Buffie could have a parakeet.

I am a para and have a cockateil. You can't find an easier pet to take care of lol........I don't clip his wings and he flies around and comes to me when I call him. Like Linda said they are very entertaining and are good company.

i had parakeets and they were shy. also had a deranged cockatiel. it lives with a cousin with schizophrenia and is very happy with her. the parakeets werent really interactive but i liked the cockatiel. but yea the cage was work.

i'd like an african grey if i could. gl!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Thanks for all of the responses, but I've decided maybe birds aren't the best choice for me. When I read that you can't use any air fresheners, plug ins, perfumes or such cause it could mean death for them I figured I may not need one. I have 3 girls still at home and hairspray and perfumes are a must. I also read that they should not be near the kitchen for the same reasons. Loud cooking orders or fumes are toxic. So for those reasons alone i'd be scared to get one.

Hi Buffie, You are probably making the right choice about of the air fresheners and sprays if you use a lot of them.
    I shut the door when I clean the bathroom and roll my bird's cage in the other room when I dust and clean in the living room/kitchen area. I don't use
    It is one big room and he is in the middle of all of the action.
    Darn, I was hoping it would work out for you.

Me too Linda, I want one soooo bad. I still might try though. My girls will just have to adjust. Is it true that cooking odors are a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffie View Post
    Me too Linda, I want one soooo bad. I still might try though. My girls will just have to adjust. Is it true that cooking odors are a problem.
    if you use non stick teflon pots and pans, the toxins they put off can kill a bird QUICK!

please think long and hard about it before committing.....I dont know about parakeets but I do know that parrots are a whole lot of work and require MUCH attention and time.

unfortunately I had to give up my african grey that I had for 5 years because I have been in such poor health and on bed rest so much and in the hospital over the last year that I couldnt take care of her like she needed to be taken care of.......she started to get some really bad habits and started plucking her feathers a little

she is now with some friends of mine and is in bird paradise along with her friends which are an Amazon and a Giant McCaw....she is happy again.