Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going on a fruit smoothie and vegetable fast

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Sounds good sherocks
    If it's good with just water, that's a good sign. I've been drinking almond milk (UNSWEETENED) quite a bit the last few months. Regular almond milk is disgusting to me, but unsweetened is really good (a sort of creamy nutty flavor) - and just 35 cal per 8oz. serving and TWICE the calcium of regular and soy milk.

btw. stephen, you mentioning Trader Joes reminds me to get my butt over there, one just opened up down the street from me, yay!
    You're a calorie counter?

Not a strict calorie counter, but I watch it (yea yea, some might think I watch a bit too much). It's not hard for me to gain, and it goes straight to my face!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I have not tried their sweetener, nor have I tried the UM with water only, which would be intensely unpalatable, I think.
    funny you haven't even tried it with water...it is soo good. and my husband loves it too with just water..the way it was intended lol

I am still so full and it is 3:24pm--can;t imagine it with almond milk too!

I use almond milk only now..in my coffee too chick..love it.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    funny you haven't even tried it with water...it is soo good. and my husband loves it too with just water..the way it was intended lol

I am still so full and it is 3:24pm--can;t imagine it with almond milk too!

I use almond milk only now..in my coffee too chick..love it.
    If you're making it from the morning to the late afternoon on only one UM serving (with only water and half an apple or so), what do you estimate is your total daily calorie intake?

It's not uncommon for me to have 2 UM shakes (á la Stevie) a day plus dinner. Snacks vary but usually consist of some of the following homemade hummus and crackers, raw almonds, and 72% dark chocolate with espresso.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    If you're making it from the morning to the late afternoon on only one UM serving (with only water and half an apple or so), what do you estimate is your total daily calorie intake?

It's not uncommon for me to have 2 UM shakes (á la Stevie) a day plus dinner. Snacks vary but usually consist of some of the following homemade hummus and crackers, raw almonds, and 72% dark chocolate with espresso.
    I got hungry today at around 4 and just made chicken salad, minced small chicken breast mixed with may0 with lettuce. and 1 piece dried apricot. I ate my Ultimate meal at around 10am though to be fair..not early morning

I did have probably 1/2 cup blueberries with the 1/2 apple in the shake

I will probably have a snack later, I love hummus and cherrie tomatoes and to be honest I finished off 1 bag of lays potatoe chips over 4 days last week..lol! my weakness is salty food! thank God the bag is finished! so my calorie intake from that alone ugh!! I want to lose 5 more pounds but hold water due to my salt addiction!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

hey,

I have done this type of detox 3 years on the trot. The best juicer for this type of thing is a masticating juicer opposed to the centrifugal type.

If you are doing it for 3-5 days (don't slam me dietiticians out there) your system could benefit from a break from dairy. I produces a lot of mucous.

I love in particular beetroot and ginger juuice.

Best of luck!

oh yes i add spirilina and algae to my fruit juices. if you use pineapple it is very sweet any way and will mask the taste.

The only thing I have eaten from Tues. through Thurs. was fruit and vegetable juices and a little bit of chicken to get protein. Some of the juices turned out okay and some wasn't so good. I put a small amount of low fat milk in some and those were the ones that didn't turn out the best. I feel fine. No headaches, hunger or tiredness. I'm going to continue this tomorrow and Monday through Wednesday of next week. I am also definitely staying away from sweets, fast food and soft drinks. I have to learn to do without those completely.

I'm doing this for many reasons. One to feel better by getting the toxins out of my body. Two to hopefully eventually lose weight. But I've learned that I have to be careful not to be getting too much since it's in liquid form. Three to help me get more fiber in my diet from fruits and vegetables. But I heard on here that liquidifying the fruits and vegetables makes them not have as much fiber. That's disappointing because I thought that was a good way to be sure I had more fiber in my diet. Four, I wanted to do a complete clean out so I could start a bowel program. I believe I am completely cleaned out.

I'm actually going out to eat this evening with my mom. I hadn't planned on it, but she wants to. I'll be eating at a restaurant that I haven't ate it in months. I'll probably get the chicken strips or chicken salad. It's breaded chicken so it's not that healthy, but there isn't much else that I like that is healthy at this restaurant. I'll be eating something here with my friend on Sunday and then will go back to the fruit and vegetable juices on Monday through Thursday evening.
    Last edited by faith9778; 09-30-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    The only thing I have eaten from Tues. through Thurs. was fruit and vegetable juices and a little bit of chicken to get protein. Some of the juices turned out okay and some wasn't so good. I put a small amount of low fat milk in some and those were the ones that didn't turn out the best. I feel fine. No headaches, hunger or tiredness. I'm going to continue this tomorrow and Monday through Wednesday of next week. I am also definitely staying away from sweets, fast food and soft drinks. I have to learn to do without those completely.

I'm doing this for many reasons. One to feel better by getting the toxins out of my body. Two to hopefully eventually lose weight. But I've learned that I have to be careful not to be getting too much since it's in liquid form. Three to help me get more fiber in my diet from fruits and vegetables. But I heard on here that liquidifying the fruits and vegetables makes them not have as much fiber. That's disappointing because I thought that was a good way to be sure I had more fiber in my diet. Four, I wanted to do a complete clean out so I could start a bowel program. I believe I am completely cleaned out.

I'm actually going out to eat this evening with my mom. I hadn't planned on it, but she wants to. I'll be eating at a restaurant that I haven't ate it in months. I'll probably get the chicken strips or chicken salad. It's breaded chicken so it's not that healthy, but there isn't much else that I like that is healthy at this restaurant. I'll be eating something here with my friend on Sunday and then will go back to the fruit and vegetable juices on Monday through Thursday evening.
    faith,

if you are looking to detoxify your body, there are specific vegetables and fruits that are suggested for 'cleansing/flushing' different organs ie, liver, kidneys, colon etc. and also overall cleanses. Just a suggestion but you might want to do some reading and find out what specific vegetables and fruits would be ideal to use, to meet whatever goal you're trying to accomplish, rather then just arbitrarily mixing them, if you are really looking to detoxify, (which I guess can mean different things to different people).
    If you're just looking to add juices to your 'diet', then what you're doing is fine, but real detoxification as i understand it, is a lot more complicated.

Yep, what mary said...

But, in my opinion, the whole "detox" thing is just a trendy unnecessary fad or whatever you want to call it. Your body naturally adjusts and "cleanses" itself, with the proper foods/diet so you get essential nutrients, and by incorporating exercise into your daily routine. To me, detoxing is as (un)necessary as douching and colonics.

I'm not doing an actually detox at this moment since I'm new to this. I'm just eating healthier and am avoiding sweets, and soft drinks. I may look into at actually detox later on once I get use to juicing though.