Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going on a fruit smoothie and vegetable fast

Going on a fruit smoothie and vegetable fast

This goes along with the other thread. I bought a blender today and am going to try making fruit smoothies and vegetable juice this week. I am thinking about doing a 3-5 day fast with these things only. My game-plan is to have a fruit smoothie in the morning and some vegetable juice later in the day. From reading the other threads I’d need to add protein powder in the smoothies. Where can I buy some protein powder? Would I need to add some low-fat milk to get some calcium? I don’t think I’d be leaving anything out with this. I’d be getting fruits, vegetables, protein, and dairy. This will be so much healthy than the way I eat now. Seriously some days all I put into my body is junk. I have been reading up on this and I know that I may have some side effects while my body is detoxing from the junk I've been putting in it as well.

What are some pointers on making smoothies and juicing? Do I need to always add ice to make smoothies? My friend told me today that someone she knows puts a small amount of honey with her smoothies to give it a sweeter taste. Would that be okay to add to the smoothies in small amounts? Would I need to have the protein powder AND milk or just one of them? I won't be using yogurt or ice cream because I don't like any kind of yogurt and ice cream is fattening.

The fruits I will be trying are: apples, bananas, grapes, oranges, watermelon, pears, blueberries, peaches (they are in a can though). I can’t think of any other fruits that I like. I don’t care for other types of berries like black berries and strawberries. Let me know if anyone has any experience with some of these not working well in making smoothies. Also let me know of any of these wouldn't be a good combination. Later on if I like doing this would it be better if I buy some frozen fruits?

The vegetables that I know I like are: broccoli, spinach, carrots, celery, mushrooms and peppers. Will any of these not juice well? I eat green beans and corn from cans. I guess I need to start buying frozen vegetables if I want to start doing this regularly because I’ve heard they are healthier for you. What are some other vegetables that I could try juicing? There may be some that I like if that I just haven’t tried.
    Last edited by faith9778; 09-26-2011 at 12:57 AM.

I'm juicing as well started my 10 days this morning; cucumbers and zucchini juice well mushrooms do not juice. my blog link below my name has videos of me juicing.

Keep me updated on how it goes for you. I don't know what day I will start this but it'll be soon. I had forgotten about things like cucumbers, zucchini and squash. I heard squash doesn't do well though. I'm also not sure if I like squash. I've had it one way and didn't like it, but I had it another way and did like it.

I need advice on what setting I need to have my blender on when making fruit smoothies. I also read on the papers today that the blender isn't good for making fruit and vegetable juices so that is disappointing because I didn't want to have to also buy the juice extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I need advice on what setting I need to have my blender on when making fruit smoothies. I also read on the papers today that the blender isn't good for making fruit and vegetable juices so that is disappointing because I didn't want to have to also buy the juice extractor.
    faith, blenders don't juice, they emulsify. I have a very high powered emulsifier called the vitamix. Your blender may or may not be capable of blending vegetables, it depends on how it works and on the motor. If it is a typical blender, probably not. You can get a decent juicer for a reasonable price.

What does Kale juice taste like and what - if anything - do you use to sweeten it with if I may ask?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    What does Kale juice taste like and what - if anything - do you use to sweeten it with if I may ask?
    Alone? It's rough, lol, to say the least. I 'juice' aka emulsify it, all the time. I use kale, maybe a stalk of celery, 1 apple and throw in a handful of grapes. You wont even taste it. You would only use a handful of it.

You could probably even just sweeten it without the grapes if you like with say a carrot and an apple but you would need something because it's just very strong. I have never drank it straight, so i don't really have a word to describe but I have overdone it and sort of grassy..i guess. But as i say with the right combo, i love it.

I had some kind of peach smoothie to drink with our meal for the ladies meeting I went to this evening. I don't know what all was in it, but it was nasty. I was only able to drink one sip to try it. Hopefully I'll be able to make some that I like. I have all the fruit but I just can't decide where to start. But I plan on it in the morning. I just don't know which fruits will go well together and which ones should be avoided together. I also bought low fat milk and honey that I'll try in them. Are you supposed to put ice cubes in them?

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I had some kind of peach smoothie to drink with our meal for the ladies meeting I went to this evening. I don't know what all was in it, but it was nasty. I was only able to drink one sip to try it. Hopefully I'll be able to make some that I like. I have all the fruit but I just can't decide where to start. But I plan on it in the morning. I just don't know which fruits will go well together and which ones should be avoided together. I also bought low fat milk and honey that I'll try in them. Are you supposed to put ice cubes in them?
    yes, ice cubes are good with fruit smoothies. if you have any protein powder, throw that in as well. if not some yogurt, plain preferably. best to have some protein and not just fruit from smoothies, gives you something extra, if you have. look up recipes on the web.

My morning smoothie for the past 6 months consists of The Ultimate Meal in a base of vanilla rice milk blended with a banana, a handful each of frozen mango, pineapple, and blueberries available from Trader Joe's (only fruit, nothing else added). Nutritionally, I don't think you could ask for anything more.

The hair on my chest (and back) has never been more lush.