Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lower Motor Nueron Injury Frustration

In any term.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Ok.I meet far more and read about far more cervical injuries that have made substantial gains then Thoracic...especially lower ones.

Believe me, even in the worst case scenario you will have your hands and arms, and you will be independant. Sadly, most of the cervical injuries ends with almost useless upper body and dependence. Many even with a ventilator as best friend 24/7.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

See 2nd paragraph of 1st post

Im talking in terms of recovery too. There is no magic for high injuries.

Um sure

Only doctors in Brazil taking lower lumbar injury patients in their phase one trial not any other. Neural Stem will be taking lower injuries in their phase one trial once start in US after FDA approval. Hopefully in india too from them.

Not much data available yet from Brazil. Dont know why they are not telling.

I wish some one able to get updates from Brazil.

@Lyerly - I feel your frustration. Your injury sounds similar to mine in many ways. Even though I have many contractions below my level of injury - my gains are limited in terms of power and ultimately therefore practical use. There is a conflict. You are obliged to continue intense rehabilitation (which is not cheap) in the hope that you can recruit one or two more muscle fibres. I understand where you are coming from. The transition from ASIA C to ASIA D in a LMN lesion is a huuuuuge step.

Although it seems like the SCI Research is focused upon the plasticity, regeneration of axons in the CNS and remyelination there is also related work being performed in other disease groups. Keep an eye out on ALS and SMA research which should also bear fruit for LMN lesions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    I have worked out at Project Walk type facilities and Beyond Therapy at Shepherd and have made small gains with good strength in both hip flexors and glitches of firing in my tibs and quad(esp right)

I have been at it for a year and a half and have spent a good bit of $s I rarely ever meet any LMN people period and really none that I know of examples of people that have worked to gain stuff back. I feel like I am just doing what is available for SCI in general not knowing if it is even geared to help LMN.

Does anyone know people or of people that have made big improvement despite LMN???
    These programs are simply intensive locomotor therapies. The data starting to surface suggests that early and intensive therapy of this type is producing positive results beyond what traditional therapy brings. The data is showing that longer term any therapy is about equal.

Anybody promoting them as anything near cure is being less than honest but I am seeing that less and less these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    @Lyerly - I feel your frustration. Your injury sounds similar to mine in many ways. Even though I have many contractions below my level of injury - my gains are limited in terms of power and ultimately therefore practical use. There is a conflict. You are obliged to continue intense rehabilitation (which is not cheap) in the hope that you can recruit one or two more muscle fibres. I understand where you are coming from. The transition from ASIA C to ASIA D in a LMN lesion is a huuuuuge step.

Although it seems like the SCI Research is focused upon the plasticity, regeneration of axons in the CNS and remyelination there is also related work being performed in other disease groups. Keep an eye out on ALS and SMA research which should also bear fruit for LMN lesions.
    Yea I will keep up the rehab bc I don't know whatelse to do. I am still working hard to get the stimulette den2x unit. I know it won't be magic but since they say in theory over time it can restore muscles so I must try it. It almost seems like my only shot in the near future. Hope it produces good results soon for you.