Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home generator

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    I never thought about my chair or lift. Thank you!
    We had a power outage from a bad storm last night. I recently started using a low air loss mattress because of a skin breakdown and the generator saved me.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

It's one of the most obvious things, but you don't think about it till something happens.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

have an appt. for estimate next week
    he said i'm looking at 7500k.......

anyone want to adopt me? i'm not toilet trained but fun at parties...
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Hey Liz, they do make an emergency power back-up that runs an inverter off of a bank of deep cycle batteries as well , But you would need a serious one to run many items in the house but you could run a charger for a power chair and air bed.
    Those are made for in house and apartments but are limited to how many batteries you have for backup, also limited on watts as well.
    But if you go with a diesel generator you have less problems than with gas storage, the new methenol fuels just will not last that long in storage tanks so those you need to empty or run dry every few months or the gas will seperate in the tank then the generator will not run..
    I have a large diesel generator that I got off of a yacht 5 years back and it is diesel but ussually here in Florida we have an idea that a storm is comming then I fill it but I have to run it to use all of the fuel out of it or even the diesel will go bad after a season of setting..its a 17kw that uses 1.1 gal of fuel per hour and I only have a 22 gal tank so I get 18 -20 hrs constant running so I shut down for a few hours when I can to save time.
    They do have the propane ones but you would need to get a larger than a grill tank to run because just a 20 lb tank will only run a small generator for up to 10 hours.
    I would get one for natural gas and hook it up to be saf you can use a small propane for a backup if they where to shut off the natural gas..
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    have an appt. for estimate next week
    he said i'm looking at 7500k.......

anyone want to adopt me? i'm not toilet trained but fun at parties...
    Liz,
    Be sure to check company out with BBB, etc. before you sign anything. Find out if they have 24/7 emergency service in case it fails. Find out if they have service contracts to provide routine care. IMO, a reputable, reliable installer is more important than the generator brand. Ask if they have installations in your area that you can check out.Let us know what you find out.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

It'll be natural gas.
    I'll check with BBB and my city as the plumber said he'd need to file with city for permits so that's a plus. He was one of three that were installer of the one SCI55 suggested.
    I'll ask if they did any work here in town.

BBB has given them an A Plus

I recently had a generator failure diuring pwr outage for 1st time in 7 years. Called my generator guy after hours (I have his personal cell#) he called his electrician who arrived 1.5 hrs after my call at 8:30PM and fixed problem in 30 minutes. If you get a standby generator this is the kind of service you should arrange at time of sale. In addition, plan to have your company service the generator twice a year. It's a good investment. I claim 100% of these expenses as medical expenses as we have hospital beds, recharge pwr chairs and ny wife must use BIPAP for sleeping. I would also claim 100% of installation cost as well.

You mention you have a fireplace?? Why not just use the fireplace for wood? or a woodstove insert?

Quote Originally Posted by Susqu View Post
    You mention you have a fireplace?? Why not just use the fireplace for wood? or a woodstove insert?
    I could never sleep. I have MAJOR fire fear.
    The fireplace would need work as well as I just had it inspected. It would cost a few thousand dollars.

I'm looking into gas if feasible.