Thread: Errors

Errors

I'm full of stress, caffine and questions tonight so.... sorry in advance.

The last few weeks of work have been a bit rough... I am slowly adjusting to my new position and have become WAY more comfortable... but, I'll be honest, I don't think I got all the training I needed and I've made some mistakes.. Nothing HUGE but, I'm kind of prefectionist when it comes to my job (I try to be).

For example, I talked to a lady last week and I had to verify her husbands schedule so she asked if I could call him... Sure... What I didn't realize was that the system we work with wouldn't let me do that... You have to look them up by last name/ phone number and then put in the cell number and then call it.. Whoops. My coworker tried to look iit up, but we couldn't find them so, I couldn't call him. Their appt. is for the end of October so, I'll have to call her a few days before anyways and my boss didn't seem all that worried, but I felt bad.

Then yesterday, I had a call back for someone I was SURE I had marked as not interested in the system (bugs have been in the system the last little while, so I don't know). So I marked it NI again...

I'm not even sure where the question is in all of this... I guess maybe I'm just venting. All I'm sayin' is, I like my job, I'm doing my best, and I don't want to lose it.

Thanks for reading this book

dont stress!!! mistakes happen and perfection is just an illusion. keep up the good work!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    dont stress!!! mistakes happen and perfection is just an illusion. keep up the good work!

Thanks

They were lucky when you applied for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    They were lucky when you applied for the job.
    Thanks Linda . A corporate big wig is coming in for the week so, I think that is adding to the stress; I'd hate to have marked the wrong person NI or something and have them call back while she's there and be all mad because I never called them back or something, that would suck.

it sounds like you are doing a good job. I agree they are lucky to have you.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Thanks Linda . A corporate big wig is coming in for the week so, I think that is adding to the stress; I'd hate to have marked the wrong person NI or something and have them call back while she's there and be all mad because I never called them back or something, that would suck.
    I wouldn't stress. 'Big Wigs' don't worry about the small things. Look at the org chart..If they are three levels or higher, you don't matter to them (well, individual job type). They get condensed information at best for your level. Sure they'll to the dog and pony show walk through, but don't worry about it unless you have lotsa complaints.

Example:

I worked at Health Canada for several years. I do IT stuff. One time, the Minister of Health was coming to the city for make a speech at the U of A and another for the HC employees in Edmonton. Well, a co-worker and myself were tasked with setting up the projector in the theatre for his presentation to our fellow employees.

We had the projector setup and tested his presentation an hour before his presentation. I didn't know back then, but the minister (I assume every minister does too) has a whole entourage with him; assistants, assistants to the assitants, and even his own IT support!

Well, 20 minutes before he arrives. We were bored and decided to watch the 'how to' video for the projector. The IT entourage comes in 10 minutes before arrival and asks what we were doing, I said, "Watching the setup video". You see the panic set in on this guys face was priceless.

He starts screwing around with the projector, so I asked him what he was doing. "This projector needs to be setup in 10minutes!" he said. "It is." was my reply, "We're just watching the setup video."

He left, we laughed our asses off. (Told our boss, in case there was any incoming issues..he laughed and passed on the story to the next level up..just in case)

Anyways the Minister comes in like some rock star (Incidentally his name was Allan Rock). going up and down the isles shaking hands and stuff. Does his 15 minute presentation...Then *poof* is gone to the airport..

In the org chart review..they were '5 levels' above us...
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by Reed-edm View Post
    I wouldn't stress. 'Big Wigs' don't worry about the small things. Look at the org chart..If they are three levels or higher, you don't matter to them (well, individual job type). They get condensed information at best for your level. Sure they'll to the dog and pony show walk through, but don't worry about it unless you have lotsa complaints.

Example:

I worked at Health Canada for several years. I do IT stuff. One time, the Minister of Health was coming to the city for make a speech at the U of A and another for the HC employees in Edmonton. Well, a co-worker and myself were tasked with setting up the projector in the theatre for his presentation to our fellow employees.

We had the projector setup and tested his presentation an hour before his presentation. I didn't know back then, but the minister (I assume every minister does too) has a whole entourage with him; assistants, assistants to the assitants, and even his own IT support!

Well, 20 minutes before he arrives. We were bored and decided to watch the 'how to' video for the projector. The IT entourage comes in 10 minutes before arrival and asks what we were doing, I said, "Watching the setup video". You see the panic set in on this guys face was priceless.

He starts screwing around with the projector, so I asked him what he was doing. "This projector needs to be setup in 10minutes!" he said. "It is." was my reply, "We're just watching the setup video."

He left, we laughed our asses off. (Told our boss, in case there was any incoming issues..he laughed and passed on the story to the next level up..just in case)

Anyways the Minister comes in like some rock star (Incidentally his name was Allan Rock). going up and down the isles shaking hands and stuff. Does his 15 minute presentation...Then *poof* is gone to the airport..

In the org chart review..they were '5 levels' above us...

Hahahaha that's awesome. I will say today was better.