Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teachers behavior towards 1st Grade son

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    She could be a devo. Speak with her first, don't go running to the principal. Shemay have a relative or someone close in a chair.
    I thought the same. She is overly intrigued.

She was probably not comfortable with questioning you or your husband because she knows very well her questioning is rude and inappropriate. Even worse she used your son to feed her folly. She'll continue if you don't take action. Take others advice in speaking with the Principal and teacher at same time.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

You have one well adjusted kid!!

One unprofessional teacher. Is she newly certified?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Here is what I would do: I would both speak to the teacher first in person, and tell her how inappropriate her questions and behavior was/is, and that you expect it to stop immediately. Tell her how distressing it was to your son, to you and that it was not just insensitive, but lacking in common sense. Also tell her that because of the gravity of her poorly thought out behavior, you will both be informing the principal of the matter so that he/she is aware of it, and that she is welcome to sit in on the meeting with the principal if she would like to (but making clear you WILL be having such a meeting). That is so completely unacceptable that there is NO WAY that I would not inform the principal (I speak as the mother of an elementary student and the wife of a disabled man).

it is strange, but probably harmless. I kinda like the idea of a parent teacher meeting. the only thing that bugs me is her question about your marriage. I dont understand why she would want or need that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    She could be a devo. Speak with her first, don't go running to the principal. Shemay have a relative or someone close in a chair.
    Agreed

I'm a teacher too and did the same thing with a student of mine.
    my daughters's teacher also asked about me, they said prayers during my hospital stay too.
    400 children all praying for me was nice

In education we are humanists
    Last edited by peterf; 09-26-2011 at 02:29 PM.

My son is 17 and he was always asked about me growing up. look he'll be ok. I made the mistake of getting hostile with the school on many occasions. when i should have let my son take the lead. my son was never bothered by them asking. just like your son he was puzzled. Now when my son is asked he either politely explains. or he politely tells them he's not confertable saying anything. because for a long time I was so sencitive to them questioning my son. My son refuses to tell me anything about them questioning him. I should have left it alone, and only stepped in when it bothered him.

humans are curious by nature. so it might be helpful to offer to come in and talk to the class about it. I've done this. only after over reacting to them questioning my children .gives the kids a chance to ask questions and the adults. I have 3 children and I have vonitiered to come in and talk to them(Class).

Your son is more rezillant than your give him credit. He'll be fine.

I don't know if I am making any since. and I am not a good speller. so please forgive me if You can't make heads or tails of what I am saying.

I advocate taking it to the lowest level first, and both parents arranging a meeting with the teacher. It's good to keep in mind you'll be interacting with this woman until next June. She needs to be aware that her behavior hasn't gone unnoticed. You may also be saving other kids from uncomfortable or embarassing situations if she doesn't have an appropriate social filter.

I was a student in a teacher's college a couple of years ago. Based on what I encountered there, my guess would be that the questions about your marriage were probably out of personal interest, with the justification of learning about events in the home environment that might affect your son's behavior.

The Q&A session with the doctor, on the other hand, sounds like a kind of clumsy attempt at implementing teaching about "diversity". We were taught to draw upon an individual student's "differences" in home or background in order to make students aware of the differences among minority people in the community. So at Christmas, a teacher might ask an asian student to tell about about holidays their family celebrates, for example. Of course, this is supposed to be done with finesse and sensitivity, and it sounds like the teacher might have correctly identified your son's comfort level, but misjudged yours. It's a very fine line to walk, and I was never comfortable with the idea of doing this - which is in large part why I transferred out of that major.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    My son is 17 and he was always asked about me growing up. look he'll be ok. I made the mistake of getting hostile with the school on many occasions. when i should have let my son take the lead. my son was never bothered by them asking. just like your son he was puzzled. Now when my son is asked he either politely explains. or he politely tells them he's not confertable saying anything. because for a long time I was so sencitive to them questioning my son. My son refuses to tell me anything about them questioning him. I should have left it alone, and only stepped in when it bothered him.

humans are curious by nature. so it might be helpful to offer to come in and talk to the class about it. I've done this. only after over reacting to them questioning my children .gives the kids a chance to ask questions and the adults. I have 3 children and I have vonitiered to come in and talk to them(Class).

Your son is more rezillant than your give him credit. He'll be fine.

I don't know if I am making any since. and I am not a good speller. so please forgive me if You can't make heads or tails of what I am saying.
    Well said. I raised three children and agree completely.

C5/C6

teacher....

Ditto