Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dogs

Our Newfies loved their rides. The male used to get an erection when he got in the van. Once they both observed how the lift worked they had no intertest in jumping in and out. It was lift only.

Please think twice before getting puppies - they are a lot of work. We had to work with our puppy (border collie / eskimo spitz mix) for a year or so before she stopped chewing on furnitures, messing up the house, etc.. But then again she's our first puppy so we didn't know what we were doing either. She is very intelligent (learned to do tricks), fast (likes to catch squirrels) and lovable and all that. But she also shed like crazy, so we have a vacuum cleaner especially for her.

Yes, Kelly, our Eskies (American Eskimos)(Spitz=any dog w/pointed ears and plumed tail) were smart & terribly mischievous as pups, basically you have to wait for them to grow out of their destructive stage. Once they pass their crazy phase they are super sweet and easy to care for. They do shed a lot. We also have a Keeshond (Spitz also) that does not shed.

For anyone wanting a dog, I recommend researching the breeds, mutts are really best overall for ease and health since they are not bred for aesthetics. Rescuing is ideal.

Small dogs =small bowels & bladders= messes indoors unless your home all the time.

To me, a pet is worth any and all the work if you can manage. The unconditional love they give back is immeasurable.

Here is a neat test to find your ideal match: http://animal.discovery.com/breedsel...dogselector.do
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

yes my pure breed yorkie can only eat her dog food. she cant even eat dog teats or dental bones without throwing up everywhere. and we have had her for 2 years and she just now got potty trained. I love her to death but it really took the joy out of having her with all her training

Beagles are loud. Terriers are nuts, lots of energy ready to fight anyone, or anything. Border collies and australian sheep dogs are smarter than people and can read minds. Big dogs= big food bills.
    Check this: http://www.akc.org/future_dog_owner/find_breed.cfm I thought they had a survey you could take and it told you what dogs might suit you.
    Mixed breads are great. My dad called them Curb Setters, because they would sit on the curb and wait for us to come home from school.

we got a shar pei about 2 years before i was injured and he is the best dog i have ever had. my wife worked 12 hour shifts and i was gone a lot for work and he peed in the apartment once.....before we had him snipped he did like to mark his territory so there were a few of those. i have heard the horror stories with the breed but we found a breeder that bred healthy dogs not wrinkly ones. "mickey" is 10 now and as long as we feed him good dog food he has no allergies and he is up for a walk at a moments notice, or will find the most comfortable spot to nap in the house...what ever the day calls for. they do shed some and can be stubborn, he believes he is a person not a silly dog. even got him a tux and he was in our wedding. . . . i know the wacko flag just went up but we are not like that lol.

Yorkies are notorious for being hard to potty train. I wonder why?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Terriers are nuts, lots of energy ready to fight anyone, or anything. Border collies and australian sheep dogs are smarter than people and can read minds. Big dogs= big food bills.
    Check this: http://www.akc.org/future_dog_owner/find_breed.cfm I thought they had a survey you could take and it told you what dogs might suit you.
    Mixed breads are great. My dad called them Curb Setters, because they would sit on the curb and wait for us to come home from school.
    Great post..I have a yorkie/maltese mix and it is been hell to potty trian..she is just darn stubborn! But like I said before, I need a dog I can get up close too..in my lap that I can pick up and put up to my face and I can hug and kiss to death! feel the warmth of her body on my cheek..(she is my affection outlet now that my daughters are away at school and while my husband is away at work) medium size dogs are out of my reach so to speak..unless I am in bed with them..which isnt often enough.

Also my family has a sheltie..and she is the smartest dog.so sensitive..where did you read learn that collies read minds? does that apply to shelties too? lol miniture collie? I would believe it lol!
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 09-27-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

My border collie mix was the best dog I ever had. She knew words that surprised me. I knew she was smart, it wasn't until I got Jack the monster that I realized how smart.
    I miss her terribly.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Also my family has a sheltie..and she is the smartest dog.so sensitive..where did you read learn that collies read minds? does that apply to shelties too? lol miniture collie? I would believe it lol![/QUOTE]

Had a border collie. They and the ausy's are sheep herding dogs. But they will herd anything. Ducks, kids, horses, cattle. I would just think about going to town and she would be sitting in the back of the pick-up. We were at a friends house, watching football. The dog went outside. Couple minutes latter we hear the cows. Look out the window and she is bring them in from the far end of the field. My buddy looks at me and says he was thinking about moving the cattle after the game was over.
    She did stuff like that all the time.
    But herding/working dogs usually don't make good sit around, companion dogs. They need to work.