Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Dogs

I am a T6 incomplete and want to get a dog for companionship or something to do around my place. I live alone in an apartment. I want to know:

What are the difficulty of raising/training a dog from pup to adult?

What are the best breed for paraplegic?

I also work too, so I'm also kind of worried about the dog barking or whining all day and the nieghbors getting annoyed of it.

for me..the smaller the better, less pee and poop to pick up when accidents or on walk or in yard..unless you get a older fully trained dog..but it is hard to know if they are really trained..if you get from shelter. small dogs can be difficult to train though..and can be more yappy?

small dogs can use wee pads though in an apartment situation..which is good if you cant always be consistent..and get dressed and presentable for a walk --

they are also easy to wash..I can throw mine into my sink and wash myself...imagine trying to do that with a large dog who had diareah in it's crate..or vomited? If yu have no one to help you ..that can be a big issue (

They can also get up on your lap which allows for hugs..a large dog can put there paws upon you and be at your level for a hug too. medium dog is a little out of hugging range for me..so I can reach the head but too big to be on lap long and too small to be at eye level.

If you are looking for security when on walks etc then...you may want to consider a dog who meets that criteria. When in melbourne, a woman came up to me thinking I was another girl she knew in a wheelchair. Apparently there was a rash of woman on wheels in Mornington who were getting their purses stolen off their laps! So she got a mini pit looking dog and rolled around with him on her lap! The dog was actually professionally trained to keep anyone away from her!

Can't wait to see what you get!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I think a weenie dog would suit you best.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Wheelz View Post
    I also work too, so I'm also kind of worried about the dog barking or whining all day and the nieghbors getting annoyed of it.
    why not look into getting a service dog? Labs are excellent dogs, very smart and loyal and it would be fully trained by the time you get it. you could also take it everywhere you go including work!

im not a fan of small dogs myself. some of the large breeds I would recommend would be Boxer, Golden or Labrador retreiver, German Shepherd to name a few.

raising a pup can be a challenge though if you are trying to do it alone.........personally, I would look into a service dog. thats what Im currently in the process of doing anyway. you will not find a better companion IMO

oh I forgot the shedding! bigger dog = more hair and it is really hard for me to vacume everyday! So again unless you have help..and dont; mind using a swiffer or vac..daily..My small dog doesnt shed and that has made a big difference in keeping house clean.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I actually just got a puppy last week. It is a Lab Retriever mix, about 4 months old. Training hasn't been too bad. I have found that my dog learns really quickly and from a bunch of people I know, their labs tend to learn quickly as well. She is mixed with some smaller breeds (american eskimo and poodle) so she will not get the same size as full size labs, making her a nice size for me to take care of. I work all day too, so I was worried about her barking while I was gone, but with a radio playing while I am gone, she doesn't bark too much. Since she is so young, I come home at lunch each day to take her out and make sure she doesn't mess her crate. One word of warning. If you get a puppy, make sure you take her out before you let her jump up on you or your wheelchair. I have been peed on a couple times. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Has anyone tried a rescued racing grayhound. The ones I have met were well mannered, affectionate and well behaved. Most have been just lazy. Don't want to get off the couch. I guess they figured they did their running and were done.

HI Irish Wheelz Tough question as I feel every dog can be a great companion service dog it is a personal choice .

I fess up I love Raising dogs . Right now I just have Dobermans and I dont know what I would do without my babies . They can be indoors / outdoors etc... very flexible , mine arent messy .

My personal big ol boy is my aid companion , big lunkhead baby .

He is so close to me that he will walk side by side with me around 20 acres perimeter as I roll in my elec chair , sit next to me in the truck or in my golf cart go with me anywhere . I need him and he needs me , him and his twin sister are so lovely .

Please excuse my lousy spelling

When I was down my baby was heartbroken and I will never forget his devotion unconditional love he got very depressed when I was in ICU . I think he helped me stay alive because he gave me a reason or something ,
    All I know is he is very special . When I came home he became un depressed . It is a bond I can not explain .

Have a good weekend
    Sincerely ;
    GL

Puppies take a lot of time and dedication....teaching them to go potty outside is my preference. I know some folks use a crate and puppy pads these days, but I still prefer outside. But, we live in a house which also makes this easier.

My husband wanted a dog again, after years of having none, and I did'nt. lol Mostly because I trained the family dog we had years ago, and knew how much work they can be. After a slightly heated "talk", and the fact that he had already adopted a 10 week old mutt.....well, we compromised, and he got the pup. Part of the compromise, for me, was the little stinker had to live in the crate while he is at work. I taught the dog to go potty outside by making Jim take her out almost every hour on the hour to go, and always using those terms...let's go potty outside! Jim would take her to the SAME spot everytime! After awhile, he would stay on the porch, and she would go and come back to him. Then after a time, he started staying at the door. She messed up about three times, not coming straight back.....but all in all, was pretty easy to train. She will go to the door and back again until one of us sees her and Jim gets up and lets her out.

Since I don't want to watch her on my own, she goes to the crate on the screened in porch through the day. Which, by the way, she does not go in. Most dogs won't go where they live.....if they are able to hold it. Most little dogs can't and need puppy pads.

She weighed about 10 pounds when we got her, and she is suppose to be part german sheppard and border collie. I dreaded the thought of a large dog in our small home, but the little begger just has'nt grown much! We've had her now about four months, and she probably weighs, maybe twenty pounds......I'm hoping she does'nt grow much bigger. Funny, she looks just like a minature german sheppard, except for her big floppy dumbo ears!

Don't forget providing toys......keeps them from chewing on your things! She knows what she's allowed to play with, and not to touch anything else. I wish you good luck, and hope you find a dog just right for you. Take your time chosing one......you'll know when you find her/him.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Has anyone tried a rescued racing grayhound. The ones I have met were well mannered, affectionate and well behaved. Most have been just lazy. Don't want to get off the couch. I guess they figured they did their running and were done.
    Hi Baldfatdad,

Everything you wrote is true. I've had 3 rescued greyhounds and loved them all. They're great pets. Most people think they're high-strung but that's far from the truth... like you said, they're couch potatoes. They love going for walks (and runs if you take them to a fenced in school property etc.) and will do whatever you want if you spend the time training them.

Before they'll let you adopt one they come out and inspect your house and yard. You must have a fenced in yard of normal size... say 100' x 60' or thereabouts.

Since they're usually adopted out at about 3-4 years old they're already socialized and housebroken which is great for us paras and quads.

Here's my favorite picture of a greyhound named Pumpkin. Not one of mine.

Thumbs up to rescuing greyhounds!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria