Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Original Natural Fit Handrims or Surge?

Love my Natural Fit's best money I've ever spent. Run them without the thumb channel. Had them for 8 years, they have a few scratches but no burrs or rough spots like you would get with other handrims. Best of all no more hand/finger pain.

Spinergy FlexRim are the only way to go

I have been trying many rims over the past 3 years.
    I have the NF and NF lt, and a number of alu and titanium rims.
    My favourite - by miles! - are the Spinergy flexrims.
    They are awesome, particularly their push motion, which happens mainly thru the thumb, without the need the grab the rim... And that's great for the hands.
    Going back to any other rim is plain painful.
    Also I do like the ability to squeeze in spaces that are slightly narrower than the chair... Very handy.
    The downside is
    - cost
    - rubber can get damaged and detach (sugru is the only thing I found that holds and fixes it)
    - rubber gets sandy and wet
    - aluminum makes my hands very dirty (I guess I squeezed to many times and damaged the coating)

Despite all this, I am going to order a new pair to replace mine... In the meantime I am using nf lt, and my hands and aching.*

Would ordering coated middle thingys be any good? Any experience with his??

Would ordering coated middle thingys be any good? Any experience with his??[/QUOTE]

Ch, for me, the middle thingys put my wrists at an ackward angle so took 'em off and then went back to regular rims. I push with my thumbs on the tire and fingers wrapped around the pushrim.

I had thumb pain using the NFs without the thumb ring, so everyone is different. I posted here about it after I tried out the NFs and was waiting for my chair. Once I got the NFs with thumb ring though, I never experienced thumb pain. My chair did accidentally come with full sized NFs on them so I used those for a couple weeks before putting my LTs on, and the full sized ones caused wrist pain for me. I was turning my hands in too much while trying to wrap my hands around it. The smaller size fits in my palm just right and I don't accidentally pop my wrists out. I have exceptionally tiny hands though (when I was teaching riding, my kids got a kick out the fact my hands were smaller than theirs!) and very weak wrists so I need to wear wrist supports to push.

I found the flexrim interesting because of the rubber. I had expected the thumb ring part to be rubber on the NF for some reason. But I need the somewhat enlarged piece of the LT to wrap my full hand around due to ulnar nerve damage.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.