Thread: Pressure ulcer

Pressure ulcer

Good Morning,
    I have a pressure ulcer on my rear just under my left ischium. It was very small and we had it under control until I wacked it on my wheel and it opened up. It was open to the the size of a nickel with a hard spot underneath. My doctor had me clean it with a wound wash and cover it with Duoderm. I have been in bed off of it since Saturday. It drains a clear liquid everyday. I left the first Duoderm pad on it only a day but took it off to see why it was draining. It does not look infected. I replaced the Duoderm yesterday so I looked at it and it looks "soft" with new skin covering the wound. My question...is it normal to drain? Is the hard spot underneath normal?
    I haven't had a pressure ulcer in this spot in 25 years and the last one I had was 7 years ago, nothing like this, on my tail bone.
    Thanks,
    John C

Is it possible to get a good quality close-up photo and e-mail to the SCI-Nurse? It is difficult to tell what you are dealing with from your description. If it is covered by normal skin (not scar) then it would have been only a stage II pressure ulcer, but you still need to stay off it completely. If it is draining, it is not healed, and there may be tract. The hardness could be induration, which is an indication of underlying infection and inflammation. Did your doctor do any lab tests such as pre-albumin or CRP?

(KLD)

pressure sore

not pretty

This looks like a fairly serious pressure ulcer...likely stage III. You need to stay completely off your back, and if sitting, must make sure that you are not getting any pressure against this area from cushion or seat back (or stay in bed). I would recommend seeing a good plastic surgeon or expert wound care nurse ASAP. I would not be using Duoderm on a wound like this.

Ask your physician to get some labs. At the very least you should have a CRP, pre-albumin, and a CBC if you have not had one in the last week. It is possible in this location that you have underlying bone involvement. These test can give a clue to that.

(KLD)

Thank you so much. I am on the phone with ins co right now.

Microcyn for pressure ulcers has been covered in this thread:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=136486
    I'm back on Facebook again--up and running!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000532232573