Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juicing and making fruit smoothies

Juicing and making fruit smoothies

I am thinking about going on a juice fast and if I like it I would like to make it a part of my daily life. I need some pointer on the best way to do this. What are some good fruits and vegetables to do this with? Is it true that you are not supposed to mix some fruits and vegetables together. What kind of juicer that isn't outrageously expensive would be good to buy? What are some good ways to make fruit smoothies as well? I don't like any kind of yogurt at all so I don't want to try that.

I don't eat healthy at all. Some days I don't even get any fruits or vegetables. I want to change that. I want to make it a part of my daily life to have some type of fruit smoothie in the morning and some juice with vegetables in the evenings.

Will eating more fruits and vegetables like this help with my chronic constipation problem?
    Last edited by faith9778; 09-22-2011 at 10:29 AM.

I would caution you against any fast that does not include sources of quality protein. This can quickly lead to skin breakdown and other problems. If you are going to make smoothies, include protein powder, yogurt or ice cream to get some decent protein sources included.

(KLD)

I agree, to improve my nutrition I started with Herbalife healthy meal, frozen strawberrys and frozen blueberries(sometimes bananas). Add some protien powder, yogurt or milk and whip it up. It's a good start to the day....and yummy.

The only vegetable that didn't juice well for me were these unique varieties of squash, everything else I juiced and blended together but haven't been using any protein because its a diuretic. I made a video about it which you can see here: http://myaccessiblelife.blogspot.com/2011/09/juicing-for-my-evening-meal.html

We like a yogurt smoothie for breakfast.

Serves 2
    6 oz plain no fat yogurt
    4-5 washed, hulled strawberries (or other fresh or frozen fruit)
    1/2 banana, broken into pieces
    a splash of orange juice
    dash of vanilla
    4 ice cubes
    (protein powder of your choice, optional)
    Whirl in the blender until smooth.

Yesterday NL made a particular tasty smoothie:

Serves 2
    6 oz plain no fat yogurt
    6-8 pieces of frozen mango
    1 ripe, medium peach, washed, pitted and cut into chunks
    splash orange juice
    5-6 small ice cubes
    Whirl in blender until smooth and thick.

You can add any frozen or fresh fruit in combinations you enjoy.

All the best,
    GJ

for those interested in Vegan formula..Stephen recommended "The Ultimate Meal " here and I am now seriously addicted. My husband who travels a lot and my daughter who is in college also are now big fans..just hooked up good ol Mom!

Per instructions just add banana, a apple or peach and 1/3 cup frozen blueberries to 8 ounces water so you get fresh fruit, and all the greens and protein stuff ya need for a complete vegan, no gmo, no gluten meal! Plus has been great for my blood sugar! I can last from brekky to 3-5 pm! no sugar lows!

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Life-Meal-1200-powder/dp/B00013YYR6

read the reviews..for more info

PS I never use the banana. just one peice of fruit and more blueberries.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Would I need to have the protien powder AND milk or just one of them? I won't be using yogurt or ice cream.
    Last edited by faith9778; 09-26-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    We like a yogurt smoothie for breakfast.

Serves 2
    6 oz plain no fat yogurt
    4-5 washed, hulled strawberries (or other fresh or frozen fruit)
    1/2 banana, broken into pieces
    a splash of orange juice
    dash of vanilla
    4 ice cubes
    (protein powder of your choice, optional)
    Whirl in the blender until smooth.

Yesterday NL made a particular tasty smoothie:

Serves 2
    6 oz plain no fat yogurt
    6-8 pieces of frozen mango
    1 ripe, medium peach, washed, pitted and cut into chunks
    splash orange juice
    5-6 small ice cubes
    Whirl in blender until smooth and thick.

You can add any frozen or fresh fruit in combinations you enjoy.

All the best,
    GJ
    I'm thinking of getting this NutriBullet juicer. Looks like it has good reviews.

What do you think?

UltraClear is an excellent fast/detox. You can supplement with all the greens you want, plus some lean protein if you want. Fruits have lots of sugar and are not ideal for fasting/detox.

http://www.metagenics.com/products/a...ist/UltraClear

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting this NutriBullet juicer. Looks like it has good reviews.

What do you think?
    NL makes our smoothies in a blender. We have not done any juicing and don't have an appliance that would handle the juice extracting process. Maybe someone who has experience with juicers will chime in here.

We don't drink much juice and prefer whole fruit or vegetables to fruit or vegetable juices. The reasons:
    There are fewer calories per serving of fruit than fruit juice
    There is more fiber per serving in fruit than fruit juice
    Fruit is cheaper per serving than fruit juice

One orange has 70 calories and 3 grams of fiber. If you were to make fresh-squeezed orange juice, you would likely use 3 oranges, triple the calories to over 200 per glass and leave all of the pulpy fiber for the garbage can. Even orange juice with a lot of pulp in it is low in fiber compared to eating all the segments in a whole orange. When you juice an orange, you will throw away most of the pulp between the segments. When you eat a whole orange, nothing is left behind but the skin. This goes for many fruits and vegetables that you would juice as opposed to eating whole. You feel fuller when you eat whole fruits or vegetables than when you drink them in juice form.

All the best,
    GJ