Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will this sacral wound EVER go away?! (Graphic Pic Warning)

@misty...

Love your screen name -- very clever! Welcome to CC. It sucks that you needed to find us, but I'm very glad you did, and believe you'll be glad you did, too.

I completely understand your reasons for foregoing flap surgery. In addition to the lung infection problems and other problems, I'd worry that even a split-thickness muscle flap might leave the donor site at significant risk for breakdown in the future since there's so little padding on you as it is.

Give the product Leila mentioned a try. I've had a very difficult time healing wounds on my right arm and hand. It's taken months, and in the case of mysterious hole that appeared on the pad of the ring finger, years, to get even small wounds close up. But with the use of Microcyn [in the form of Vetericyn VF, extra-strength veterinary version of the product], a small but deep wound that was down to the bone on my little finger healed completely in just under six weeks. Cleaning the wound bed with VVF twice a day and keeping it covered with sterile gauze soaked in VVF made a dramatic difference. After two days, the infection was gone and the wound started to fill in shortly after. YMMV, but given what you're dealing with and the limited options available, you've got everything to gain by investing in enough VVF to give it a 30 day trial. You'll know by that time if it's helping you heal. Be sure to get the liquid VVF rather than the hydrogel, and do as many dressing changes a day as needed to keep the VVF-saturated dressing from drying out.

I really hope it works as well for you as it has for me, Misty. The VVF has not only helped with treating infections and healing wounds, I've also had success in using it to treat respiratory infections.

Best wishes for quick healing.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Hi, Misty, I am sorry you are going through this. I have a liquid protein supplement to recommend that was given to me in rehab post-flap surgery: Pro-Stat AWC, which is especially formulated for advanced wound care. You only take 2 tablespoons at once, so perhaps you can handle it. Good luck!

Thank You everyone! I think I am gonna try out that Pro-Stat ACW -- any particular recommendation of where to buy from? I went yesterday and bought $40 worth of Vitamin C and L-Lysine... The pro-stat sounds like a much better "all-in-one"... Thank you also thehipcrip for understanding my situation.

I buy mine from dietdirect.com, but there are other on-line sources. My local CVS didn't have it and couldn't order it for me, but perhaps your local drugstore could. When they gave it to me in rehab, they did not give me additional supplements such as Vitamin C. I take it 3 times a day, and I and my nurse believe it is helping. I really, really hope it helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    @misty...

Love your screen name -- very clever! Welcome to CC. It sucks that you needed to find us, but I'm very glad you did, and believe you'll be glad you did, too.

I completely understand your reasons for foregoing flap surgery. In addition to the lung infection problems and other problems, I'd worry that even a split-thickness muscle flap might leave the donor site at significant risk for breakdown in the future since there's so little padding on you as it is.

Give the product Leila mentioned a try. I've had a very difficult time healing wounds on my right arm and hand. It's taken months, and in the case of mysterious hole that appeared on the pad of the ring finger, years, to get even small wounds close up. But with the use of Microcyn [in the form of Vetericyn VF, extra-strength veterinary version of the product], a small but deep wound that was down to the bone on my little finger healed completely in just under six weeks. Cleaning the wound bed with VVF twice a day and keeping it covered with sterile gauze soaked in VVF made a dramatic difference. After two days, the infection was gone and the wound started to fill in shortly after. YMMV, but given what you're dealing with and the limited options available, you've got everything to gain by investing in enough VVF to give it a 30 day trial. You'll know by that time if it's helping you heal. Be sure to get the liquid VVF rather than the hydrogel, and do as many dressing changes a day as needed to keep the VVF-saturated dressing from drying out.

I really hope it works as well for you as it has for me, Misty. The VVF has not only helped with treating infections and healing wounds, I've also had success in using it to treat respiratory infections.

Best wishes for quick healing.
    VVF is really good stuff. A few weeks ago, I discovered I have a pressure sore on my back right below my bra strap, it's about the size of a dime. Once I figured out what was making me feel funky, I started using the VVF. At first my sore was draining pus and it had a funky smell. It's been almost two weeks, its stopped draining and it doesn't smell anymore. And most importantly it's closing up. I'm so glad I bought this stuff, I plan on having a bottle on hand since I'm always burning myself.

So thought I would post an update.

Since I last posted, my doc did a MAJOR debride that made my others look like nothing more than scraping the surface. Basically 3/4th of the edges were totally scar tissue and tough as can be. He thoughts were that if he could get it down to soft fatty tissue it may respond to the VAC. Of course this would mean the wound would have to become bigger. He did it in a way where he kind of beveled the edges inward. Then he said, "I want to do Apligraf on you." This excited me since flap surgery is not an option for me. So basically, upon going back the next week (which was this last Thursday) first of all for the first time the dimensions of my wound had shown the first sign of improvement. The 1st round of Apligraf was applied (after another wound cleaning of course). My wound vac is still being used, but of course on a lower setting of 125mmHg. Monday will be my first vac change, I can't wait to see it. Then I will go Thursday for another graft. At this point, we just want it sealed off. So I pray the grafting "takes"... I also have been ritually taking the Pro-Stat AWC daily.

Microcyn
    Google it.
    Search it on YouTube.
    Try it.
    Karen M
    C 3/4 inc. central cord
    10/29/1992 - 18 years, but who counts?

Chlorophyll soft gels, and Hawaiian sprilina. I use them daily for infection reduction/immune builder- as an alternative to vit C. Used to get frequent uti's. Beenpretty clear since starting these suppliments. Good luck!
    "People Will Forget What You've Said, They'll Forget What You've did, but They'll Never Forget How You Made Them Feel" -Maya Angelou

The 1st apligraf didn't take. Applied 2nd one today, this time we have taken off the wound vac. I also for the first time has a low air loss overlay that was delivered today. Hope all this helps. I am happy to be off the vac to be frank as I do not believe it has helped me at all.

total agreement

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The photo is not very sharp, but it does appear that you have a serious stage III or IV pressure ulcer. It is very unlikely to heal without surgery from the tale you told above. Of course you should not be sitting at all, ever, no matter what wound treatment is being used. You should be on a low air loss bed. A memory foam mattress does not provide enough pressure reduction to help a wound heal.

I agree with the plastic surgeon that you probably need a flap. With proper care, you would not get pneumonia just from being on bed rest. People with high spinal cord injuries are also at risk for pneumonia and DVT on bedrest, and are often difficult to intubate for surgery, but they have these surgeries all the time.

How is your nutrition? What is your pre-albumin level? Your CRP level? Are you taking protein supplements? A multivitamin?

(KLD)
    Unless you're going to a doctor's visit you should not be setting up an you need a pressure relieving mattress preferably low air loss. You also need to seriously increase your protein levels I would suggest a casein protein, you can get it it GNC it comes in 2 pound bags and with the GNC card is less than $40. If you get your hormone levels checked it's possible that you can get an anabolic steroid to help you with your wound healing but that's something I would definitely consult with your doctor about I have a serious wound 1000 times worse than yours so everything I'm telling you is from almost 2 years of experience. Get back to me if you'd like to know more