Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with custom wheelchairs?

Any experience with custom wheelchairs?

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in ordering a custom wheelchair on here, and whether they would recommend any specific company to deal with?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by randyorton View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in ordering a custom wheelchair on here, and whether they would recommend any specific company to deal with?
    nobody here uses a wheelchair

haha. Did you get a warning from Nurse Ratchet for not being nice? :-)

Randy,

You're in the right place to mine for knowledge about ordering and configuring wheelchairs. You will have to be more specific, however.

What are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by randyorton View Post
    Ultralight wheelchairs (K0005 and K0009) are tailored to fit the end user through custom fabrication/adjustment of a standard pattern. Hospital-grade wheelchairs (K0001-K0004) are off-the-shelf and have very little if any adjustment capability. By "custom wheelchair," if you mean ultralight, we have lots of experience.

Some ultralight manufacturers are Lasher, TiLite, Icon, Top End, Sunrise Medical, Ki Mobility, Colours, Kuschall, Panthera, RGK, Oracing . . .
    Last edited by chasmengr; 09-21-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

if you mean a totally customized, bespoke chair, rgk are great: http://www.rgklife.com (europe) or http://www.4rgk.com (us)

Hey, yes I'm after a bespoke custom wheelchair (sorry, should have been more specific).

Many thanks for the info Amy, I'll check them out. I also found some info on Sunrise Medical's special build department for custom wheelchairs here.

if anyone has had any experience with these two companies ordering a bespoke custom chair, it would be interesting to hear their experiences.

Thumbs up a lil custom Hand nubs n more

Attachment 42063 < this is my current one I like folding back rests plus higher back rest 20 inches high plus 19 inches deep on the seating 18 inches wide
    Tried them Magic Wheelz good item but hard on my bad rotor cuff so I just ordered another set of different rims
    Customizing our chairs is so important as it is very personal .
    I modded this one and still am modding it more various parts but all fun

Customizing is special to me and fun . I started building / welding my own chairs long ago .

Sometime soon I will be building my own custm rugby wheelchair
    I am excited

Have fun find your own comfort style and keep on making it better

Good luck you all
    Sincerely ;
    GL
    Last edited by GL; 09-22-2011 at 05:43 AM.

TiLite has a Designs Unlimited service through which they provide numerous custom mods.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

All of the manufactures make "custom" chairs. The definition of a K5 is "custom"

My $.02 The more important thing is getting fitted correctly. I have seen people in a $5000 ultra custom chair that was fitted wrong a were miserable. Conversely, I have seen people in a $1200 low end K5 that were fitted correctly and were completly happy for years. Find a good therapist and or dealer that has fitted 100+ people in K5 chairs and have them measure you and make recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    TiLite has a Designs Unlimited service through which they provide numerous custom mods.
    Completely disregard this advice above.

That's going to throw you into the jaws of their ripoff operation.

It sounds to me like you have a lot of homework to do before you know what you want out of a custom chair.

The first thing you need to realize is that the overwhelming majority of the standard features made it there for a reason.

The second thing is that as your knowledge grows, your ideas of what gets customized to fall into the category of the "the little things."

Buy one of TI Lite's Ebay deals that closest fits you and go to town on changes to it. You will regret using your gov't cheese or insurance on a chair that you have no real idea on the principles behind it. That will set you back five years right out of the gate.

The whole idea of custom starts with the fact that you understand the fundamentals. At this point, I don't think you do. That's okay. We've all been there.

I think you started this thread to get opinions like this. Use your time wisely.