View Poll Results:

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • I did not get more functional recovery 3 or more years after injury.

68 46.90%
  • I had a "complete" spinal cord injury at 24 hours and had no voluntary movement or sensation more than 2 segments below the injury site but recovered additional motor and/or sensory function 3 or more years after injury

19 13.10%
  • I was an ASIA A at 24 hours and recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury

29 20.00%
  • I was ASIA B at 24 hours and recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury

22 15.17%
  • I was ASIA C at 24 hours and recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury

7 4.83%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Do people who were ASIA A, B, C at 24 hours after injury recover function 3 or more years after injury?

Originally posted by Betheny:

hope2findacure:
    Let me guess, the rehab was tirr? And the doctor's name either began with a d or a P? I'm guessing donova...uh, i mean dinosaur? Glad he didn't pull that doctor god mind game over on your husband! WHY do they do this to us when we are low???? Sorry to digress-Beth

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000
    Holy WOW!! Thanks Betheny. You said EXACTLY what I was too chicken to say but thought "My gosh, can it be?" Jesse's doctor was Dr. D also at TIRR. I cant really say we had any bad experiences like hope did but he warned us about going out to Project Walk, it being in California and all. Dr. Young and other nurses here at least say that that kind of exercise is good for the body, but at the rehab in Texas I was almost afraid to mention the fact that we were headed to CA for therapy. Got some pretty funny looks, and some more be careful attitudes. Be careful WHAT? That Jess might get better with good physical exercise, and possibly walk and prove that exercise does help and that "you are as good as you are going to get" is not true?

Based on 63 votes, this poll suggests that half of the people recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury, including 17% of the voters who were "complete" for 24 hours after injury. This is actually very close to what some of the studies in the literature are suggesting, i.e. about 15% of people with ASIA A will become ASIA B or ASIA C. People with incomplete spinal cord injuries should recover some function but most probably will recover this function within 3 years.

Wise.

bump for more votes.

Dr. Young
    I am 15 month's into my injury I have went from lying in a bed to a wheelchair then walking but have the nerve ending pain in my feet and butt and anal area. those have not recovered one bit since my accident maybe because they didn't find my burst fracture for 2 month's I am working since the 6 month of my injury but my employer is letting me ride a scooter and that really helps alot. I hope I can recover from the nerve ending pain but realize it may not happen. but phsically I am doing alot better do not have balance. and is really hard to pick up thing's from the floor also cannot get down on the floor on hand's and knee's is this something I should practice doing or just leave it at that?
    Thank's
    Duge

My husband was ASIA A at 24 hours. He was recently tested at almost one year post injury, and seems to have had a slight lowering of his injury level. Previously, he had only the first group of abs and now he has some (not full) voluntary contractions in the second row also. We probably would not have noticed except for all the recordkeeping by the PT staff . He did also has had some diffusion of sensation across the dividing line for skin sensation - at the time of the injury he frequently reported discomfort at the demarcation point, but now does not notice a sharp line like he had before. This was not significant in terms of lowering his level, but it does make him more comfortable, especially during spasms.

He noticed some tingling in one of his feet during his last accupuncture session a couple of months ago. We are going to 'test drive' an FES bike within the next month, I'm curious to see if that will also bring on some weak sensations.

We are only one year out, so I didn't answer the poll.

AB wife of T8 complete para

Belle, thanks. This poll was indeed for people who are more than 3 years after injury. I apologize for the complexity of the poll questions because many people many not know their ASIA classification at 24 hours after injury and I had added the category of "complete". If we were to add all the ASIA A's and people who were told that they were "complete", nearly a third of the people with severe spinal cord injuries recovered additional function more than 3 years after injury. This is much more than most clinicians expect. By the way, there are not more people with "incomplete" (ASIA B or C) who indicate that they recovered more function 3 or more years after injury because most of them had most of their recovery within 3 years. Again, this is consistent with what most of us in the community know. Wise.

inc c4-5, yes i did gain recovery after 3 yrs definately

fuente, did you vote? Wise.

what's the use of flickers of recovery in the toes, and/or thighs? Still, after being a complete, the vital functions never recover substantially. This whole recovery is the norm thing is getting tiring, obviously anyone on this site did not recover enough to get out of a wheelchair for good. If you are diagnosed as a complete after the acute phase of your injury, later, in physical therapy, they almost always discourage and ignore the hope for further recovery

sherman brayton

Originally posted by brayton:

what's the use of flickers of recovery in the toes, and/or thighs? Still, after being a complete, the vital functions never recover substantially. This whole recovery is the norm thing is getting tiring, obviously anyone on this site did not recover enough to get out of a wheelchair for good. If you are diagnosed as a complete after the acute phase of your injury, later, in physical therapy, they almost always discourage and ignore the hope for further recovery

sherman brayton
    Shutup brayton. I am sick to death of you coming in here and crying. What the hell good are you to this community anyway with the negative attitude. Who do you think you are helping? NO ONE. Can't you keep the negative BS to yourself. Who do you think wants to hear it? NO ONE. I know, I know. Everyone deserves to voice their opinion but EVERYONE on here knows what yours is and I certainly wouldnt want to be an acute and come in here and read that. I know if this were 20 months ago and I read some of your posts, I would end up in a mental institute thinking that our life from this point on is hopeless.