View Poll Results:

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • I did not get more functional recovery 3 or more years after injury.

68 46.90%
  • I had a "complete" spinal cord injury at 24 hours and had no voluntary movement or sensation more than 2 segments below the injury site but recovered additional motor and/or sensory function 3 or more years after injury

19 13.10%
  • I was an ASIA A at 24 hours and recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury

29 20.00%
  • I was ASIA B at 24 hours and recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury

22 15.17%
  • I was ASIA C at 24 hours and recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury

7 4.83%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Do people who were ASIA A, B, C at 24 hours after injury recover function 3 or more years after injury?

sorry redneck... this doesn't answer your Q... you may want to start a different thread.

regardless I figured I'd post, since this showed up again. I'm C6 ASIA B, injured Jan. '99... few weeks ago I regained voluntary control of my upper abs (weak, but still there).

do the math... this is 4.5 years post.

hang on to hope.....

I just posted an abstract in the SCI (Clinical) Forum which describes the incidence of ASIA A to ASIA B after spinal cord injury. Wise.

redneck64 said:

"but they seem to all have the same thing in common...they had some definitive voluntary movement, even if it was just a toe twitch, within the first 6 months after injury."

This is precisely what I have observed from those with SCI that were able to eventually ambulate. I am not one of those.

Thanks Wise, I have pretty good biceps and a trace of tricep and no wrist action. Also the tingling is when touched I feel it

Thanks Redneck,

I have no feeling or voluntary movement below my nipples. Just that slight tingle in finger tips. Although during BM I can push and have some effect.

Good timing to ask. I cannot get a grip on this ASIA stuff. I am c/4/5 complete and no recovery after 3 years. I do have a tingling sensation in most figer tips, so maybe I'm not complete. What is my ASIA status?

TIA

[This message was edited by Leo on 06-22-03 at 09:37 PM.]

[This message was edited by Leo on 06-22-03 at 09:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by Leo on 06-22-03 at 09:46 PM.]

Leo,
    As I understand, and if I'm wrong, Dr. Young or anybody out there please correct me...a person is now diagnosed "complete" if they have no sensation or movement/contraction at the lowest sacral level(anal sphincter). If you can voluntarily contract, or feel in the anal sphincter you would be diagnosed incomplete. So, this would mean a person could be walking, but have no contraction or sensation "down there" and still be diagnosed as "complete"? Kind of seems like that should be wrong to me...maybe I read it wrong. Asia A would be complete. If someone can wiggle their toe for instance, but has no contraction or feeling in the lowest sacral level...are they still considered Asia A complete?
    But if we go off in this direction, please don't forget...If anyone has been able to walk, that had no definitive movement for 6 months after injury...please tell us your story.

leo, redneck is correct. You are categorized an ASIA A as long as you have no rectal sensation or voluntary contraction of the sphincter. If you have rectal sensation and no voluntary contraction of the sphincter, you are an ASIA B.

However, if you have rectal sensation and some voluntary movement of the legs, you can be categorized an ASIA C. If your leg muscles have motor scores that are equal to or exceeds half the the scores possible, you would be an ASIA D.

I think that it is very rare for a person to walk without any rectal sensation or contraction. In fact, I am not sure that I have heard or seen this situation in anybody after a cervical or thoracic spinal cord injury. It of course can happen to people with a very low spinal cord injury, i.e. at the conus.

A number of people, however, were ASIA A during the first 48 hours and eventually became ASIA C. In fact, I know several people who were ASIA A for over a year but became ASIA C. Christopher Reeve falls into this category, by the way. He was ASIA A for the first year after injury, became ASIA B at about 2 years after injury, and is now ASIA C.

Please, it is really important to point out the classification system was intended to standardize the language that was used to classify patients during the first days and weeks after injury. In the chronic stage, I don't know how meaningful the classification system is and its prognosis for recovery. A vast majority of people recover some function below the injury site. Many get patches of sensation back, often 2-3 dermatomes or even further below the injury site.

Leo, you were C4/5. You say that you did not recover anything... You probably have deltoids (C4) and some biceps (C5). Do you have any wrist extensors? If so, you have gotten back some C6. Do you have any triceps. If so, you have C7. If you have wrist flexors and some finger flexion, that would be C8. Sensation in your fingertips would be C8/T1. Tingling without touch does not count.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 06-23-03 at 10:14 AM.]

My son Justin was asia A for a few months and over the next6 months went to asia C. He is C5 but he hasnt gotten any more back since, except maybe his sensation level went a litlle lower then his Nipples on his Chest.So really the recovery time table I voted on was wrong but it was the closest to how Justin proceded.They told him most return comes in the 1st year but not much after which so far proved to be true in Justins case.

According to this poll of 48 people, 34% of the people say that they were classified as ASIA A or "complete" spinal cord injury and then went on to recover additional function 3 or more years after injury.

I find it really interesting that the definition of "complete" spinal cord injury keeps shifting. The dogma was that people with "complete" spinal cord injury do not recover. When faced with examples of people who do recover, they shift their definition. So, now some clinicians revised the definition to stipulate that a person must be "complete" for 72 hours after injury.

The paper by Burns, et al. (2003) also illustrates another goal, the definition of a subpopulation of spinal cord injury that do not recover. They found that certain factors reduce the reliability of the diagnosis of "complete" or ASIA A categorization. If they apply the ASIA A definition, close to 16% of the patients progressed to become ASIA B and a few even to ASIA C. By the way, this group at Philadelphia is probably the most experienced in applying the ASIA categories. John Ditunno and I chaired the committee that defined the ASIA categories in the early 1990's.

One possibility that almost nobody is willing to admit is that some of the recovery from so-called complete spinal cord injury may be due to methylprednisolone treatment. Conversions from ASIA A to C were virtually unknown 10 years ago when methylprednisolone was not widely applied. Now, it is not unusual to find such cases.

Please note that while ASIA C is no bed of roses, it is a step in the right direction because it means that fewer axons have to be regenerated in order to get functional recovery. Also, intensive locomotor training has been shown to restore as many as 70% of ASIA C patients to recover locomotor function.

Wise.

i´m suppossed to be complete , injuried on december 2001, but i have sphinters control, without sensation, i can go whenever i want and don´nt need to cath. but i have no voluntary move at all below the level, but tingling all the time in my legs...
    the most that i recovered was two months ago, that i was able to "pee" just in 5 minutes, instead 30 that took me before....so i think i´m not complete, and stil have a lot of hope...

berny.

i forgot, L1 injury, but loss sense from T6 below...

berny.