View Poll Results:

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • I did not get more functional recovery 3 or more years after injury.

68 46.90%
  • I had a "complete" spinal cord injury at 24 hours and had no voluntary movement or sensation more than 2 segments below the injury site but recovered additional motor and/or sensory function 3 or more years after injury

19 13.10%
  • I was an ASIA A at 24 hours and recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury

29 20.00%
  • I was ASIA B at 24 hours and recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury

22 15.17%
  • I was ASIA C at 24 hours and recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury

7 4.83%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do people who were ASIA A, B, C at 24 hours after injury recover function 3 or more years after injury?

At the time I was injured, I believe I was C5/6 complete. After a few weeks, I found a few working abdominal muscles.

When I started a new exercise program two weeks ago, I discovered that I have some muscles on the sides of my trunk. I'm working them to see just how strong they can get. I was injured 5.5 years ago.

Bump. I apologize for the complexity of the poll questions. It was intended to see whether people recovered function 3 or more years after injury and what classification they were on the first day of injury.

The first choice are people who DID NOT recover function 3 or more years after injury. With 26 votes, 58% of the people did not show such delayed recovery. This is obviously not quite enough votes to be truly a valid poll and the reason why I want to bump this poll up to see if we can get more responses.

The rest of the choices are aimed at determine that, of those who did get delayed recovery, whether they were ASIA A, B, or C. Note that the second choice is for people with ASIA A (complete) who had no function more than 2 segments below the injury site. The reason for this special category of ASIA A is because the ASIA A category includes people who may have extensive motor and sensory function below the injury level but lacks sensation and motor function at the lowest level (anal sphincter sensation and contraction).

Thanks.

Wise.

bump. Long term recovery poll

This is a good poll question...however I think that the results would be very different if those injured were decompressed ASAP!

I was totaly complete at 24 hours and I think that is why the doctor did not decompress me ie. remove anterior bone frag.

It has been almost one year and all I have regaind is some light sensation in the right leg and some other small stuff.

Matt is Asia A, C4-5, status post 4+ years; has begun to recover a tiny bit of triceps function in the last six months

i'm asia a one and a half yrs post injury. i've gotten back more than 3 levels of recovery and i'm still considered "complete"

Red and jb, you can have "complete" spinal cord injury or ASIA A and still recover a lot of function. This is because ASIA is defined as having *some* level of the spinal cord below which you have no motor and sensory function. Since the S4/5 segment is the lowest level of the spinal cord, this relegates the definition of "complete" injury to simply presence of absence of anal sphincter function and sensation. Clearly, you can recover quite a bit of function between your initial level of injury and S4/5. For example, you can recover walking without recovering your S4/5.

What is most interesting is that some people are recovering despite being told that they won't recover and despite, in some cases, not being decompressed. I wonder what would happen if these obstacles to recovery were removed.

I was having a conversation today with a person who had gotten worse after decompression surgery and this reminded me that not everybody gets better from decompression.

Wise.

Bump. Are there any questions about the classification of spinal cord injury into A, B, C, and D? The results are very interesting. Based on the responses so far, it suggests that nearly a third of people who were ASIA A during the first 24 hours after injury recovered additional function 3 or more years after injury. This is not what is normally believed by clinicians but fits with my conversations with people with spinal cord injury. The lack of responses from people with ASIA C suggest that almost all of them recover their function within 2 years after injury. Wise.

Bump - Could additional people please vote.

Deb

I have a question that is similar, but different, than what was discussed here. Of the quads and paras that now walk...how long was it before you first had any sign of movement return? For example: Is there anyone out there with a spinal cord injury that had no voluntary movement in their lower extremities, not even a toe twitch, during the first 6 months after injury that is now walking? If so, how long was it before you got the first voluntary movement? I've met several SCI's that now walk, but they seem to all have the same thing in common...they had some definitive voluntary movement, even if it was just a toe twitch, within the first 6 months after injury.