Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresh raw juice, it's what's for dinner.

Hi, I ordered the Vitamix on the 22nd. I called today to check the status of my order and they said it won't ship until the end of this week. I'm so disappointed....I WANT IT SO BAD! I have heard nothing but good things about it. I will post again after I get my hands on it!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Hi~ I got the Vitamix in the mail yesterday. I made Bacon, chedder potato soup for dinner...It was awesome and literally took 5 minutes. I made a veggie juice this morning but wasn't very pleased with the consistency. I was using the Jack LuLane juicer before and the consistency was like a regular beverage. This morning in the vitamix it was like baby food. What did I do wrong? Can you get a smoother consistency? I'm looking forward to making Tortilla soup tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    Hi~ I got the Vitamix in the mail yesterday. I made Bacon, chedder potato soup for dinner...It was awesome and literally took 5 minutes. I made a veggie juice this morning but wasn't very pleased with the consistency. I was using the Jack LuLane juicer before and the consistency was like a regular beverage. This morning in the vitamix it was like baby food. What did I do wrong? Can you get a smoother consistency? I'm looking forward to making Tortilla soup tonight.
    What vegetables did you use for the juice? Did you use enough water? You probably did not blend enough. Usually all it takes is continued blending until you get the consistency you are looking for. This may sound obvious, but do not use ice in vegetable juices (only fruit), just use cold water.

I didn't even use a drop of water....That would be the problem...lol. In my old juicer you just throw it in and it came out to that consistency. I will try the water in the morning. Thanks so much.

I didn't even use a drop of water....That would be the problem...lol. In my old juicer you just throw it in and it came out to that consistency. I will try the water in the morning. Thanks so much.
    omg, lol, you have to put the water in first! Read the book that came with the vitamix. Just an example for approx 12 oz or so of juice, I use about 1 and 1/2 cups of water, maybe a bit more. This would be one serving for me, so then take it from there. Also i almost always use a handful of grapes and they have a lot of water already in them.

ps. offroader - remember you're not (extracting the juice), you're emulsifying, so you have to add water.
    Last edited by marycsm77; 10-05-2011 at 02:45 PM.

The only juice that doesn't require the addition of a least a little water is melon. Watermelon juice is delicious.

I've had my Vitamix almost 20 years, but I don't think we've ever tried making the soups. Lately I've been using it to make nut butters - nothing but nuts.

The juices turned out a better this morning with the water...lol. I think I will add more water tomorrow. Still wasn't the right consistency for us. I made the Tortilla soup last night....So good! The bacon, cheddar potato soup is still my fave so far though....I love this machine!

love tortilla soup

The juices turned out a better this morning with the water...lol. I think I will add more water tomorrow. Still wasn't the right consistency for us. I made the Tortilla soup last night....So good! The bacon, cheddar potato soup is still my fave so far though....I love this machine!
    The soup sounds great Offroader. Keep at the consistency of the juices, you will get it right. Just throw it back in the machine and add more water if it is not to your liking, rather then just settling. It can always be thinned out with more water and further blended. Also if you like grapes, throw some in, they contain a lot of water and add a nice flavor.

I keep wanting to make Almond milk but haven't gotten around to it.

Scaper, have you tried that?