Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. W. Young - Cord Tethering, again and again....

Posted by James Kelly:
    Others are interested in this problem, are looking for answers, and may be interested to know what Wise Young thinks has potential in this regards.

JK, why on earth would learned and respectable neuroscientists (?) who are working on a cure for SCI need to employ a layperson to search for answers and materials they need in order to complete their studies? The day Dr. Young asks me to find a cure for him is the day the red flags will go up.

The details of whatever Dr. Young is doing are restricted to those who own the materials and those employed to study the materials. You surely understand that disclosing the results of these studies would be in breach of all types of contractural and confidentiality agreements. If the scientists that you wish to relay this information to are truly competent, they'd have access to the same companies that Dr. Young has access to or better yet, these companies would have contacted them to test their materials instead of Dr. Young. I would be very wary of and question the background and professional integrity of any clinician that relied on information supplied to them by an uninformed layman. Why do they need you to do their bidding? Are they finding a cure for SCI on a pro-bono basis? Could you share their indentity with us, what materials they're testing and the results so far? Or is that too confidential?

Not an Attack:

Just a request to have better manners.

Thank You

Mary

I am so far behind I think I am first....

Seneca:

Hello Seneca, it's good to hear from you! Your practical question hit's the nail on the head. It's like being transported from the smogs of LA to the pristine air of the Rockies in the span of a breath.

I'll gladly explain how this started (as far as I'm concerned). As you know, Will Ambler's group is funding a combination chronic SCI regenerative study. Will is not a research scientist. But he had enough intelligence, initiative, and determination to design, organize, fund, and launch the most comprehensive combination chronic SCI regenerative study in the world to date.

It was not with me the researchers involved discussed how to address the re-scarring problem. Will, however, is closely connected with the study and they discuss these issues with him. Since re-scarring is a matter for concern, it's been mentioned as an aspect of the project deserving further thought. Since Will knows I have some knowlege of CNS issues and I have a few contacts in research or clinical medicine who are willing to share their expertise, he asked me if I knew anything about blocking adhesions between the dura and cord.

I gave Will what information I had, then forwarded his request to professional channels. I received several replies, but none offered a definitive solution. This thread happened to be active, so I availed myself of the chance to ask Dr. Young for specific information. But to set the record straight, neither Dr. Levesque or Dr. Peduzzi call me to ask how they should conduct their studies, nor do they know I've asked for Dr. Young's advice (I've done this on my own because I respect his knowlege, expertise, and intelligence). However, they're certainly willing to listen to Will's ideas, which in my opinion is only right since he's the one paying for the work. Also, they listen to Will because he's an intelligent man who's made it his business to learn what he talks about...and they're primarily driven by the desire to cure SCI and improve the human condition, which leads them to consider all ideas based on their rational merit, not the credentials of their source.

Seneca, brilliance comes in all shapes and sizes. Scientists can and do make hugely valuable contributions who are selfish, secretive, uncooperative, and purely ego-driven. But chronic SCI will probably require cooperation and colaboration to cure. Therefore, Will has fashioned a skilled research team willing to consider ideas other than their own, regardless of their source. And Drs. Levesque and Peduzzi are not alone. I've been fortunate enough to meet others. I certainly don't tell them what to do either, and they don't camp on my phone with questions. But amazingly, they're actually willing to consider new ideas (even from you or me) if the idea in question might provide a piece of the SCI puzzle. They're even willing to openly share their knowlege.

In my opinion they're wonderful! I wish there were more!

James Kelly

[This message was edited by James Kelly on Sep 24, 2002 at 03:16 PM.]

Very interesting. Thanks for clearing that up James.

Since Dr. Levesque and Dr. Young know each other, I'm sure Dr. Levesque would consult Dr. Young directly for his advice if needed.

[This message was edited by seneca on Sep 24, 2002 at 05:34 PM.]

Posted by Dr. Young:
    Gliatech went into an economic spiral and did not seem to be able to convince the FDA that they have a version of Adcon gel that solves the problem. In any case, they are or are close to bankruptcy right now and Adcon gel has not been available for clinical use for nearly 3 years.
    For more information about Gliatech's efforts to auction its Adcon gel assets, see the following article:

http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=53561

Carthief... Thank you for your patience.

Scarring has been a problem that all surgeons who do surgery on delicate parts of the body have had to deal with. Barth Green went great lengths of putting people of rotabeds after surgery so that their spinal cords would not rest on any particular aspect of the dura for longer than a few hours for weeks after surgery. He also used a dural grafts to create as much room as possible. By the wya, his results were obtained without using any biomaterials (to my knowledge). So, it is possible. I don't have any magic solution for scarring but here is what I would do now:

1. I would pretreat you with methylprednisolone befor surgery. I think that Barth used methylprednisolone in many of his cases. Steroids are well-known to reduce inflammation and scarring.

2. I would make sure that when the surgery is done, every effort is made to reduce the amount of tissue damage and hemorrhage. I would wash the surgery site very well, make sure that it is as clean as possible.

3. I would make sure all the adhesions are removed. If Adcon gel is available, I would use it.

Wise.

Thank you very much Dr. Young, I can't even begin to express who much your insight and expertise are appreciated.

I will definitely pass your suggestions on to my neurosurgeon. Thank you so much for taking the time, it has shown me some light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

If Interested

I believe Meeker posted an Omentum procedure that Scott Falchi, from Craig performed on a gentleman who was experiencing the same problems, after multiple attempts to tke care of the cyst. After the Pedicled Omentum procedure he showed remarkable progress. You may want to contact Dr. Falchi and ask his opinion.

Arnie Fonseca Jr.
    Neuro Institute

All this talk about Omentum

Has there been any real studies done to determine if omentum can acually prevent adhesion of the spinal cord to the dura/arachnoid?

Products currently used to prevent surgical adhesion disease include the use of films, gels and sprays at the time of surgery to act as physical barriers to inhibit the formation of adhesions between organs. The effectiveness of these therapies is limited because the organs still become inflamed. There are currently no products on the market that provide both a physical barrier and an anti-inflammatory agent to prevent post-operative adhesions. However, ARC scientists have incorporated novel anti-inflammatory compounds into polymeric gels to prevent surgical adhesion disease both pharmacologically and physically.
    For more information about ARC Pharmaceuticals program, click on the link below:

http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=53565