Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair humour

Wheelchair humour

I feel like a rock star, do you experience this?

oh yes

Sometimes I pretend not to notice and sometimes I stare back or give them an inquiring look, raised eyebrows or a slight smile. Do they think we don't notice they are staring?

Quote Originally Posted by ivyanna View Post
    Sometimes I pretend not to notice and sometimes I stare back or give them an inquiring look, raised eyebrows or a slight smile. Do they think we don't notice they are staring?
    lol exactly

Theres always hope that its a good looking gal, thinking man o man that guys got some great looking shoulders.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Theres always hope that its a good looking gal, thinking man o man that guys got some great looking shoulders.
    Different kind of stare entirely. That kind I like.. well, for me, it would be from a good looking guy.

That was hard to deal with as a teenager ... I always felt the stares were because of the wheelchair but my school aged friends used to say otherwise.

I still hate it. It's something I never got over and 26yrs later people will get a scrunched up face-look from me as if to say, "What the hell are you staring at?" If they still stare, I'll make a huge production out of it.

Unless they're a kid. Then I totally understand the curiosity. They're the only ones that get a pass from me though!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yes, kids are OK. The one I really hate is when they are looking only at my legs, maybe trying to figure out what's wrong with them, then if I catch them they look away, embarrassed.

When the buses in NYC first became accessible in large numbers, with wheelchair lifts, using one would atract a lot of stares - , even in NYC, where a lot of people (I found) were too busy going where they going to spend much time on staring... and were more likely to trip over you because it's crowded and they're not watching where they are going.

How about people that don't look at you at all. they look everywhere but-- they won't meet your eyes even when you in a group of people, and you are interacting with everyone else in the group - except the person who won't look at you.

so I moved to south carolina, and they stare here with a retarded horrified look, with mouths hanging open.
    im not in a chair, but in the heat Im wearing shorts with leg braces. Id get a look now and then in other places I have live, but here it is really something how I can stop a person from conversating(new word I heard here) and cause the same dumbfounded open mouthed look every time I go out.

I was about to tell a little kid, that it isnt polite to stare open mouthed at someone, but then noticed her mother there with the same look. ...move along, nothing to see here...

When I was in college as a new sci at 18..I had the unfortunate experience of having the first wheelchair playmate being published...I think it was Penthouse..anyway--she was blond..and I got stared at all the time..and asked.."hey was that you!" NO!! lol really added a whole new dimension of embarrassment!

I was stared at all the time and it is only now getting better I feel..my older brother was on campus at the same time and told me.."they are not staring at you because of the wheelchair..but because you are beautiful"...awe..that was so sweet and needed at the time sniff sniff..I think of this to this day.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

On my trip to London a couple of years ago, I got noticeably more stares than here in NYC... open-mouthed ones, too. (There was one day in particular, when I visited a museum where the line wrapped all the way around the block, and every single eye on that line was following me as I looked for the accessible entrance...)

I did see a couple other wheelers during my time there, so I don't think it was just that. Maybe all their vent quads are in nursing homes so they'd never seen someone like me? At one point I was uncomfortable enough (waiting for an elevator with a family gaping at me) to remark out loud that I didn't think Londoners would be so provincial, but they didn't take the hint!