Thread: Medical School application.... to put down disadvantaged or not?

Medical School application.... to put down disadvantaged or not?

I am applying to medical school with a solid 3.6 and 36 on the MCAT.

On the the American Medical College Application Service (general application to US med schools) it asks if want to be considered at a "disadvantaged" status. There's a vague elaboration that explains it as growing up in an area with inadequate medical services, or if you use or have ever used public aid (which I do). Either way, it is optional if you want to be considered "disadvantaged."

General opinions.... should I choose this option?

Quote Originally Posted by captainwelch View Post
    I am applying to medical school with a solid 3.6 and 36 on the MCAT.

On the the American Medical College Application Service (general application to US med schools) it asks if want to be considered at a "disadvantaged" status. There's a vague elaboration that explains it as growing up in an area with inadequate medical services, or if you use or have ever used public aid (which I do). Either way, it is optional if you want to be considered "disadvantaged."
    General opinions.... should I choose this option?

I wouldn't if it makes you feel bad; disadvantaged is just a word and only has any significance if you feel that way unless you get extra money or some of boost towards your education I would not mark it. In my opinion there's no such thing and looking at your marks and your determination neither are you.

I would find out if it increases your odds to get in. That is all that matters now, does it increases or decreases your chances.
    Good luck to you