Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recent T-12

Oh sorry I misunderstood what you meant. Yes, it has a SCI program. Yes, CARF accredited. Model System I have no idea. This sounds much more like it: "...actually do have a T12 neurologic injury, which usually is associated with a T8 or 9 fracture."

more info

Alixis, give us more personal information so we can get to know you better and find somrone on cc that has similiar interests abd goals.

You are a student--university, high school or what?

Do you have hobbies or special interests?

Being new to Sci is mind boggling at best and we're hehelp and encourage you in every way possible. to
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

I am an 18 year old attending college. I actually am a sophomore because I took classes while still in high school. I am majoring in Interpersonal & Organizational Communication. What I plan to do with it I am not sure. I am taking 5 classes or 13 credit hours. Outside of classes I spend the majority of the time online. I spend so much time online because I don't have many friends.

If one was to look at my Facebook page they would see that I have four friends. One of those friends is someone who I use to live with. Her and I went to see a movie yesterday and went to a couple other places. I know all of them from clubs that I am a part of.

I have found that I love having a manual wheelchair. Besides the fact that I am able to go faster than if I were in a power wheelchair I found its easier to navigate in a manual. Now having a wheelchair on campus let me tell you I've never considered it a crutch. While people push the door buttons for me they don't view me as some poor soul in a wheelchair. If there is one thing I have learned during my time taking classes was that college is a place full of diversity.

Sorry for the long reply and feel free to ask anything else.

Hi Alexis, my situation is similar to yours. I was diagnosed as a T-12, Asia A. I have no feeling around my anus...I am considered a T-12 complete. My accident was May 7th of this year. I was transferred to Mary Free Bed Rehab hospital for inpatient therapy and am now attending outpatient therapy there. I now have use of my hip flexors and can move my thigh muscle in my right leg. I am learning everyday day in therapy and if you're not in therapy you definitely should be.

At first I couldn't do anything on my own but now I can dress myself, do my own bowel program, as well as transfer in & out of a vehicle...I had doubts that I would be able to do any of this. I am also attending online classes at Keller Grad School and will have my Master's in 4 weeks. I'm sorry about your situation but there is hope especially if you work hard in therapy and at home. Good luck.

Kay, right now I haven't even thought of doing more with rehab. I've focused my energies on schooling for now. Thing is I don't view my condition as a disability. I have help with somethings but I don't think that's the end of the world. How have you managed your bladder? I know your on a bowel program.

Hi Alexis,
    I have a T11 complete injury and my neurological function is very similar to yours. I am not able to move or feel my legs at all and I have no sensation below the belly button. I can suck in my stomach. I have been injured for more than 20 years. It sucks and some things continue to suck but life does get better.

I enjoyed university too - some of the best years of my life. I had a baby 7 years after my injury.

Bladder - I use intermittent catheterization with a short, plastic catheter that can be used on a toilet - not the red rubber kind where you have to get in bed and use a mirror. I go 5-6 times a day. I also take Ditropan to help stay continent in between and it works very well although it makes my mouth dry. Without Ditropan I leaked a lot and had to get up at least once a night to pee.

Feel free to ask me any questions you want. It does get better.

i too am a T11 complete just over one year into injury and have all the same issues as you do. i use intermit caths 4 times a day and digital stim for BP. sucking in and out my stomach when i'm at it helps alot too. i have an adapted car which i drive and use a shower chair to wash up. i work full time which makes it hard to balance my needs and work. i am married with an eleven year old daughter. it's hard on us all. Living like this is hell, at least i'll feel at home when i really go there. lately i'm having problems as i tend to wet myself often, i had wearing a pad or nappy during the day. nice to meet people in my situation it's a lonely world i live in.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyanna View Post
    Feel free to ask me any questions you want. It does get better.
    I sent you a private message.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    it's a lonely world i live in.

It certainly can be. I have yet to meet anyone around my age with the same "issues". Maybe I'm crazy but I don't view anything that happened to me as a disability. I mean we wouldn't go through the things that we do if we couldn't handle them right? This is why I put issues in the quotation. Maybe I'm just an upbeat person or maybe it's the psych and thyroid medications that I've been on since prior to the accident or maybe it's all of it. Either way at least to me I don't view anything as a hindrance. Just for the record, I'm not religious. After all, I am only me.

I sent some questions to someone if I can't get them answered then I will post them. I'm sorry you lost your post.

Alexis, where in Ind. are you? My son was injured 4 years ago, he is now a freshman in college and doing great. I am in Indy. Feel free to send me a message and I will try and get you connected with a bunch of local and state resources.

Best wishes.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt