Thread: How would you handle this?

How would you handle this?

A mother talking to her daughter, what she must think of her mother now.

Blog Entries
    I usually try to get in there with an answer first. The best (truly sweet) was when my colleague had her young daughter at the office. I forget – she may have asked me directly.

"... Because I got hurt and my body doesn't work as well anymore, so I use this to make it a little easier to do what I want to do."
    "Mommy, I want easier..."

How would you handle this?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I usually try to get in there with an answer first. The best (truly sweet) was when my colleague had her young daughter at the office. I forget – she may have asked me directly.

"... Because I got hurt and my body doesn't work as well anymore, so I use this to make it a little easier to do what I want to do."
    "Mommy, I want easier..."
    lol mommy, I want easier priceless

If the mom looks like she is totally going to blow the answer I usually get pretty proactive and say that I hurt myself a long time ago and now I can't walk, but that I can do everything from the chair. Sometimes, if the kid looks bratty, I add that I got hurt because I didn't listen to my mother about safety rules. The moms usually like that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    If the mom looks like she is totally going to blow the answer I usually get pretty proactive and say that I hurt myself a long time ago and now I can't walk, but that I can do everything from the chair. Sometimes, if the kid looks bratty, I add that I got hurt because I didn't listen to my mother about safety rules. The moms usually like that answer.
    LOL that's a good one.

If I hear that question and the mom just says I don't know, I don't say anything. If a child asks me directly, I say it's because I can't walk. If the child says why, I will say I had an accident and my legs don't work.

But once, I was in a grocery store and a kid asked the question and the mom said "because she's old." I was about 35. The mom was probably not much younger. So I had to step in there and say something.

I normally tell them it's because I didn't eat all my vegetables or drink all my milk.

My ex, David, thought that was cruel. I think it's cute and parents jump right on that! "See?" lol

If they're hanging off of me - the actual wheels seem to attract little hands and when I say hello that seems to provide some sort of permission to hang from every part of my chair (lol) especially while waiting in line somewhere ... I'll ask if they know where their back bone is and if not, tickle along the back bone and tell them mine is broken (even though it isn't .. I had Transverse Myelitis).

The downside of that is that they become afraid it will happen to them (I saw this with my niece as she became a tween). I don't know how to approach it any better.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12