Thread: Scuba Diving

Scuba Diving

Has anyone ever tried it? Is it even possible for a quadriplegic to do scuba diving? how are you dive in the ocean or pull you out of it

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=cozumel

It is all in the buddy and the training. My long story is at the link above.

Link below = about my re-training to dive in a disabled body.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=cozumel
    Last edited by betheny; 09-17-2011 at 09:44 PM.

I'm a C4-5 who resumed diving post injury. Like sex, post injury diving is completely different. I will only dive with a dive master at each elbow. That's how I got back to it in Nova Scotia. We trained in a pool to get them ready for an open dive. I was dying to get to the open ocean again. It's not the free-floating paradise it used to be; the equipment weighs you down. But it's better than not diving.

One necessity is a dry suit if you are quadriplegic. I used to put mine on over whatever clothes I was wearing that day. I customized it with a zipper over the leg bag for draining. And extra padding on the butt. The other necessity is a snorkel with a purge valve. No intercostals means not enough air power to clear the snorkel.

I admire you Van quad. i was an avid scuba diver went even beyond 30m, great memories, malta is a wonderful island for that sport. still have my open water license but not renewed it. how do you manage wearing the tank cylinders, and boyancy control, i think you can probably move your legs for movement.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    I admire you Van quad. i was an avid scuba diver went even beyond 30m, great memories, malta is a wonderful island for that sport. still have my open water license but not renewed it. how do you manage wearing the tank cylinders, and boyancy control, i think you can probably move your legs for movement.
    Nope, no leg movement. I'm a C4-5 from 1978 when complete was complete.

Buoyancy control is the key. My dive partners concentrated on that during the pool work. Then they could easily guide me from the side. Wearing the tanks was the uncomfortable part that I was alluding to.

When I returned to British Columbia, I had to leave my dive partners back in Nova Scotia. The local dive club here in Vancouver says that you must be able to dump your weight belt and inflate your PFD. That was the end of my diving.

You can't inflate w/ your mouth? Can you attach a loop to weight belt? Or I have integrated weights, velcroed to BC vest. Those rules are good, I just think they might be circumvented somehow.

Kicking w/ legs is impossible-I don't even own fins, 1 less cumbersome useless item. WTF would I do w/ fins? I'd be a whirligig LOL.

Buoyancy control X 1000. We use virtually no air, since we don't kick. It's all in the breathing-and the buddies!

And having accepted that if you become shark bait, your number came up. I'm pretty sure we all accepted that when we took our first saltwater dive, right? I don't WANT to die-but I am GOING to die. If I die 80 ft. down, don't shed too many tears, that's all I'm saying.

Great thread betheny! Yes, after years of complaining that nobody on CC follows links, I finally read yours. Phenomenal pictures.

Ankle weights were something I failed to mention. Perhaps that's why your feet were so swollen?