Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MRI findings on my shoulder and confused.

Thanks for the links everyone especially the link for BETH ISRAEL HOSPITAL SHOULDER IMPINGEMENT EXERCISES.

I don't know how long I have had the tear my shoulder has been hurting on and off for three years but so has my neck, left arm, and left hand but it comes from spurs that get inflamed in the cervical area of my spine. For about the past six months I noticed my shoulder was hurting even when I was not having neck trouble that is what made my Primary care doc send me to an orthopedic. I am around a T8 and been in a chair for 40 years come January guess my body is just wearing out. Aging sucks but old age with an SCI really sucks.

I am going to make an appt with a surgeon but not until we get back from vacation the first week of october. I am determined to enjoy this trip especially if I am facing the prospect of surgery.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

The Beth Israel stuff is excellent. Thanks very much for the link.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I'm so so glad the Beth Irael exercise link is helpful. My PT gave me diagrams of all those exercises but I was hoping I could find a link instead of scanning. those exercises and stretches are really helpful if you just take a few minutes here and there throughout the day. Flapping your arms like a chicken is the one I like to do best in public...also the back arches in a tight sweater LOL!

seriously though they really do help with shoulder/neck pain.
    Hope everybody can become as 'pain-free' as is possible

Have an appointment Nov 1st to speak with a surgeon now I just need to make a list of all the questions I should ask. I always think I will remember but always forgot something.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

My suggestion is to search CareCure for "shoulder surgery" and be as educated as you can. The long recovery time where the arm needs to be immobilized seems more of an issue than the actual surgery. Good luck and be blessed.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3rd View Post
    My suggestion is to search CareCure for "shoulder surgery" and be as educated as you can. The long recovery time where the arm needs to be immobilized seems more of an issue than the actual surgery. Good luck and be blessed.
    It's not only the recovery time but also if the "fix" will last. I don't know anyone post 3 years that aren't back to where they were before the surgery or worse.

Really consider it before doing; once you are cut, there's no going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    It's not only the recovery time but also if the "fix" will last. I don't know anyone post 3 years that aren't back to where they were before the surgery or worse.

Really consider it before doing; once you are cut, there's no going back.

Well that is scary. I only know one person who has had the surgery (that uses a wheelchair) and I don't know how to get in touch with him he had his done years ago. Would be interesting to know how it held up.

Wish someone on this forum that had the surgery would comment. I did do a search and read one guy that had the surgery on both shoulders, at different times, but couldn't see any post he made years later saying how his shoulders feel now.

Had shoulder surgeries but didn't repair tears

I had surgeries on both shoulders to remove bone spurs and debried the shoulder joints but I did not have the tears repaired.

My doctor said if it was any worse, he would have had to repair the tears. But I was scared of the recovery and asked him not to unless he felt it was absolutely necessary.

I was able to move my shoulders immediately after surgery and recovery wasn't too bad (relatively speaking.) Since the bone spurs were impinging on my shoulder joints, I think removing the bone helped to lessen further damage. He took a 1/4 inch across the acroniom. Also, some bone across the clavicle. After the surgeries, my surgeon said I had a 75% tear on the left side a 50% tear on the right.

A recent MRI of my left shoulder shows: "a partial articular-sided low-grade tear of supraspinatus at the myotendinous junction and also at the insertion of the footplate". also... moderate tendinosis of the infraspinatus tendon attachment. The Subscapularis tendon appears thinned in caliber and gray in signal.
    minimal amount of fluid within the subacromial/subeltoid bursa, which is felt to represent bursitis and not a full thickness rotator cuff tear.
    Also, a fluid collection which likely represents a ganglion cyst.
    I also have arthritis in my shoulders, especially on the right side.

I lost a lot of strength after the surgery. I think I would lose a lot more if I had another surgery, especially after not being able to move my shoulders for 3 - 6 months! Once its gone, its hard to get back under these circumstances. Best of luck for recovery.
    Last edited by dahliasinbloom; 10-17-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Aliya View Post
    Wish someone on this forum that had the surgery would comment.
    I have posted a couple of requests over the last few months for anyone who has had successful shoulder surgery to please let us know. So far the response has been zero.

I think Patrick brings up a good point on long term success rate. The shoulder is a complex joint that has problems in a high percentage of walking folk as they age. With us the joint is chronically overloaded beyond what most ABs can imagine. I would love to be proven mistaken, but taking tissue that failed, is getting weaker as we age, stitching it back together, and then expecting it to survive and thrive in chronic overload does not sound hopeful.

I think within a decade they will be able to take tendon from a healthy young pig (much stronger than ours) and stick it in us. But to the best of my knowledge, that day is not here yet.

Both my shoulders are shot. My wife is following on the same path. We have looked hard for solutions as well as trying to be better in the way of prevention. So far not much success on either count. And we have several doctors plus a PT in the family.

Another place to look for information on what is happens in a shoulder surgery is YouTube. Search shoulder surgery. It seems common to get a DVD of your arthroscopic surgery. It is educational to see what is done in vivo.

Gac is right, not too much we can do. For me, after so many years of knowing they were going, I relied mostly on exercising the rotators and parts of the shoulders that were less injured, gone to a masseuse 2'xs a week, chiro 2'x's a week and a personal trainer who thinks outside the box. I can still ride my handcycle which is most important. Also do exercizes at home.

Surgery should be the absolute last resort; and that will more than likely, not successful depending on what needs to be done.

Just a part of SCI, no matter how active or inactive, it's gonna get us eventually.