Thread: SureHands Lift

SureHands Lift

Anyone use one independently?

Quote Originally Posted by LMG View Post
    Anyone use one independently?
    Yes and no. I need help moving it from side to side (mine doesn't have that feature). I've trained my past service dogs to do this.

SureHands has a video to see of a c6 using it.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

SureHands Lift

ThAnk you for your reply. I love the visual of your service dog turning it!

Do not have a Sure Hands because fused hips do not allow me to fit in it. But I did know a quad who used it no problem.

On moving from side to side, I use a rope strung across the room to pull myself sideways. I got the idea here http://lifedisabled.com/2011/06/08/w...-me-hangin-on/ I use the same lift / track as in the video, but I modified the sling to make it easier to get in and out of given my body constraints.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Gac3rd, thank you for your response and referral to the video. It gives me more confidence in seeing/knowing that others use lifts independently with no problems.

Moving side to side with the rope is no problem if you have your hands. I am T4 and have no problems. Has to be much less expensive than the full blown solution. This "sling" might be an alternative to the Sure Hands http://www.planetmobility.com/store/.../polairs-plus/ I have no experience with it, just saw it while researching lifts.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Gac3rd, thank you. I had forgotten about planet mobility. I did not realize there were so many configurations/alternatives to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3rd View Post
    ... This "sling" might be an alternative to the Sure Hands...
    Hadn't seen that unit before. Based on what I know about the Surehands I think it would take much more core strength for that Polaris. Your weight will mostly be carried on the armpits. Surehands has extreme angle links at the top which result in a significant inward force at the pads. The result is more like picking up a child with your hands under the arms. You don't rely on their arm strength to hold them up. They are supported by the torso. The Surehands can lift me up without even touching my armpits. That said, the Polaris looks like it could easily be modified to provide more force by replacing the upper straps with crossed steel links. They probably can't sell it that way or it would violate Surehands patent.
    Both are expensive but in the grand scheme of things they are worth the money. For those who can't get a sling under themselves it might be the difference between independence or resigning to a life in a medicaid quality institution. Personally, I wish we had known about them years ago - before my wife destroyed her sacrum using transfer boards. The last 6 months of my life have been entirely lost to wound care for a sore that would have been avoided with a safe transfer solution. Not to mention the economic devastation.

Thank you, MSSpouse. I was horrified to read that your wife "destroyed her sacrum" using a transfer board. I have had 2 flap surgeries for a sacral wound and I know how hard it is to treat.