Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I <3 Airplanes

I <3 Airplanes

Hello All!

Just wanted to come on here and see if there is anyone else out there that LOVES airplanes as much as I!!?

I love to travel. OFTEN! and the flying part of it all has always been so fun for me prior to my injury and after my injury.

In 2008 was my first time on an airplane since my injury in 2005. WOAH 3 year break! and on the way back from vegas I made a hannibal lector mask in the terminal and put it on while i was being wheeled up. hehe, i love making people laugh, or freaking them out. whatever comes first!!!

I think it so funny when someone comes and sits next to me once i'm settled in my seat and they have no idea I cant walk. I usually get into pretty deep conversations with the people i sit next to. i'm a single serving friend magnet haha.

I also tend to laugh at the situation when i have to pee (i intermittently cathetarize) and they get the aisle chair, roll me to the lavatory, i transfer onto the toilet, the take the aisle chair and when i'm done i have to sort of yell "I"M READY!!!" haha and they bring the aisle chair back. I imagine that is awkward for some people but i just enjoy the attention i suppose.

One thing that annoys me is when i'm late for a connection so they start boarding without me. its definitely easier to board first and get off last. (unless i have a tight connection then its grueling to wait for everyone)

There are a ton of wheelchair users that I've shared airplanes with, but only a handful that were worth talking to. I'm happy to say I met a lifelong friend waiting to board an airplane. A very cool fellow paraplegic chick i love so much.

I think that's all for now!

Lindz

Oh one more thing! i was lucky enough to fly a plane myself last year. a little cessna. i met a nice couple at a restaurant and they invited me to come with them for a little trip. when we were about to take off, the husband explained what to do and i took off and flew the plane for a little bit and then got freaked out when he wanted me to make a turn in the air. it was so much fun! i would love to be a paraplegic pilot. its VERY SIMILAR TO HAND CONTROLS! there is forward backward, and left and right just like in the car, with the one extra part UP AND DOWN heehee. i cant wait for the next opportunity.

Formerly The People's Republic of Palo Alto, Now The Urban Wasteland - Orange, CA
    Well Lindsay, you know I love flying. Haven't gone International yet since my injury but have done a good amount of domestic flying - a few transcons and such with JetBlue. Now I'm a United customer, and only United. My husband is a "Global Services" member on United, so we are top of the list for First Class and Business Class upgrades when we fly.

That said, I've had my fair share of travel disasters too. In July, Nathan and myself took a trip out to Denver to scope out the area and see if it was a place that we wanted to live - he had a nice job offer on the table there. Ultimately I hated the place, and on the flight back, between giving my chair to the ground crew at the door to the plane (with very explicit disassembly/assembly instructions) and getting it back in SFO, somehow they managed to tweak several of the spokes of my Spinergy wheel... *GRRRRARGH!*

Of course UA paid for it, and I got an expedited replacement but still, infuriating. Completely and totally.

We had another mishap as well, this past Thursday as we were flying back from San Juan. We had a connection to make in IAD/Dulles Airport, landed on time - of course I'm the first one on, last one off - and that left us with about 15 minutes to catch our connection. We were at the far end of C concourse - and our connection was at the far end of D concourse. And IAD is fully carpeted the entire way. Yay for increased rolling resistance. We both make it barely in time - they were about to close the door. My arms and shoulders are burning from the 'run', my husband broke a sweat.

Go to transfer into aisle chair, that goes fine. Flight attendant however is in a big rush. She pushes me into the plane - me, facing the rear of the plane. I protest, "hey, turn me around!" and get ignored. Seat 5A is mine - first class cabin. The first class seats do not have removable armrests. Add that to the fact that I am going to have to pull off an exotic 180 degree transfer - and everyone is in a big rush. I grab the top of the seat in front, and the armrest and attempted to lever myself over - didn't think about it before I started, and it all went very wrong. I ended up on the floor, landing on my shoulder, with the whole of the first class cabin gawking at the show.

If ever there was an FML moment, it was that. The flight attendant just stood there, no apologies, no "Are you OK?", it was as if she was frozen. I made my best effort to sound like a wounded puppy and called my husband for help, who did so, helped me get seated and fished out an 80mg oxycontin for me without me having to ask - the boy knows me so well...

The flight attendant disappeared for the rest of the flight - somebody else from the aft cabin came forward to work first class. The rest of the flight was fairly routine, and it was my first trip on a Boeing 777, so, that was fun... c'est la vie.

We immediately filed a complaint with United and as compensation we were offered 2 first class tickets anywhere within the Star Alliance system. We intend to use those fully - for Singapore Airlines Flight 21 and 22!!

There are a ton of wheelchair users that I've shared airplanes with, but only a handful that were worth talking to. I'm happy to say I met a lifelong friend waiting to board an airplane. A very cool fellow paraplegic chick i love so much.
    No fair. I haven't met anybody cool while flying... except for this one dude I still email with who's the biggest X-Files fan to walk the Earth. Did you ever introduce me to this person? It's not Kate, is it?

Hey! yeah i totally can relate to the stress of making a connection when the next flight is so far away!

You know those flat escalator things? There is always a sign that says "no wheelchairs" or something of that nature. Sometimes i just jump on it and pop a little wheelie while getting off. I dont usually do it when i have TWO backpacks (one on my back, one on my lap) but with one backpack its not a big deal.

Wes and I went to Denver to see Iron Maiden and i was SO excited, not paying attention, and when i was exiting one of the flat escalators (what the fuck is the name of those things anyway, i know its not flat escalators) - i totally fell and flew out of my wheelchair. I think Wes was in shock for a second and didnt know how to handle it, he was already nervous from the flight and being out of his comfort zone - he's weird like that. So a bunch of people ran up to help me but Wes snapped out of it and said I got it! and picked me up! grr so frustrating that i cant get back into chair myself, after all these years!

Good guess - Kate and I went to Las Vegas together after she drove to SB from LA. It was pretty stupid because we had a connection in LA. Santa Barbara used to fly directly to Las Vegas. So i really should have driven down to LA. But we went bar hopping the night before so that was the main reason why everything happened that way. I dont know if you remember but Kate and I met in the Netherlands while i was traveling and she was in art school.

The person I met waiting to board a plane is an Iraqi veteran - I rolled up to her and thanked her for her service because i saw her wearing some dog tags. Turns out her injury happened AFTER she got home. She didnt get a scratch while on duty. Major car accident - she showed me a picture of her car on her cell phone and it looked like a can of sardines. Anyway - Melanie and I communicate through email only but I really hope to see her again soon. She's living in New Orleans now. Gotta put that on my list of places to visit. Maybe I can get Wes to come with me

you know what they say, "once you go international, you never go back."

While I can't say I <3 airplanes I certainly like flying. I used to love airplanes, but now that I travel more frequently (7-8 times per year) I'm just in love with getting there quickly. I usually fly Delta and Sun Country 'cause of my location, but hop on Southwest, Frontier, and Airtran when they're cheaper. Overall, my experiences have greatly improved over the past 10 years. I do miss the pre-recession days when many flights were half-full. I got free first class upgades from coach all the time.

My mishaps have been pretty minor - Once, my chair got put in the wrong side of the cargo hold and they had to get all of the luggage out before they found my chair. Another time one of my quick release axles got bent. Lucky I had and extra one at home. I thought about making a complaint, but procrastinated and forgot. That's the worst of it. Usually the issue is about the gate crew not having a straightback chair ready, but again, this has really improved in recent years. I've flown in giant jets and tiny propeller planes to airports big and small and have had little issue.

SFO is probably my favorite place to fly to - I get out there about 3 times a year. Besides the city being awesome, I get to pass over the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada, get a great view of the city as we circle to land, and then have the easiest commute downtown on the BART. Got to South Bay on the CalTrain last time and that was pretty easy, too.

Lindsay - I've always wanted to take lessons but am confused about how the rudder works. You're saying it's just like hand controls on a car? And you can operate that and the yoke pretty easily? How expensive are the lessons where you are/were?

I was just in Denver last weekend and while I agree that the city is mediocre, it's so close to the Rockies! I mean, it' can't be all bad when views like this are only one hour away:

I also love to fly but alway get worried when I board a plane about my bowel and bladder and having an accident, its one of those thing where I almost can't enjoy it since I am so worried. I love love love sitting out at our local airport watching planes land and take off. I check every N number to see the type of plane and who ownes it. What I love the most is private jets, I have never riden in one but when and if I do I can die a happy man. If anyone has any connections to get me in one I would love you forever. I also did some flying once and had a great time, hope one day to own my own plane.

Formerly The People's Republic of Palo Alto, Now The Urban Wasteland - Orange, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by redroc2 View Post
    What I love the most is private jets, I have never riden in one but when and if I do I can die a happy man. If anyone has any connections to get me in one I would love you forever. I also did some flying once and had a great time, hope one day to own my own plane.
    Well, there are cheap ways of getting onto private jets. Check out www.socialflights.com - it's a by-the-seat method of selling private jet charters, and might be a good opportunity for you. The by-th-seat method ensures that you are splitting the costs with all other travelers...

flying

I would be a happy man flying a private jet rather just riding

You guys serious? Maybe 1-3 hour flights, but that's it.

I've done 7 hour flights and a 13 hour flight.

I fucking HATE flying.
    With a SCI

If they had wide bathrooms? And I can sit in my own chair?forget about jt