Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing new van

Sorry Chris, your are incorrect on them resolving this. I have a 2008 and they have replaced/moved the computer twice on my vehicle. it still has the problem with the draining battery. i no longer have the time to think they have a fix. I bought a charger with quick connects and charge regularly all winter so I don't end up with a dead battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-M View Post
    You might of had that problem in the past with RollX vans but i guarantee you the problem is resolved. I refer a lot of people to RollX vans and they praise me for sending them to Marty @ RollX.

Please, if you have any questions about the RollX conversions, please contact Marty Walterhouse @ (952) 808-2751. This is his direct line! Marty's been working with conversion vans for many years and can answer any questions you have.

Thanks
    Chris moran

I'm going with a van for my next vehicle to save my shoulders. Trying to clarify a few things, it seems from reading here for a few years that lift equipped vans seem to be more reliable then ramp equipped vans? But it also seems that generally lifts have fallen out of favour vs. ramp equipped vans? Are the ramp vans more in favour because of the lower "footprint" when they are deployed?

Conversely I've seen lots of issues with lifts in the bus industry that seem to be from lack of regular use so long story short I'm trying to figure out what is the most reliable way to go that isn't going cost me a bundle or leave me up the creek if something goes haywire. Seriously wondering if I should stick with the "keep it simple" car with handcontrols.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'm going with a van for my next vehicle to save my shoulders. Trying to clarify a few things, it seems from reading here for a few years that lift equipped vans seem to be more reliable then ramp equipped vans? But it also seems that generally lifts have fallen out of favour vs. ramp equipped vans? Are the ramp vans more in favour because of the lower "footprint" when they are deployed?

Conversely I've seen lots of issues with lifts in the bus industry that seem to be from lack of regular use so long story short I'm trying to figure out what is the most reliable way to go that isn't going cost me a bundle or leave me up the creek if something goes haywire. Seriously wondering if I should stick with the "keep it simple" car with handcontrols.
    I don't know of a mini van conversion with a "lift" and I don't know of a full sized van conversion with folding or in floor "ramps". I think many people buy minivans because they are easier to park in garage spaces (height constraints in home and commercial spaces) and with kneeling devices the minivan ramps don't take up as much room, as you say "footprint." In addition, there is some truth to the notion that a mini van drives more like a car than a full sized van, which drives more like a truck.

In either case mini or full sized vans, lift or ramp, there are manual back up systems installed to decrease the risk of being "stuck." These manual safety back up systems may need to be operated by some else depending on your level of function and whether the system fails when you are inside or outside of the van.

My first van, 28 years ago, (before mini vans were invented) was a Ford Econoline van with a rotary lift (I'm not sure these lifts are made today). Back then many commercial garages and many home garages were not accessible to any vehicle over 6' 8" tall. With the advent of Title 24 and the ADA, this restriction is not as much of a problem as it was then. I've got to say, it was a big "bus." The downside (I didn't and don't drive) for those vans was that while my wife drove, I couldn't sit "up front." The tie-downs for the wheelchair were located in the middle row.

Since the Econoline, I have had 3 minivans, Dodge Caravan, Ford Windstar, and now a 2010 Honda Odyssey with a VMI conversion. Of course each of these has been better and more reliable than the last one because of refinements and improvements in the conversion packages. In 28, going on 29 years of handicapped motoring, we've only been stuck about 3 or 4 times due to failure of the conversion features. We have been stuck probably 4 or 5 times that due to mechanical problems with the van.

All the best,
    GJ

Re: The Eldorado...I see the wheelchair taxis around here with the Amerivan nameplate on them, so I guess if good enough for taxi fleet usage...

I'm curious what sort of experiences people have with the current Honda Odessy factory power side doors. I'm thinking a van (unconverted) might be easier vs. a car by just throwing the wheelchair whole in a side door. But I'm kind of leery of an electric door under multiple daily usage...and if it will last with that type of duty cycle. Somehow I suspect Honda doesnt expect that much use? Maybe they do, and it works ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Re: The Eldorado...I see the wheelchair taxis around here with the Amerivan nameplate on them, so I guess if good enough for taxi fleet usage...

I'm curious what sort of experiences people have with the current Honda Odessy factory power side doors. I'm thinking a van (unconverted) might be easier vs. a car by just throwing the wheelchair whole in a side door. But I'm kind of leery of an electric door under multiple daily usage...and if it will last with that type of duty cycle. Somehow I suspect Honda doesnt expect that much use? Maybe they do, and it works ok?
    If not the number one choice, surely a mini van is the number two choice for transporting kids to and from school, games, practice, and where ever else kids need to be driven several times a day, everyday. So, I think these doors are probably engineered with high usage cycles in mind. We have a 2010 Honda Odyssey. It is the first mini van we have had that has two electric sliding doors. My wife prefers getting in and out of the van through the sliding doors even when I am not in the van with her. No chance of hitting the car beside you with your door in today's compact parking spaces. She uses the side door behind the driver's seat almost exclusively when she is running errands by herself.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post

I think there both just as reliable and it all comes down to your needs.

What do you need from your van?

We have a client that needs a full size to tow a boat and carry all there gear.
    Another that needs a lowered floor 4x4 15 passenger van to fit all there stuff and get to where they want to go.

Another wants to drive a pickup from there wheelchair and needs 4x4 (Ryno Mobility Conversion)

A lot of people like the fuel efficiency, ride quality and size of a Dodge caravan, Toyota Sienna or a Honda Odyssey for a mobility van.

The list of modifications, mobility equipment and combinations of one off stuff goes on and on (we've build a lot of stuff over the past 25 years)

Whatever you do find a good mobility dealer that is confident, experienced and can really figure out what will work for you.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

The current Honda Odyssey (2011-2012) should be the most reliable that the've ever built. While i've never had one of there power door motors in my hand i'm sure they will hold up for quite a while.

I've yet to see or hear of a problem with a Honda Odyssey door operator (mobility van or not).
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Fold out ramp

I have been using mini vans since 1999 and every van has been Braun except one vmi which I only kept for 2 an a 1/2 years before I traded it off back to a bruan again. The vmi was a in floor and I had trouble with all the time. All the vans where Dodge except my new Toyota I will never have anything other a Bruan ramp van and a Toyota,

è*òåð*åò ì*ã*

Äëÿ õðóïêèõ è èçÿù*ûõ *îæåê îáóâü ñ øèðîêèì ãîëå*èùåì âðÿä ëè ïîäîéäåò, * **éòè ñ*ïîæêè ñ óçêèì ãîëå*èùåì äîâîëü*î ñëîæ*î. Í*òóð*ëü*ûå òê**è è â*èì**èå ê äåò*ëÿì ñîçä*þò îùóùå*èå êîìôîðò*.  ô*ìóñîâñêîì îáùåñòâå ñëûø*ëèñü *å òîëüêî ôð**öóçñêèå ñëîâ*, *î è *èæåãîðîäñêèå Ðåéòè*ã êîñìåòèêè : Ý*öèêëîïåäèÿ èìå* : Ñî**èê Í* ñòð**èöó: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Ïðåä. Ç*ê*ç*òü ñîçä**èå è*òåð*åò ì*ã*çè** ìîæ*î çäåñü. Îñîáå**î ëþáèì* ìóæ÷è**ìè óäîá**ÿ ñïîðòèâ**ÿ îáóâü, ïîñêîëüêó ìóæ÷è*û ïî ïðèðîäå ñâîåé äîáûò÷èêè, è ** èõ ïëå÷*õ ëåæèò îáÿç***îñòü îáåñïå÷èâ*òü ñåìüþ. Ê*ê ïð*âèëî, *ðåñò ïðîèñõîäèò ç* **ðóøå*èå ç*êî*îâ è ïð*âèë èìïîðò* òîâ*ðîâ, îòñóòñòâèÿ *åîáõîäèìûõ ñåðòèôèê*òîâ è äðóãèõ äîêóìå*òîâ. Î** îáÿç*òåëü*î äîëæ** áûòü ãèáêîé, ÷òîáû â îáóâè ñòóï*ÿ ðåáå*ê* äâèã*ë*ñü ò*ê æå, ê*ê ïðè õîäüáå áîñèêîì. Ìû ïðåäë*ã*åì ïîñìîòðåòü, ê*ê äðóãèå âëþáëå**ûå ðåø*ëè ò*êèå æå ïðîáëåìû, ñâÿç***ûå ñ âûáîðîì êîëåö, á**êåò*,ïðèãë*ñèòåëü*ûõ è ì*îãîãî äðóãîãî. Í* ò*êèõ *êöèÿõ èò*ëüÿ*ñêóþ îäåæäó è îáóâü ìîæ*î êóïèòü ñî ñêèäêîé. Í* ç*òûëêå òî*å*üê*ÿ-ïðåòî*å*üê*ÿ êîñè÷ê*. è*òåð*åò ñïèñîê ÷åð*ûé ì*ã*çè*îâ

Thanks for paving the way with your discussion. I am only 20 months into this quadriplegic adventure and wasted a year looking for a van that doesn't exist. I'n my power chair I was too tall. Now I have to remove the lift (expensive) from my chair to get my head height under 57".
    The Dodge looks better because you can get the fancy options without having a sun roof (Honda). That sunroof adds 1 1/2". Now I have to choose vmi vs Braun. The XT sounds great and isn't available with vmi. I would like a floor ramp but it sounds like trouble. I've heard to stay away from Bauns in floor so I guess I need the side lifting unit.
    Any new comments?