Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chain for racing on force r

chain for racing on force r

im getting a second chain because i clean mine weekly in kerosene. i'd like to have another ready to go. what is a good high end chain, afterall its by far the most important piece on our handcycles.
    pat, i bought the one you recomended for my force, but ive since donated the bike and cant remember your recommendation.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

You probably don't need to clean your chain quite so religiously. Applying lube and wiping it is usually sufficient. When it comes to chains, there's virtually no advantage to going with a high-end chain. Some of the hollow-pin chains are a little lighter. If you're wanting to shave grams, there's always that option. I've been a bike mechanic for years, and it's usually suggested to buy cheap chains and replace them every so often. Do you have a tool that checks for chain wear? That's always a good thing to have.

Fortunately, because we don't produce nearly as much power as an AB cyclist, chains on handcycles tend to last a lot longer. Also, since the chain is longer, it doesn't operate at nearly as much of an angle as it does on a normal bike. Typically, you should be able to get a few years out of a chain. I usually go with SRAM chains as they are every bit as good as Shimano, and they are a little cheaper.

As for the kerosene treatment... I would only recommend doing that once per season. Maybe just pull the entire drivetrain off and give it a thorough cleaning. Once per week is definitely overkill. I usually don't lube my chains more than once per week. Lube and wipe, and it's good to go.

Hi John, I'm pretty sure it was a Sram chain.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    im getting a second chain because i clean mine weekly in kerosene. i'd like to have another ready to go. what is a good high end chain, afterall its by far the most important piece on our handcycles.
    pat, i bought the one you recomended for my force, but ive since donated the bike and cant remember your recommendation.
    Could buy a titanium one, it will last you forever.

Remember; If it helps or keeps you in the saddle that much longer, it's worth it.

I'd go with with a top notch chain, titanium sounds cool, as a reward for all the hard work you've put into training and ridin'. You're worth it. I like when cyclists who know equipment compliment me on the gear I'm runnin' on my handcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Could buy a titanium one, it will last you forever.
    Wow. I didn't know such a thing was available. The description says it will last twice as long, but it costs TEN TIMES the amount of a regular 9-speed chain! In addition, a Force R will need more than one chain. You'd have to buy two of 'em a $200 a piece!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wheel_Life View Post
    Wow. I didn't know such a thing was available. The description says it will last twice as long, but it costs TEN TIMES the amount of a regular 9-speed chain! In addition, a Force R will need more than one chain. You'd have to buy two of 'em a $200 a piece!
    Yes, imo don`t worth, but if you`ve got a good wallet, why not? but there is the option, in reality they are not titanium chains, here said what they really are, just have a titanium coated
    http://mywheelsandmore.com/bicycleCh...cycleChain.htm
    Last edited by totoL1; 07-01-2012 at 06:09 PM.

You can get KMC X9 SL titanium nitride coated chain for much less. It's light and just as durable.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Just buy a pair of SRAM PC-971 (best cost/benefit) or PC-991 chains. You can also get the PC-991 hollow pin, that looks cooler than the others.

These chains last forever... I replace them every 4-5k miles and thereĀ“s no need to replace the rear cassette. And they have the "power link" that helps chain cleaning/maintenance.
    Last edited by Dado; 07-02-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: forgot about the power link!

thanks all. thats the biggest thing i learned from the late andy at bike on, TAKE CARE OF THE CHAIN. he cleaned his chain weekly and got me in the habit.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer