Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: booking hotels on internet???

booking hotels on internet???

anyone know the best site to use (travelosity, orbits, hotels.com etc) for finding good rates for accessible rooms at hotels???

generally speaking, the sites of hotels often have equal rates to those elsewhere.

we have an AAA membership, which always saves us $.

I've not been able to confirm an accessible room on those sites, I've had to contact the hotel directly. Plus, you can talk to staff and eliminate the guesswork.

I use hotels.com, you can do searchs for accessible rooms and they will confirm them for you.

i only book accessible rooms directly with the hotel. i don't even use chain 800 numbers. found problems doing otherwise so guess i'm no help. when i ran into probs, first ? i got asked was how did i book room. so...i learned quick to call specific hotel.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I've used hotels.com, but you don't save anything. You are better off to gow through the hotel chain site and than call the actual hotel itself and confirm. You still want to go through the chain website to get a confirmation and print it out/save it. I've had places, even when I called and confirmed a couple weeks before and they try to give a non-accessible room and gave the accessible rooms away. It's nice to have a printout to prove the reservation. Often you can get a free night when they try this crap.
    Those sites are geared for last minute planning, which doesn't work for those needing accessible rooms. At times, I've planned 4-5 months beforehand and still had problems reserving accessible rooms due to the limited numbers available.

We are on vacation right now, staying at the Holiday Inn. We booked thru Hotel.com. When we got here today, they didn
    t have us booked as a h/c room. Clerk said it was normal that happens when booking on the .coms. He suggested we check the rest of our reservations for the place we are traveling to. Sure enough, over half had it wrong.

If you are booking thru any agency other than the actual hotel, make sure you double check with that hotel that it is booked properly.

As JS says, check and re-check

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    We are on vacation right now, staying at the Holiday Inn. We booked thru Hotel.com. When we got here today, they didn
    t have us booked as a h/c room. Clerk said it was normal that happens when booking on the .coms. He suggested we check the rest of our reservations for the place we are traveling to. Sure enough, over half had it wrong.

If you are booking thru any agency other than the actual hotel, make sure you double check with that hotel that it is booked properly.

As JS says, check and re-check
    and don't use the chain hotel 800 line. call THE hotel you're going to. even high end hotels are not reliable on their 800 numbers as those ppl aren't familiar with individual hotels in the chain. they're just employees looking online. talk to the reservations manager on the phone at each hotel. get name, direct number and reservation number from THAT specific hotel manager. if you have that manager's name, number and reserv number, in my exp., that does a lot more than any 800 info. have fun, patrick, and call each hotel yourself. my advice.
    Last edited by cass; 09-14-2011 at 01:53 AM.

i have done both - reserve online and contact hotel directly. when i have reserved online i have STILL made a call to the actual hotel JUST to make sure my reservation was for a wheelchair accessible room. and i also confirm that it has a ROLL IN SHOWER, that's the main thing for me, sometimes they call it an accessible room but the bathroom isnt at all. I was in the Netherlands last year and i LOVED my hotel room, sure enough there was a roll in shower but no chair, LOL! i forgot to make sure of that! luckily i was visiting friends and they had a chair that they brought to the hotel, i dont know what i would have done if they werent there, just shower in my regular wheelchair? EW! so my suggestion is to confirm BOTH roll in shower AND bench or chair included.

I've used Expedia and Hotels.com. The best deals, that I have gotten, is dealing directly with the hotel. If you plan on a longer stay, 1-2 weeks, etc. YOu can negotiate a better rate. Another thing we do is use a credit card with "points" they add up fast and you can get get FREE rooms!!