Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pain From Migraines

Chocolate, red wine, stress and not enough sleep gives my daughter her migraines.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by keps View Post
    I get aura migraines. I do get a headache afterwards, but it's not incapacitating. It seems to me that those who get auras get less head pain?

I had a migraine last week. I couldn't see properly for about half an hour. I get zigzag flashing lines and lights, with lots of warped and distorted areas. As the flashing recedes, mistiness come in. As the aura went, the headache kicked in. It was pounding, but not unbearable. The first day of the aura is worst, but my head can throb every now and then for 2 or 3 days afterwards.

I've had migraine since about age 16 (now 34), and for the last few years, I've started getting arm weakness with the migraine, which I find scary. One time I also felt really confused too.

I definitely find stress makes me more likely to have a migraine...of course, stress is not easy to avoid.
    It's interesting to hear from people about the "aura" as I said I dont have that. Have you ever had an MRI Keps? or seen a neurologist considering the weakness and confusion? I would if I were you.

My migraine pain is so unbearable sometimes, I would let anyone give me anything while im in the throes of it, if i thought it would take the pain away and with not much thought to side effects, that's how bad they can get.

Migraines have been a part of my life ever since I have been 12 yrs old staring my mense. I was hoping all would stop after menopause but that is not the case. It has been 16 yrs since menopause and still no relief. I have had one MRI to rule out anything else causing them. I take 100 mg Sumatriptan generic alternative to Imitrex also. I can get relief with the first pill but it comes back the next day. Tried the Topamax but I didn't like the way it made me feel, the Maxalt didn't do anything. Right now I have been taking Cymbalta which is "suppose" to prevent them, but it in not really working that well.

The pain is usually right sided with blurred vision, sentivity to smell, light and sound. I don't usually vomit but have nausea.

The ice pick is a good explaination, I always say I feel like someone hit me on the side of the head with a sledge hammer and it is still in there.

It seems the cure for Cancer and Migraines are still something they just can't seem to figure out!! : {

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Chocolate, red wine, stress and not enough sleep gives my daughter her migraines.
    These are pretty well known triggers for a lot of migraine sufferers. I dont really drink wine, but stress and lack of sleep will set one right off, especially in combo. MSG - Bad for me. I do drink coffee and my neurologist is hounding me to stop. There has got to be more for me though because I just get too many. I am fighting one off since yesterday that is progressing but alas i'm currently losing the battle, so i think it is time to take the maxalt before it gets way out of hand. I try to be judicious with the Maxalt as my neurologist is trying to get me to lay off them somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    It's interesting to hear from people about the "aura" as I said I dont have that. Have you ever had an MRI Keps? or seen a neurologist considering the weakness and confusion? I would if I were you.

My migraine pain is so unbearable sometimes, I would let anyone give me anything while im in the throes of it, if i thought it would take the pain away and with not much thought to side effects, that's how bad they can get.
    I have had an MRI before, when I became sci. They did my head, and it was normal. I think I've read that weakness can be a symptom of migraine, and as it only occurs when I get a migraine, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. The confusion only happened once, a few years ago.

My ex's dad used to get aura without any head pain at all. My now bf has had aura migraines in the past, and his headache was not horrendous. They also didn't have nausea or vomiting, as I don't either. This is the kind of thing that makes me think those without aura are the most painful and sickening feeling. Reading your experiences and others on this thread reinforces that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieb354 View Post
    Migraines have been a part of my life ever since I have been 12 yrs old staring my mense. I was hoping all would stop after menopause but that is not the case. It has been 16 yrs since menopause and still no relief. I have had one MRI to rule out anything else causing them. I take 100 mg Sumatriptan generic alternative to Imitrex also. I can get relief with the first pill but it comes back the next day. Tried the Topamax but I didn't like the way it made me feel, the Maxalt didn't do anything. Right now I have been taking Cymbalta which is "suppose" to prevent them, but it in not really working that well.

The pain is usually right sided with blurred vision, sentivity to smell, light and sound. I don't usually vomit but have nausea.

The ice pick is a good explaination, I always say I feel like someone hit me on the side of the head with a sledge hammer and it is still in there.

It seems the cure for Cancer and Migraines are still something they just can't seem to figure out!! : {
    YES Julieb, exactly the ice pick, sledgehammer, it's awful, isn't it? It can be really mind blowing. They are not all of the same quality with me but most times they are just debilitating as I say.

yeah i dont know that menopause would stop your migraines as the lack of estrogen may be causing them.

Mine are also right-sided and thats where the lesions are on my brain.

Do you have specific triggers that you can pinpoint that seem to cause them? Anything you can do to prevent them other then meds?

At least don't use any hormones stuff to prevent pregnancy. My daughter got much better when she stopped the pill and she is now using something without hormones.

She has been much better the last years, but this year she is starting to take a master degree to be a clinical nurse, I just wait her phone calls complaining of migraines. She has found out she can't work as a nurse, she get migraines from working shift and the night shift is worse. She has to find something else to do and anyway, nurses don't earn very good even with a master. I hear it is different in the US but here the nurses are paid bad even if they have got a master. That is stress too, because she never has enough money.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    YES Julieb, exactly the ice pick, sledgehammer, it's awful, isn't it? It can be really mind blowing. They are not all of the same quality with me but most times they are just debilitating as I say.

yeah i dont know that menopause would stop your migraines as the lack of estrogen may be causing them.

Mine are also right-sided and thats where the lesions are on my brain.

Do you have specific triggers that you can pinpoint that seem to cause them? Anything you can do to prevent them other then meds?
    Mary, the triggers I have found were wine, aged cheese, sulfates which are sometimes found in hot dogs and wine, black licorice and chocolate. These I avoid faithfully. Also stress, I lost my job a year ago and now am enrolled in school to get an associates degree for medical assistant. It has been tough after being out of school for over 40 years, but I really do enjoy it. I have found when I know I am getting a quiz or test, that may trigger one.

I really want to get off the Cymbalta, it isn't helping anyway. I do not take any other medications other than for occational GERD and migraine meds. I am fortunate that way.

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    At least don't use any hormones stuff to prevent pregnancy. My daughter got much better when she stopped the pill and she is now using something without hormones.

She has been much better the last years, but this year she is starting to take a master degree to be a clinical nurse, I just wait her phone calls complaining of migraines. She has found out she can't work as a nurse, she get migraines from working shift and the night shift is worse. She has to find something else to do and anyway, nurses don't earn very good even with a master. I hear it is different in the US but here the nurses are paid bad even if they have got a master. That is stress too, because she never has enough money.
    Well that is a real shame wfe, that your daughter had to change career paths due to migraines and working off shifts. They have to be pretty debilitating for her to do this. They suck, they really do. If stress is a large factor for her, maybe some yoga and meditation may help. Exercise of any kind is obviously a good stress reliever and should be incorporated as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieb354 View Post
    Mary, the triggers I have found were wine, aged cheese, sulfates which are sometimes found in hot dogs and wine, black licorice and chocolate. These I avoid faithfully. Also stress, I lost my job a year ago and now am enrolled in school to get an associates degree for medical assistant. It has been tough after being out of school for over 40 years, but I really do enjoy it. I have found when I know I am getting a quiz or test, that may trigger one.

I really want to get off the Cymbalta, it isn't helping anyway. I do not take any other medications other than for occational GERD and migraine meds. I am fortunate that way.
    Yeah the stress of school may increase the frequency of your migraines but life is one big ball of stress and not much we can do about that except try and manage it as best we can. Again perhaps some meditation, yoga? for stress relief, these things really can work.

I really have to stop drinking coffee, chocolate etc, it is just that these things dont always seem to trigger a migraine. Sometimes I am fine consuming them. I think maybe a food log might help me. I've got to do something proactive, they are just too out of control.