Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pain From Migraines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pain From Migraines

I have migraine headaches several times a month. I currently take Maxalt 10mg prn and Topamax 25-50mg qd. I am guaranteed at the very least one migraine per month during menstruation. However i probably average (1) per week, lasting 2-3 days. I just saw my neurologist and going to have another brain MRI to see if there are any more lesions on my brain if attributed to migraines or something else. Pretty sure the lesions are from migraines but wants to see if any changes etc.

These headaches are debilitating. It's like having an ice pick driven through your head with a hammer for 2-3 days straight. Sometimes nausea and vomiting. I always have mine on the right side and would pay money if I could have one on the left side of my head for a change.

I've tried every OTC of course nothing works, make sure i keep hydrated etc. Menstruation, lack of sleep, stress all bring on or exacerbate. I also believe i am getting rebound headaches from the Maxalt at times. I haven't to this point kept a log to try to pinpoint triggers etc., but i'm going to start. The headaches got better after my cervical cord was decompressed, however they have gotten worse again.

Who else has migraines, what is it like, what do you do for them? thanks
    Last edited by Jim; 09-16-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: ?

My neurologist has prescribed Sumatriptan generic alternative to Imitrex for my migraine headaches. The directions are to take the medication at the first signs of the headaches. If after two hours there is no relief, take another tablet. I usually get enough relief from the first round of the medication that I don't have to take the second. But, migraines are funny that way...what works for one person doesn't do anything for another person.

All the best,
    GJ

I only get migraines a few times a year.
    There really is not a rhyme or reason I can figure out that brings them on.
    They always start behind my right eye.
    I never had them until a few years ago when ended up in ER.
    Maxalt was effective, but now my new insurance is balking paying for it so I have Sumatriptan Succinate (?) which I've only used once.
    I'm glad you are having the MRI.

My whole family, the females of course, has migraines. I am the lucky one, I have had it with headache one time each time I was pregnant. The rest of the time I only get the aura. I can't see clear the place I look, small needles in front of my eyes and the world is jumping. But instead of getting the pain, I am OK after a while.

I never take anything, but my daughter uses a nose spray.She has had it since she was 10 and can't take birth controll pill because then she gets it too often.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    My whole family, the females of course, has migraines. I am the lucky one, I have had it with headache one time each time I was pregnant. The rest of the time I only get the aura. I can't see clear the place I look, small needles in front of my eyes and the world is jumping. But instead of getting the pain, I am OK after a while.

I never take anything, but my daughter uses a nose spray.She has had it since she was 10 and can't take birth controll pill because then she gets it too often.
    that's interesting wfe, that you get the aura but no headache. I have no visual disturbances with mine and nothing other than pain that precedes it. I get very sensitive to sound however during the migraine like everything is amplified 100x, no real light sensitivity either.

What type of spray does your daughter take?

She is using Imigran http://www.gsk.no/imigran/imigran-nesespray.html

The good thing about it is that if people vomit, my daughter do, they still get the meds.

Yes, it is strange with the aura, I have had it as long as I remember but I didn't understand what it was. I thought I was the only lucky woman in the family without. My mother had, my aunt, my grandmother, my grandaunts( do you say that? My grandmother's sisters) and then my daughter. But then I had a few attacks, first the aura and then the headache and vomit and I understood I had migraine at least once a month. It is a little unpleasant with the aura but it is not a big problem as long I am without the aura.

It seems like it is called a silent migraine http://www.relieve-migraine-headache...-migraine.html. So in my case it is heditary and it seems like all of those in my family who have it get Alzheimer, too. I am close to the age my mother got the Alzheimer and I am scared
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    She is using Imigran http://www.gsk.no/imigran/imigran-nesespray.html

The good thing about it is that if people vomit, my daughter do, they still get the meds.

Yes, it is strange with the aura, I have had it as long as I remember but I didn't understand what it was. I thought I was the only lucky woman in the family without. My mother had, my aunt, my grandmother, my grandaunts( do you say that? My grandmother's sisters) and then my daughter. But then I had a few attacks, first the aura and then the headache and vomit and I understood I had migraine at least once a month. It is a little unpleasant with the aura but it is not a big problem as long I am without the aura.

It seems like it is called a silent migraine http://www.relieve-migraine-headache...-migraine.html. So in my case it is heditary and it seems like all of those in my family who have it get Alzheimer, too. I am close to the age my mother got the Alzheimer and I am scared
    I think some people say grandaunt here, i'm not sure. There are also Sublingual (under the tongue) varieties of meds. I don't really care for them as they have aspartame for flavor. I don't want the intake of aspartame every time I take a med. I should look into the intranasal route though. Well at least you don't have the actual pain anymore, i'm sure it's uncomfortable with the aura. The vomiting, although not much fun while it's happening, tends to reduce the pain somewhat with migraines.

I have to figure out a way, other than topamax to prevent them because I don't always remember to take it. In my case they are so frequent that prevention is of most concern to me.

gjnl - I take the Maxalt like that as well. First sign of something, it can usually be obliterated but not always. Also with me they tend to come back after some relief. Problem is, Maxalt is not a medication that should really be taken so frequently, so sometimes I try to hold off.

Linda - I have so many migraines that are so severe, I'm trying to focus on the preventative at this point. I really have to try and figure out if i can pinpoint the triggers. I mean I know the common ones but I dont think I am paying enough attention or there are so many triggers for me, I can't pinpoint to avoid.

I had a 3-4lb pyramid shape paper weight fall on my head from about 2 ft in the air, about 2 weeks ago, sustained a laceration to my scalp (no sutures needed, fair amt of blood but i got it to stop fairly quickly). Naturally a headache started immediately which turned into a 2-3 day nightmare, complete with vomiting. It made this month extra nice.. And I might add, it fell on the right side of my head, exactly where the feeling of having an ice pick driven through my head is.

I had a headache that started a few nights ago that nearly drove me to the emergency room, it was that bad. It however was my whole head but I took Maxalt and it took care of it but it was scary.

Migraines have been a part of my life ever since I have been 12 yrs old staring my mense. I was hoping all would stop after menopause but that is not the case. It has been 16 yrs since menopause and still no relief. I have had one MRI to rule out anything else causing them. I take 100 mg Sumatriptan generic alternative to Imitrex also. I can get relief with the first pill but it comes back the next day. Tried the Topamax but I didn't like the way it made me feel, the Maxalt didn't do anything. Right now I have been taking Cymbalta which is "suppose" to prevent them, but it in not really working that well.

The pain is usually right sided with blurred vision, sentivity to smell, light and sound. I don't usually vomit but have nausea.

The ice pick is a good explaination, I always say I feel like someone hit me on the side of the head with a sledge hammer and it is still in there.

It seems the cure for Cancer and Migraines are still something they just can't seem to figure out!! : {

Quote Originally Posted by Julieb354 View Post
    Migraines have been a part of my life ever since I have been 12 yrs old staring my mense. I was hoping all would stop after menopause but that is not the case. It has been 16 yrs since menopause and still no relief. I have had one MRI to rule out anything else causing them. I take 100 mg Sumatriptan generic alternative to Imitrex also. I can get relief with the first pill but it comes back the next day. Tried the Topamax but I didn't like the way it made me feel, the Maxalt didn't do anything. Right now I have been taking Cymbalta which is "suppose" to prevent them, but it in not really working that well.

The pain is usually right sided with blurred vision, sentivity to smell, light and sound. I don't usually vomit but have nausea.

The ice pick is a good explaination, I always say I feel like someone hit me on the side of the head with a sledge hammer and it is still in there.

It seems the cure for Cancer and Migraines are still something they just can't seem to figure out!! : {
    YES Julieb, exactly the ice pick, sledgehammer, it's awful, isn't it? It can be really mind blowing. They are not all of the same quality with me but most times they are just debilitating as I say.

yeah i dont know that menopause would stop your migraines as the lack of estrogen may be causing them.

Mine are also right-sided and thats where the lesions are on my brain.

Do you have specific triggers that you can pinpoint that seem to cause them? Anything you can do to prevent them other then meds?