Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Pain From Migraines

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The point is that it's all cumulative. So even if you feel that you can tolerate chocolate, a cup of coffee a day, etc. each item adds to the other pot: estrogen fluctuations + inadequate sleep + stress, etc. So, the sources of the triggers don't matter, it's the aggregate of them all that pushes you the breaking point where a headache is generated. 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 +3 . . . = HEADACHE.

Though each trigger is probably not equally weighted, the more of them that you can reduce/eliminate the farther away you are from approaching your threshold point (which is probably a moving target).
    I understand that. I am working on it damn it!
    (HA just kiddin ya stephen)

The book is basically having you do a detox of sorts, its how you identify allergies for instance, same idea. I'm going to get it and get hoppin' on more prevention. Unfortunately the stress aspect is a very big issue and not easily resolved so i will have to find a way to live with it while it is going on because when i get really really stressed, all hell breaks loose and all/any good practices that i have go down the tubes.

You guys and gals with migraines are a lot tougher than I am. I whine when I get just a regular little headache, which only happens every 3 or 4 years. I hope you can find some relief, Mary, and everyone else.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Video with Dr. Buchholz. (Pardon the venue.)

http://www.cbn.com/media/player/inde...uchholz_051006
    thanks for the video stephen. I'm pretty aware of what a lot of the migraine triggers are, it's where they are hidden as the md says. Fortunately i don't eat packaged food that contain various forms of MSG. I'll have to be conscious of the protein powders and bars i consume, I didn't think about that. I do consume some of the foods that i am aware trigger ie. nuts and cheeses. I wasn't aware of bananas, citrus - i believe i knew but i don't consume anyway, it would be a rarity, never drink soda.

In this short clip, he does make it seem though, that all the known triggers effect all 'migrainers'. I don't know if that is because the video is just an overview but not my understanding. Caffeine for instance while effects a lot of people, a big trigger, (i understand it's in a lot of the otc meds designed for migraines too) is not a trigger for all, even my neuro begrudgingly will concede this. I guess this is where the elimination process comes in

I appreciate you posting this because i do want to purchase the book to get into more detail, if anything it will motivate me. I'm also well aware of the rebound from the medications that are prescribed for migraines, which is why i am trying to concentrate more on prevention.

Another day today without a migraine since taking the topiramate consistently which is good. I am sleeping better because of it, as well. Not waking up with a headache is a good start to the day, decreasing my chance for a migraine I'm not going to mess with the topiramate for the time being but I am going to purchase book and starting weeding out triggers, known/unknown to me and will be better for me. A lot the foods/drinks that are triggers are either not particularly good for you anyway or you can certainly live without.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    You guys and gals with migraines are a lot tougher than I am. I whine when I get just a regular little headache, which only happens every 3 or 4 years. I hope you can find some relief, Mary, and everyone else.
    thanks bob, for me, so far so good with the topiramate. now while i have a respite from them, i have the good mind to work on prevention.

Well I have managed to get through a menstrual cycle without a migraine headache, which is quite significant for me. I'm not sure I can remember when this last happened. I have been consistent with 50mg Topiramate qhs for the last approx. 2 weeks. I am feeling physically better because I am sleeping better, not waking up with headaches, which was happening several times a week. They would either dissipate throughout the morning or escalate into migraines. So, so far, so good.

Wanted to post this article as well regarding exercise and prevention of migraines for any interested:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1010075500.htm

pain

have you been checked for chiari malformation .

go to chiarione.org and look at the symptoms
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous