Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Icon Product Shots

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    Your comments are all on-point.
    I knew you would agree with me.

Jeff, I understand where you are coming from, I have followed your threads on the Icon and Marvel and have read most of the posts. There has been a lot of positive posts and negative posts, I commend you for sticking it out.

In the end time will tell Icon wheelchair's place in history.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    Out of interest, where do your legs contact your frame, measured up from the floor, and measured down from your seat? What's the width of the frame at the point of contact? How many tries (eg. how many chairs) did it take you to get that spacing "just right"?
    The front seat height of my chair is 19" and my legs make contact with the frame at the bend, which is at ~18" from the floor and for the width (and at this location, height) of the 1.25" tubing. The width of the front end of this (tapered) chair, measured from inside the tubing, is 11.5". As for how many tries/chairs it took to get it right, well, that's not as straightforward an answer; it's only more recently that I decided that keeping my knees closer together was an objective of mine.

It's possible that laterally adjustable side guards might contribute to counteract leg splaying, though this was not the case with the Marvel. My recollection is that its side guards were too shallow (i.e., not forward enough along the length of the seat pan) to have an impact with this particular seating dimension.
    Last edited by stephen212; 09-13-2011 at 09:01 AM.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    on the sportaid pull-down menu, it asks what PSI to set shock at(not on the icon form), what does one enter for this value? Also, are the side guards removeable and if not, will the back still fold? Is there a "standard" fork option?

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    on the sportaid pull-down menu, it asks what PSI to set shock at(not on the icon form), what does one enter for this value? Also, are the side guards removeable and if not, will the back still fold? Is there a "standard" fork option?
    The psi is adjustable, so whatever you put in as a value isn't "locked in" - we recommend starting at 75% of your body weight, and adjusting from there. Because of the direct engagement of the shock, and the different "feel" that more or less air in the shock gives, there will be a bit of tuning to be done, depending on if you want a plush or aggressive ride.

Once it's dialed in, there is very little maintenance required on the shock - I "refresh" mine about twice a year - whether that's necessary or not is debatable - the shocks don't leach air over time the same way tires do). You can get a good shock pump at any reasonably stocked bike store for under $20 (like a tire pump but specific to the shock), and most good bike stores will refresh it for you at no charge.

The sideguards are removable, the upholstery back will fold without removing them - most if not all aftermarket solid backs should too.

The standard forks are our "in-house" design, and there's an upgrade to froglegs uni-tines also.
    Last edited by JeffAdams; 09-13-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Depending on the over all travel of the shock in question, a good rule of thumb is 15-25% of it's travel in 'sag' creates close to the smoothest ride as possible. Sag, meaning how much the shock compresses when sitting in it. For dropping off curbs and general around town use less, for lounging on air, use more.
    Regardless, a little sag is a must to get the most out of the shock as you really want it to top out or bottom out as little as possible. No sag = every return cycle it tops out. Too much, and bigger bumps cause bottom out. It's worth dialing in, IMO.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I understand how the shock works, just needed to know a good atarting point. Jeff answered my question @75% body weight. So, I weigh 140lbs., start with 105psi. and fine tune it from there.

I understand how the shock works, just needed to know a good atarting point. Jeff answered my question @75% body weight. So, I weigh 140lbs., start with 105psi. and fine tune it from there.
    depending on the pump I add 3-5 extra Lbs. that I might lose removing the pump from the shock

[QUOTE=stephen212;1420498]The front seat height of my chair is 19" and my legs make contact with the frame at the bend, which is at ~18" from the floor and for the width (and at this location, height) of the 1.25" tubing. The width of the front end of this (tapered) chair, measured from inside the tubing, is 11.5". As for how many tries/chairs it took to get it right, well, that's not as straightforward an answer; it's only more recently that I decided that keeping my knees closer together was an objective of mine.
    QUOTE]

And next week (month... year) you may have a different or additional objective... The Icon won't be perfect in all situations but it is infinately more adjustable than your current chair...

Jeff,

How hard will it be to switch from standard to uni-tine to full Frog Leg castors?

I currently have Frog Legs on two of my chairs and love them but was thinking of trying the Uni-tines... I intalled the last set of Frog Legs myself and it was a PITA that I would prefer not having to go thru again... The problem was in the design of the caster housing that required mounting the caster bolt prior to installing the polyurethane dampeners and retention bolt...

Don't know if others have the same question so thought I'd ask here rather than pm... Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by BriRi View Post
    And next week (month... year) you may have a different or additional objective... The Icon won't be perfect in all situations but it is infinately more adjustable than your current chair...
    I can't argue with that except. . . after having unsuccessfully trialed the Marvel, I don't believe that the Icon is significantly different with respect to my body dynamics, posture and preferences. I make great additional use of the front frame for transfers and assorted miscellaneous activities (e.g., certain aspects of my workout routine at the gym).

I want to be clear that I'm not arguing against the innovations of the Icon. I'm pro-Icon. I've forwarded information about the Icon to the out-patient seating clinician I see so that she can evaluate it and, hopefully, recommend it to patients for whom it will the right match. I think the Icon is a GREAT concept, bursting with innovation, and I'm confident that it will be the RIGHT chair for a large segment of users. Aside from all that, having spent time with Jeff, my esteem for him as a person, aside from his obvious professional talents, couldn't get much higher. So if my praise means anything to anyone, you can take that to the bank.
    Last edited by stephen212; 09-17-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: clarity